Anyone else prefer the slow Beggar's Banquet - Rolling Stones

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 905, Jun 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 905

905 Senior Member Thread Starter

The first time I listened to this album was the 2002 corrected version. But not long ago I picked up the old CD of it, and I love the slower speed. Jigsaw Puzzle and Stray Cat Blues and well, everything else just has that spook to it at the slower speed.
    I know, it's just me but I didn't "get" this album until I heard it at a slower speed.

Zeppelin fan and mschrist like this.
  2. Prism

Prism Damn Dirty Ape!

People's taste in music differ and the only opinion that really matters is your own. That said, I think you will find your opinion on BB is the minority opinion here. I prefer the 2002 cd myself

tootull, mschrist, 905 and 1 other person like this.
  3. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

I honestly had no idea there were different versions relating to the speed of the album. Mind blown, I suppose!

4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Slow or fast, I don't care. It's a great album.

5. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a tempo of wealth and taste...

In all seriousness, I tend to go back and forth over the two tempos on a song by song basis. I think some of the more earthy, acoustic flavored tracks benefit from the slightly slower mix, while others benefit because of the opposite - it gives the track a better and more vital energy.

I've come to really prefer Sympathy For The Devil at the correct brisker speed as I feel it brings the performance together more emphatically - the conga drums, Mick's vocals, and Keith's lead licks all burst through with a bit more vitality. But any mix of this album is still a good mix.

6. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

I prefer the slower version, but I am almost certain that's only because it's what I'm used to.

7. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

I like "Parachute Woman" slower. It's druggier. But Keith's vocals and the gospel backing vocals on"Salt of the Earth" never sounded right to me on the slower version. That's the dead giveaway that something's not quite right.

Larry L, Mr Sam, Mark J and 1 other person like this.
  8. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

This is the first I have heard of this. Does anyone have a link to slow and fast of one track for comparison for me or can point out which two releases I need to buy?

Vic_1957 and Mickey2 like this.
  9. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

This is the first I've heard of this as well, and I have the 2002 remaster. Unfortunately , I don't have the earlier version on CD so I can't compare, and it's been years since i owned a turntable or cassette player so it's no use dragging out my old copies.

10. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Same here. Mind probably less blown, though.

11. David del Toro

David del Toro Forum Resident

Well, it's up to prefference i guess. a lot of people grew up listening to the slow version and a lot of people want to listen to the session speed. Most people don't care.

12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I never realized that Beggars Banquet was pressed in slower speed because (and here it comes -> ) my very first turntable actually had a faster rotation speed (probably 34rpm for unknown reasons, the 44rpm was correct though).
    Now I have another turntable but with accurate speed 33 1/3 and 45. I also have two versions of the album (London Records 1968 and Abkco Remaster 2002). Funny thing is I still didn't realize those speed differences.^^

bzfgt and mschrist like this.
  13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Don't like messing with history ( hey pepper)so I like the UK 1968 LP.
    Speed ? STP.

DrBeatle and hardknox like this.
  14. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I doubt many people would discern a difference, or 'know' that one was 'slower' -- unless the two were compared back to back.

Simon A and The Beave like this.
  15. Christophe Lethimonnier

Christophe Lethimonnier Forum Resident

I prefer the slow version. Especially on my Greek press! My favorite press of this album. I have a pressing UK (4K / 3K), german pressing DMM, SACD ... On the SACD, there is a distortion on the title "Stray cat blues"... weird!?

Sorry guys for my rudimentary english, je suis français !

16. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

How different are they? I assume it's not a full semitone or something. I have an old cd from the 90s and a recent clear vinyl but not home now to compare.

17. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

The speed-corrected Beggars Banquet is by far ABKCO's crowning achievement, together with the mono versions of Aftermath, Between The Buttons and Their Satanic Majesties Request. I think there is very few negative voices on those releases. On the rest of the 60's material, opinions are different and mixed.

Also, ABKCO's vinyl of Beggars Banquet are praised everywhere, even though it comes from a 'digital' source.

andrewskyDE and Maffune like this.
  18. I never knew about this either. I have the Decca CD 800 084-2. It says it's "Digitally Remastered", but it doesn't say when or by whom. I don't recall where or when I bought it, but it was long before 2002.

According to a customer's review on Amazon, "This is one of the original and rare Rolling Stones European CD issues that would occasionally pop up in indie record stores when CDs first hit the US market. They were soon to disappear when Abkco began manufacturing its own inferior versions for the US market. These early European editions were digitally remastered by Mobile Fidelity, and they were superior sounding to their US counterparts. This is the only instance of MoFi remastering for another label other than their own." I have no idea if this is true, but I do know the CD sounds very good.

19. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock

Have always preferred the 1968 speed. And I have posted here before on why I think it's far from clear that the 2002 is a "correction."

20. slane

slane Forum Resident

It's the same mix, just at different speeds.

tdavis0903 likes this.
  21. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

There are two mixes actually, stereo and mono.

22. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Three if you count the 5.1 surround sound mix!

I remember reading — and I don't have one to confirm — that original pressings of the Beggars album in mono had the single mix, which was printed as a dedicated true mono mix, at the faster speed but the rest of the album (presumably folded down from the slow-running stereo master tape) was at the slower pitch. Pretty compelling evidence that the slower speed is a mistake if you ask me

23. David del Toro

David del Toro Forum Resident

There's a surround mix of Beggars Banquet?

All Down The Line likes this.
  24. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Not quite.

Stereo and True Mono, albeit only for Sympathy, the rest is a fold down

25. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident

The mono version of Sympathy For The Devil is one of the best things I have heard on record. It was a digital source (the whole box) but damn it sounds amazing! Shame that it was their last dedicated mono mix :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.