Anyone else out there discovering and becoming addicted to "Downton Abbey"?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Thermionic Dude, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. Good to know. Thanks.

1. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I can't believe they killed off the one character that appears in the opening credits!

2. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Funny, I just saw the season 5 episode that I think was being referred to originally (it was broadcast in US this week). He does this with some weird gadget that he definitely did not use before. Weird & neat.

3. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Dangit! I just clicked on a spoiler tag without thinking about this! :) At least it didn't have all of the details so I am still in for a surprise.

4. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

What has always caught my attention is that he always goes outside for a smoke break. I worked in a restaurant as a teen and people didn't do that even then. I thought it was a more common trend due to not being allowed to smoke indoors.

5. DreadPikathulhu

It was a pretty interesting contraption. I liked how you could gradually tip the bottle as it poured out - he didn't just dump it all into cheesecloth at once.

Details here:

http://www.wineloverspage.com/port/decant.phtml

mmars982 likes this.
  6. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Wow, Lord Grantham (literally) laid the smack down in last night's episode! He certainly has been neglecting Cora, but Mr. Bricker(?) still had it coming, the way he disrespected Robert in his own home, in his own bedroom of all places!

bluejeanbaby and Vidiot like this.
  7. MrTim

MrTim Forum Resident

Love the show, a great cast portraying very interesting characters with a great story line what's not to like. Costco currently has Season 5 available just got done watching it last night with my wife.

8. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

It's being reported that season six will be the show's last.

That's part of why I skipped buying this season on BD. Figure I'll just wait for the complete series boxset at this point.

9. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I'll repeat the comment of a cheeky writer and suggest that the inevitable spinoff needs to be Violet and Isobel travelling around the country solving murders. :laugh:

chacha, jriems and jpelg like this.
  10. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

On a serious note, wasn't there talk of a prequel spin-off series?

I also remember reading something about Julian Fellowes writing/producing an American show about the Gilded Age.

dkmonroe likes this.
  11. dkmonroe

That's what I'd heard of (the American series). Never heard about a prequel.

I expect that the series will end with Violet's death (not a spoiler, just speculation). I'll be disappointed if it ends on the 6th season, there just seems to be too many compelling stories to wrap up in just one short season.

12. DreadPikathulhu

I'm glad to see it ending while it is still on top and not dragging it out. It's a perfect series to revisit every few years due to never appearing dated, and the limited number of episodes make it easy to consume.

13. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

I wonder which Lord Grantham would like less, Lady Rose dating a black man or a Jewish man?

Chad

14. DreadPikathulhu

I thought the season wrapped up pretty well, though there are several long-standing story lines that I hope we never hear about again. Overall an improvement over season 4.

Vidiot and mmars982 like this.
  15. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I hadn't realized it was the end of the season. :)

Lot's of loose endings. I though Branson would take off with Bunting.

16. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

The name of the series is going to be "Better Call Violet".

Chad

Tex_Writer likes this.
  17. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

There are still 4 more episodes of this season. The season ends March 1.

18. DreadPikathulhu

Many of us already have copies of the DVD set or streaming, which all wrapped up last week. Now we spend a month waiting for everyone else to catch up.

I was pleasantly surprised when Miss Bunting disappeared several episodes before the finale.

mmars982 likes this.
  19. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

So, everyone all caught up now?

I feel like it's becoming a bit stale.

Anna getting arrested and being in prison felt like a possible "jump the shark" moment. Why do they keep returning to that same stupid storyline?

We met Mary's season six suitor in this season's finale, of course. Yawn.

Carson and Mrs. Hughes getting engaged is kind of nice, but a bit sappy.

I'm sorry to see Tom Branson go.

I don't know, though... I look back on this season and feel like all of the storylines were needlessly dragged out and in the end not a whole lot happened. Assuming season six is the final season, I hope that really kicks the show into high gear, plot-wise.

robertawillisjr likes this.
  20. dkmonroe

I don't think that the lingering suspicion over Anna is the "jump the shark" moment, rather I think that Bates writing the confession, skipping to Ireland and then being able to return is perhaps more "jump the shark." I do believe that the death of Green would continue to hang a cloud over the lives of the Bates', but I doubt that Mr. Bates would have been able to return so easily after having submitted a confession and then escaping arrest. The alibi seems credible but I still think that his flight would have significant consequences.

We may be sick of the Anna/Bates/Green story, but in real life they would still be dealing with it until the death of Mr. Green was solidly explained.

A true "jump the shark" moment would be Tom hooking up with Mary, but I would have welcomed it all the same because Tom's an interesting and stouthearted character, and all of Mary's suitors have been varying degrees of crap! :laugh:

21. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Really, in 1924, the London police had nothing better to do than to hunt for years for the killer of a valet? Whose employer didn't even seem to care about the crime anymore? Who was discovered to be a sexual predator? And make constant trips to Yorkshire?

Vidiot, Tex_Writer and John B Good like this.
  22. dkmonroe

I dunno about the state of police affairs in 1924, but I figure all it would take is one dogged detective who wasn't willing to let a murder go unsolved to create that situation. Policemen, then and now, make their careers by solving crimes. Sure, it's also likely that the detective might have said, "Who cares about this low-class twit", but it seems likely that a detective might continue to pursue the case if there was something to go on.

robertawillisjr likes this.
  23. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Personally I found it pretty implausible. And really there wasn't much to go on, making it all the more ridiculous.

24. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Don't assume the storyline is over just because Bates came back (though I wish it was). We haven't seen what the consequences are for him on his return, nor has Anna been cleared of the crime.

It was odd to me that Molesley and Baxter were doggedly finding Bates an alibi when he clearly wanted the crime to be pinned on him.

Vidiot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.