Anyone else finding just a few too many old DVDs just don't work any more?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 93curr, Apr 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

None of my failed DVD's was played more than probably twice. There's two that I'm certain were only played once. It's damage that's not apparent, when the layers of the disc separate some tiny amount, de-lamination. The top layer sometimes reads, sometimes not. Sitting in a hot player too long might be contributory....??? Then maybe it's just a manufacturing problem....???

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Got a thousand CDs. No probs.

eric777 and Holy Diver like this.
  3. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I've started experiencing this problem A LOT lately, especially after making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

gotcha..

5. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Everybody's original copy did.

6. Rachael Bee

Both copies I had played once and then kaput.

7. audiomixer

Even the newer one?

8. Rachael Bee

I suspect I got two of the old one. It's some while back. I've been afraid to buy another copy.

9. audiomixer

I finally bought another one this year. It's the same non-anamorphic widescreen transfer. I hope it's not a bust.

10. 93curr

93curr Senior Member Thread Starter

People who bought the movie and didn't like it are only responsible for one copy showing up in the used bins. People who bought the movie and loved it are responsible for the original DVD, the director's cut DVD and the BluRay showing up in the used bins once the deluxe Arrow edition came out. If they ever reissue it as a 4K disc, some major cities might need to open more used stores just to hold all the Arrow sets.

11. 93curr

93curr Senior Member Thread Starter

Haven't found any more non-working DVDs lately, but by BluRays of 'Full Metal Jacket' (the remastered edition) and 'Contempt' no longer play. :shake:

12. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I have not had that particular problem, but the first track on my 1987 Let It Be cd will not play on one of the cd players in my home. Nothing unusual can be seen visually.

13. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

The OP's inquiry here is about video DVD's, not music CD's. So let's please keep this thread on topic, thanks.

Al Kuenster and audiomixer like this.
  14. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

My Kentucky Fried Movie DVD died many years ago. Film at 11.

15. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Happened to me once (The Lion King)

16. I never had a problem with CDs doing that 'jump jump" issue unless it was a mastering error or damaged. As to DVDs there's bound to be some failures with time some of which has to do with improper sealing methods (such as what happened with some of the CDs pressed in the UK, etc.). When manufacturing was moved to Mexico for whatever reason, I did notice some issues but, again, it had more to do with the dual sided DVDs.

I'm sure I would have more problems if not for the fact that I got rid of most of my DVDs and replaced them with Blu-ray and 4K. There are a couple of titles of TV on DVD that I kept. i will have to take a look at those.

17. Great movie. The Blu-ray from Fox (with both versions of the film) and the Arrow Video both look exceptionally good with a very slight edge to the Arrow.

Michael and alexpop like this.
  18. alexpop

Director's contemplating a follow up but not Donnie Darko 2, similar related.

Michael likes this.
  19. Michael

doesn't seem plausible...unless he makes a third scenario?

20. Michael

I have that... not spending money on the Arrow version. My copy suits me just fine. : )

wayneklein likes this.
  21. Yeah, I didn't see a huge difference between my original BD and the Arrow. Some nice extras on the Arrow though. I probably wouldn't have bought it for myself, I got it as a gift. It's nice but not essential IMHO.

Michael likes this.
  22. Michael

a gift, yea that's always nice...Arrow can be quite pricey. They released one of my favorites for a ridiculous price...Night Of The Grizzly Deluxe Edition with Clint Walker....

23. alexpop

Similar related, yes.

Michael likes this.
  24. alexpop

I've still loads of DVDs to get, problem is finding them. Usually what I find is the same old.

Michael likes this.
  25. alexpop

Is there a movies : production thread ?
    The producer (s) job is to finance the film ..money source from banks, insurance companies etc... Also ..approach directors /actors. What else ?

Michael likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.