Anyone else out there discovering and becoming addicted to "Downton Abbey"?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Thermionic Dude, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

That sucks, and I suspect it bodes ill for the series. When two of the major cast members jump ship, that seems to suggest to me that either the scripts are going downhill or there's conflict in the team. Fortunately the ensemble is quite large so they may cope, but sheesh, she's one of the major antagonists, and the only really intelligent one. And she has yet to really pay for causing the miscarriage of who would have been the next Lord Grantham, so there's a lot of built up outrage going to waste.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm cynical enough to say that this might have been a negotiating problem. These two actors were integral to the show, and it's possible they went to the producers and said, "hey! I want a lot more dough!" Crap like this happens all the time, and the BBC is not known for being spendthrifts on cast members.

On a similar note: I had heard that some of the actors on Walking Dead (another hugely-rated limited series) went to the network for a big raise, and the execs told them, "you know, it'd be sad if your character got bitten by a zombie in next week's episode. But luckily, we'll run into another band of survivors, and damned if one of them doesn't look just like you!" Any of them can be replaced.

But I think the show will take a hit from this. One character dropping out I can see; two is gonna be a problem.

dkmonroe likes this.
  3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I'm no expert on the acting business but it doesn't seem like a great move to bail from a show as phenomenally popular as DA over a salary negotiation. Yeah, there's a chance both of these people may go on to fabulously successful movie careers, but it seems just as likely that they'll be, "So-and-so Formerly Of Downton Abbey" in five years. Dan Stevens especially - he was good in his role but frankly, he doesn't seem to have a huge range of expression. I don't think he's going to be the next blockbuster movie star out of the UK.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Maybe he'll be the British version of Pernell Roberts (the guy who bailed on Bonanza and then spent almost ten years, unable to get arrested). Or maybe the British version of McLean Stevenson! Sad.

benjaminhuf and dkmonroe like this.
  5. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

If I recall correctly, DOWNTON ABBEY is an ITV production, and not from the BBC.

Harry

Dan C likes this.
  6. That's right, It's an ITV production.

7. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Bugger. I really wanted to see some resolution to the soap debacle - especially now that Bates and Anna know (yet really don't know what they know).

I agree that the loss of 3 major characters all at once, along with adding a bunch of new faces changes the vibe of the show. Will it be too much to overcome? Guess we'll find out.

8. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Like rats from a sinking ship?

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

10. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Ahhh bloody why did I read this thread!! I worked out that Sybil was going to die but didn't know about Matthew Crawley. :realmad:

11. That's a shame, I love to hate her.

12. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Although it wasn't due to this thread, I also had that "minor nugget" of information revealed to me prematurely, and I was more than p*ssed. I've learned to stay away from threads or any other info about a show until I'm completely caught up with said show.

13. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I did the same, remaining out of this thread while catching up. Once caught up - and even ahead of the PBS airings - I felt rather safe.

But now that news is beginning to "leak" about cast changes, hires, story directions, because the series is so white-hot at the moment, I might be bowing out for awhile. I wouldn't mind discussions about what has already happened, but the newshounds are so eager to scoop one another that they're throwing out any factoid willy nilly, and I don't need that. S4 will surface when it surfaces, and I'd rather enjoy it without spoilage.

Harry
    ...over and out...

14. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Knowing what is going to happen and how it unfolds are different things. I wouldn't have missed the Hobbit movie just because I read the book a few times.

I too wish that I didn't know some of these things but I am now looking forward to seeing the artistry as to how tale unfurls. So far, Fellowes as proven to be up to the task.

Vidiot likes this.
  15. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

We finished season 3 earlier today and were unprepared for the ending. That it was due to contractual issues makes it more understandable than a plot development, although it was incredibly bleak. Downbeat Abbey, anyone?

Still think the series is a winner: beautifully acted, shot and scripted. A fine alternative to much of the rubbish on TV today.

16. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

I'm thrilled Matthew Crawley won't be back for next season. He was, by far, my least favorite lead character. Every Matthew moment just reeked of cheese and overacting.

thermal123 and LivingForever like this.
  17. bluejeanbaby

bluejeanbaby Forum Resident

So Ms. O'Brien won't be there right from the start? Not killing her off the article says, so she'll probably be called away??
    Shirley McLaine is coming back again? Was disappointed she wasn't in more episodes in season 3. wonder how many in season 4.

18. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I wonder if they'll send O'Brien off to Scotland, since Rose's mother (can't remember her name right now) seemed to like O'Brien's hairstyling techniques.

19. That could work, and once the show jumps the shark she could get killed off by Nessie. ;)

20. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I'm an idiot, I just realized today that the name of this show is "Downton" not "Downtown" which is what I've been seeing the title as all this time. Don't watch the show so I've only been going by seeing the title advertised.

21. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

She told the ladies maid in Scotland that she didn't have any qualms about not playing nice after she tried to get O'Brien drunk and O'Brien did say she wanted to travel, so she'll probably head off to the subcontinent.

Chad

jriems likes this.
  22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

A friend of mine swears there was a Saturday Night Live sketch where they did an urban ghetto version as "Downtown Alley," but I think it's just an ugly rumor.

23. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

One reviewer said he quickly went from charmy to smarmy :)

24. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

Don't worry - it's what separates the viewers from the non-viewers. An almost foolproof test.

25. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Yep, they've got a built-in "out" for her by having her go to work on Shrimpy's estate as the new lady's maid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.