Anyone else moving back from CDs to vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Porkpie, Sep 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's disgusting! LOL...

2. Michael

yea, very cheap...picked up 30 used CDs for 2 dollars at a thrift store.

DME1061 likes this.
  3. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Well since I have my SACD player i'm moving back from vinyl to CD. Too bad nothing is done anymore in SACD or Blu Ray or DVD audio. So i'm playing catch up.

4. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

Wow! Nice one! They generally go for £UK1 here in the charity shops [thrift stores]. Not that long ago new Beatles CDs were £15.99 and you never saw them discounted...........

Michael likes this.
  5. Michael

they're giving them away these days in the thrift shops! and I'm buyin'! yea I remember those days...

Pete Puma likes this.
  6. Michael

gives you more time to have fun collecting them...when they're churning them out it can get overwhelming in the wallet...

Isamet likes this.
  7. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Yes, absolute nonsense. It takes about 10 seconds to put a record on the turntable and start playing it.

dkmonroe likes this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Yes, they’re about £1-1.50 in my neck of the woods too. Nothing good very often. Lots of Mariah, Will Young and Beyoncé much of the time.

9. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

....yeah, the good ones go quickly, you have to be there at the right time... my local Oxfam (dedicated) books and music shop gets good stuff but they charge more......and they're very clued up with vinyl these days........actually I've seen ridiculous prices put on original Beatles vinyl in G state.......

10. Bobby Morrow

Very rare I see anything decent vinyl wise in my local charity shops. Mostly it’s Pickwick cheapos and Top Of The Pops LPs from 1973 I come across. And No Parlez, of course.:)

11. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I actually seen vinyl at a Target store recently! The bookstores, or even Best Buy, is one thing, but I was gleefully amazed to see a section at Target.

Of course, the selection was small, but still remarkable that it's even given shelf place 30 years after its supposed demise.

The most important thing, though, is that they were sitting right beside some select CD's and Christmas offerings. And they got along great! No punches thrown. Who would've guessed... :)

12. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I dollar binned two albums at my local record store on my lunch hour today.

13. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Sometimes “two-fers” from the mid-70s use the same stampers as originals, e.g. The Who’s Quick One/Sell Out, Pretty Things’ SF Sorrow/Parachute, and reportedly Pink Floyd’s A Nice Pair (all UK pressings).

blackdograilroad likes this.
  14. Lovealego

Lovealego Senior Member

With the recent full campaigns from big artists done so well on vinyl, I had to get these upgrades in sound from my cds. The Beatles, George Harrison, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, Sting, Pink Floyd, etc all have great reissues on vinyl now. I always had some vinyl, but much more now. From the big artists, I am picking up most of them, from some of the other artists, I am just picking up my favorite albums.

My cd collection still grows at a pretty constant rate of 75 or so titles a year. I still pick up all the audiophile titles from AF, MOFI, APO etc.

15. augustwest

augustwest Forum Resident

I grew up in the era of vinyl and all it's quirks and it holds no romance for me. I was never so glad for the arrival for CD's and the elimination of my vinyl collection. Won't be returning to vinyl. I'll leave that fad to the hipsters and their deep pockets.

Another Steve and Halloween_Jack like this.
  16. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

And don't forget us un-hip with shallow pockets. ;)

troggy and e.s. like this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

It’s fun to do, but shops are much less inclined to offer vinyl cheaply now. Unless it’s absolute rubbish like the stuff I mentioned.

18. Giacomo Belbo

Giacomo Belbo Journalist for Rolling Stone 1976-1979

Both have their place I think. No problem at all with my CDs, I don't see the point on buying staff that the whole album is not worthy on vinyl (esp considering that most new staff are digitally sourced so no difference on sound seriously), but also a classic album is more vinyl territory. I'm happy with both.

19. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I have returned to cd after venturing back to vinyl for about three years. The cost and quality control drove me crazy.

Halloween_Jack likes this.
  20. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Bring back VHS and I'll be a happy man.

Giacomo Belbo likes this.
  21. realmdemagic

realmdemagic Forum Resident

I had a handful of records as kid, but CDs were the thing when I started collecting music during my teenage years.
    I had at one time well over a 1,000, but sort of stopped purchasing CDs when I got a subscription to Google Play.

I've been buying vinyl since the late 90s, but due to space have limited the vinyl collection to just my favorite artists and their respective discographies.
    I want to hear my absolute favorite music on vinyl, everything else I'm content with streaming/digital.

Clanceman likes this.
  22. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

I hope you all are right, psychologically it makes sense, but if you check out the audio hardware forums, they make a pretty passionate case for putting out the necessary $$$. I need to get my rear end over to a high-end audio shop and let the sales person give me a demonstration of some different turntables. Then again…they're probably motivated to sell me something expensive, right?

23. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

People who are obsessed with gear are always going to be pushing the expensive options, and why not? They probably DO sound incredible, but that doesn't mean that more modest options are crap to be avoided. It's the same with anything - is the local foodie going to tell you to drop by the local supermarket and pick up some ground chuck and a bottle of McCormick's steak seasoning? Heck no, he's going to recommend you grind your own Angus beef if you want a REAL hamburger.

Mooserfan likes this.
  24. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

I going the other way mostly.

25. Kyle M.

Kyle M. Forum Resident

I got into vinyl because I grew up with CD's and the Napster/Limewire craze. Downloaded music and burnt CD's was all I had in my teenage years. I had two turntables throughout my youth and recently decided to give vinyl a more serious chance. I had always wanted a home stereo setup but had never had anything beyond mid range computer speakers. So I recently picked up turntable, amp, and speakers that I pieced together from various sources, and started reading about and studying what I need to know about vinyl. So far I much prefer the experience to any other music medium I've been involved in. I enjoy the fact that I'm actually involved in the process and I have physical music in my hands, I don't mind that I have to get up and flip records every 20 minutes it's just part of the process, I don't mind the occasional pop or click. I don't have any albums that are really beat up so it's not much of a problem. I enjoy having huge cover art and lyric sheets plus the other neat stuff you sometimes get with records, posters, cutouts, booklets, etc. I find that I can justify $20 for a new record a lot easier than $10-$15 for a CD, and most of the albums I've bought I've bought used for $3-$10 each. I've got about 55 albums, and hardware wise I'm perfectly happy with my setup, I'm not an audiophile and doubt I'll ever ascend to that level. I'm just a guy trying to have fun and I don't see myself ever going back. I'm not gonna argue about vinyl sounding better but to my ears it sounds different and I prefer the sound I get from it, even if I do have mediocre hardware. I can plug my pc into my receiver and play all the digital files I want, but it's just not the same sound or experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.