Anyone else here like The Monkees first then got into The Beatles as well?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeatleStair, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member Thread Starter

I see there are a lot of people here who like The Monkees and certainly a lot more who like The Beatles. I am a major fan of both and got into The Monkees when I was practically a toddler because my older brother – who is nine years older than me, I’m 45 – bought many 45s in the sixties and early 70s and I listened to his records. Actually, listened to and scratched many of his records!

I ended up loving all that music and really got into The Monkees young (I got Instant Replay for my third birthday – I know, weird kid) and then around 1975 I discovered The Beatles through the 1962-1966 set and The Beatles Second Album.

I was just curious if anyone else liked The Monkees first then gradually got into The Beatles. Of course, I’m sure there are tons of people here who hate Beatles and Monkees threads- this is just for those people who happen to really like both.

2. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

3. markytheM

markytheM Forum Resident

4. aural sax

aural sax Member

No, and sorry if this is interpreted as a threadcrap. I'm old enough to have experienced the Beatles first, and to me the Monkees were never more than a TV network concocted, weak imitation of the Beatles.

Their music was pleasant enough I suppose, but certainly nothing to be taken seriously.

5. music4life

music4life Senior Member

The Monkees>Elton John>The Beatles

6. pacandj

pacandj Forum Resident

I take offense to that! Just kidding. I would say the Beatles experience/music was probably instantly breathtaking (although I wasn't there) for its inspiration and originality. The Monkees needed a few more decades to be appreciated musically, and the body of work IS impressive. I'd say easily the third best pop catalogue of the '60's behind the Fabs and the Brothers Wilson. Not counting of course hard-rock classics like the Stones and the Who. For me the two groups go hand-in-hand. It was the Beatles first at about age 5 in 1978. The Monkees '86 resurgence overtook all other bands for me at the time, but then my love for the Monkees made me appreciate and love the Beatles more. I have since become a Beatles fanatic, but the Monkees definitely helped it along!

7. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Wow, almost my story identically... :agree:
    I was all of 3 yrs old when the show was first run on NBC. My older brother (by 6 yrs) was a big Monkees fan, and (he says) I cracked his PAC&J record. I got Instant Replay (and Changes and Barrel Full of Monkees) with money from my 7th birthday.
    Around the time of the red & blue albums, I got interested in the Beatles (heard songs on the radio), and bought the blue album, and got going from there.
    Must be my kindred brother...:winkgrin:

8. I liked The Beatles first and had little interest in The Monkees until a few years ago. Today I far prefer The Monkees.

9. dancarlsen

dancarlsen Forum Resident

Yes, I was into the Monkees first...

BUT ONLY BECAUSE I WAS 6 YEARS OLD!!!!!!!!

:hide: :D

10. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member Thread Starter

Funny, since around 1975 I've loved both bands pretty much equally. Nice to see some kindred spirits - hey, BobT:goodie:

I loved The Monkees first then The Beatles then it really exploded into pretty much most of the sixties as well - Mamas and Papas, Byrds, Simon and Garfunkel, etc. I even love Ricky Nelson and early sixties as well.

Don't know why some people can't see past the TV aspect of The Monkees - I've always thought their music ranked with the best pop/rock of the sixites.

Pretty much love most popular music from the 50's to 90s - kind of got lost past that with a few exceptions.

Ok, I even really like The Partridge Family, Archies bubblegum era as well!:hide:

11. I was turned off by the TV aspect of The Monkees at the time and didn't listen to them seriously. Only much later did I realize what I'd missed.

Get out from under that chair. That era made some fine bubblegum. :)

12. Jon Busey-Hunt

Jon Busey-Hunt Forum Resident

I most certainly liked the Monkees first. They were the very first band I ever liked. I couldn't have been more than four or five when I got my first Monkees record, ordered off the TV. I didn't discover the Beatles until much later.

I owe the Monkees my entire love of music, basically, and I still love them as much as i did back then.

13. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I had a few Beatles singles first but latched onto the Monkees big time when their show started.

14. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Yup. I had a couple of my mom's old Beatles records and dug them a little bit but was far more into the Stones and punk/hardcore. I was 14 in '86 and got heavily into the Monkees via the MTV marathons - perfect timing with all the Rhino reissues, the tours, etc. I didn't start listening to the Beatles seriously until late '87 or early '88... of course, once I truly discovered them, that was pretty much all I listened to for a year or so. Until I saw R.E.M., which kicked off my next obsession...

15. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

That is VERY similar to my story.

The first music that ever grabbed me was the first two Monkees LPs, which I inherited from my older brothers around 1969. I was 6 at the time, and my brothers were in junior high or high school. (They had already moved on to the Jefferson Airplane and stuff like that.)

It wasn't until around 1975 that I started collecting Beatles records in earnest.

16. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Yup...though for me it was Supertramp>The Monkees>The Beatles>John Lennon>Genesis> The Who>Led Zeppelin> Elton John>Paul McCartney.

17. Tom R

Tom R Forum Resident

Herb Alpert>The Monkees>The Beatles. Followed my older sister's evolution.

18. odysseyrevolver

odysseyrevolver Member

They should not be mentioned in the same sentence.

19. I think this is narrow minded. The Beatles are certainly worthy to be mentioned in the same sentence with the Monkees. After all they had a big influence on The Monkees and I believe they were friends.

20. Tom R

Tom R Forum Resident

The Monkees. The Beatles. There you go.

21. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

!

I,just like other kids during that period,got into The Beatles because of The Monkees (Supposed?) Influence in their music progress,,as for me,it began in 1968,when I'd got,thru my mom,"BB&M" in a Grocery Store,of all places (Yes,our neighborhood Grocery Store sold Lp's then! Ahh,those Good Ol' Days!) at only 69 Cents! Talk about Cheap! (I'd also bought The Doors' Debut Lp there too a week later at the same price!) I'd got the first Beatles' Lp's,sans "Meet the BEATLES!"('Cause my mom couldn't find it..I'd got it way later!) from the local Woolworth's at Christmas (1968!)..they were ALL in MONO!:righton:

22. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

Same here - love 'em both.

I turned five at the start of 1967. I watched the Beatles cartoon show and especially remember "Cant Buy Me Love", but I was too young to have seen their debut on "The Ed Sullivan Show".

I watched the Monkees from the start with my sister who is eight years older than me. It was probably 1968 when she gave me her copies of the Monkees' first three albums. Those albums are in my DNA. "Headquarters" was my favorite even then.

Around 1977, I got hooked on the Beatles thanks to "An Illustrated Record". I dug up my sister's copies of "Hey Jude" and "Abbey Road", got "Sgt. Pepper's..." from my cousin, and bought "Let It Be" out of the cut-out bins. By 1978, I had a job and spent all my money collecting the Beatles. I remain a tremendous fan.

In 1986, when I found the Monkees' "Then & Now..." CD, I instantly bought it and haven't stopped since.

23. 905

905 Senior Member

Me. I got into the Monkees watching the TV shows in syndication in 1986, then a year later saw The Compleat Beatles on PBS.

24. 905

905 Senior Member

Hungry troll wanting food.

25. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.