Anyone else out there discovering and becoming addicted to "Downton Abbey"?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Thermionic Dude, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident Thread Starter

Old news for those of you in the UK I realize, but I've just discovered this excellent series (currently running on PBS). I just finished the first season and am hooked. The premise of the series is not really groundbreaking in and of itself, it's just the execution which is mostly flawless.

I don't want to give anything more than a "tease" away because I don't want to detract from anyone's viewing enjoyment. The series starts in 1912, immediately following the sinking of the Titanic, which claims the life of the only son of the Earl of Grantham, rendering him without an heir to his title and land. Of course an heir must be found, and it ends up being a distant cousin, who was not raised in an aristocratic environment. It's a simple premise (and probably not terribly "original" to be honest), but the writers and actors do a simply masterful job at fleshing it out. There are heroes and villans, love stories, humor, and a great sense of historical accuracy, and each episode left me looking forward to the next.

A great example of just how good TV can be when it doesn't race toward the lowest common denominator, and is about as rare as turtle fur in this day and age of Snookie, the Kardashians, and the various spoiled housewifes.

driverdrummer and four sticks like this.
  2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

We recently watched the 1st series on DVD and were blown away. I think we blew through the whole disc in 3-4 days. We love BBC costume drama but we were unprepared for how brilliant this series is on every level. It's a triumph. The end of the first series had me thinking, "This is when that world ended. Things were irrovecably changed at that point in history."

We recently watched the reboot of "Upstairs Downstairs" and it's nearly as good. A very pleasant surprise indeed.

3. autodidact

autodidact Forum Resident

I was completely satisfied with the first and second seasons. I fear the third season may veer into soap opera territory, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Another British show we have thoroughly enjoyed -- not sure I would call it a costume drama, but it is a period piece -- is Lark Rise To Candleford. They maintained high quality throughout four seasons, and although it was sad to see it end, they were perhaps smart to go out on a very high note.

four sticks likes this.
  4. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Its not BBC, its ITV
    It looks lovely, the frocks are pretty,the house and estate the star.
    The script is utter tosh.
    Put your brain under your seat and enjoy.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  5. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I love Downton Abbey. That moment in history in particular (the world just prior to/during the Great War, the "Edwardian" age) is fascinating to me; as David mentioned, that was the end of the old world and the beginning of the modern one. I also loved Brideshead Revisited, Jewel In The Crown and many others. Historical dramas, usually involving the British and/or their Empire. It's where a lot of Americans of a certain age got their Anglophilia; along with Ray Davies songs and suchlike. I'll bet though, that these shows are marketed more at the US than the UK... It's what I call "classic" Masterpiece Theater-type production, BBC/PBS; a refuge from reality TV, cop shows, etc. For me, an escape from (a lot of) today's culture.

driverdrummer and Alan2 like this.
  6. Senn20

Senn20 Forum Resident

Big fan of Downton Abbey here too.

7. dkmonroe

Can you elaborate? I wouldn't argue the point since I don't know very much about the period and situations, but I am curious to hear some critical analysis.

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The two series of "Downton Abbey" aired to date have been phenomenally successful in the UK. Series One was edited (to its detriment) to run in fewer time slots during its US run, but is completely intact on DVD/Blu-ray (and on Netflix). Does anyone know if PBS is airing the second series unedited on "Masterpiece" in the US?

9. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

10. Great show. Love it.

Seems a little high brow for an ITV production though ....

11. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Yep, it's ITV. If it was BBC they would keep the show in the vaults after a few broadcasts, and let nobody see it (cause the BBC really are like that).

12. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

+1. An absolutely brilliant show. The wife and I are enjoying it immensely.

Although, we were somewhat dissatisfied with the latest version of Upstairs Downstairs. We're huge fans of the original, but the reboot version seemed to lack the spark or character development that made the original so good. Although, it might be that the 2010 UD was edited to air on PBS, thus loosing some of the magic and critical plot elements. It seemed by the time were just getting into it, it ended. Also, it had the misfortune of airing around the same time as Downton Abbey, which IMHO, out "Upstairs Downstars'd" the 2010 Upstairs Downstairs.

Favourite line from Downton season 1……….“What’s a weekend?” – The Rt Hon Violet, Countess of Grantham as played by Dame Maggie Smith.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Is that good?

I loved the 1970s version of Upstairs Downstairs, which was one of the biggest hit British shows our PBS ever had.

14. Geoff

Geoff Senior Member

Are you asking about the word 'Tosh', Vidiot? If so, no not good at all... Although I can't say I agree- we enjoyed the show a lot, especially series 1.

15. dkmonroe

I have to admit, I have never seen the original UD so I didn't know what to expect. I just thought that it was a reboot of an old show and I had never heard that it was being rebooted until I saw the DVD, therefore my expectations were very low. I certainly wasn't expecting the British Union of Fascists to turn up! :laugh:

16. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I like it. I did like the first season better than the second season though. I feel the second season is a bit more soap opera-ish :)

17. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

i loved the first series and am taping the second series which i'll be diving into shortly...I'm a pretty big fan of Masterpiece fare though...

18. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

The multi-talented and award winning Julian Fellows is the creator of DA and this genre is his metier.

While not perfect, this show still beats anything in the 'reality' genre. I suspend my critical thinking while watching TV and try to enjoy it as free entertainment. The costumes and scenery are worth the watch and I don't feel embarrassed to watch the show as I do feel when trying to watch most reality based shows.

YMMV

19. Ere

Ere Senior Member

[​IMG]
    :love:

[​IMG]

:love::love:

FACE OF BOE likes this.
  20. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Watched all of season one last year and watching season two on PBS, quite enjoyable.

21. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Never saw Season 1 but picked up on it during Season 2 and have to admit was rivetted to the screen. Ok the scripts ain't great (tosh) as you can guess what is about to happen before it does but for me it makes it all the better.

22. Senn20

Senn20 Forum Resident

+1, 2, 3 & 4.

23. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I like the youngest sister.

jonathan likes this.
  24. Geoff

Geoff Senior Member

As do I- gorgeous she is! Was a shock to see her in the second episode of Black Mirror though, especially given the ending.

25. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Behold the Crawley sisters

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.