Anyone else receive their 1st VNYL subscription LPs package?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FMills, May 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FMills

FMills Member Thread Starter

I assume most folks here have heard about the Kickstarter-funded VNYL program: kind of a cross between Netflix and the Sub Pop Singles Club in which each month the company "hand curates" (that's some kinda euphemism, but I digress...) 3 LPs for you, based on some basic genre likes/dislikes you submit along with a "mood" you want to be feeling. (Go here if you haven't heard about it: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/new-record-service-vnyl-distributes-lps-like-netflix-20150109)

So out of curiosity I pledged, and I just received my initial 3LP shipment, the first of three that my pledge netted me (after that the subscription kicks in, which you can cancel at anytime). A nice young employee of VNYL named Teal sent me the following albums based on my genre likes and the mood I selected for this installment (#WORK was the mood): Pablo Cruise - Worlds Away; Toto - Hydra; Leon & Mary Russell - Make Love to the Music.

Wow. I am sure that someone, somewhere, would love to own those albums, and to be fair they sold a decent amount back in the day; the Pablo album even has that big hit "Love Will Find Away" for the budding mixtape compiler. But seriously - Pablo Cruise, Toto and Leon & Mary?!? These are 99-cent bin LPs, and I say that as the manager of a record store where we currently have 2 of those 3 albums in our 99-cent bin! We can't give this kind of stuff away even when we have a half-off sale - they just sit there alongside all the Dan Fogelberg, Loggins & Messina and Eddie Money records gathering dust.

Curious to know if anyone else joined up, what they received, and their reaction to said "hand curation" process. -FM

SethG, -=Rudy=-, turnersmemo and 5 others like this.
  2. hidden1one

hidden1one Forum Resident

3. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Oh man. I follow that dude on Instagram. Jeez what does this hand curated subscription service cost?

Absolutely hilarious someone mailed those to a record store manager without a hint of irony.

Ash76, PBo, Brudy and 3 others like this.
  4. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Ha, well....I thought the idea was odd anyway.

danner and hidden1one like this.
  5. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Well, it's not like first impressions count, or anything.

milankey, Blender and hidden1one like this.
  6. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

My guess is VNYL owns a record store a found a new way to get rid of that old, dusty stock.

Dudley Morris, pez, BuzzMan and 9 others like this.
  7. Arkay_East

Surprisingly no. The IG account shows a nice (new) startup with a little bit of warehouse space. Not sure about the stock though. I can only imagine weeks of dollar bin raids but who knows.

Blender and hidden1one like this.
  8. FMills

FMills Member Thread Starter

"Dollar bin raids" for sure.I will add that at least the records were in great shape and also bagged. Meanwhile, just noticed that the VNYL twitter page (https://twitter.com/getvnyl) now includes this:

@getvnyl
    Monthly hand-curated vinyl membership club. New record store at 1136 Abbot Kinney Blvd, Venice CA

9. Arkay_East

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  10. Arkay_East

Also note that you are now essentially buying the records with no option to return them.

11. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

This made me laugh :) :

'Took a peek at your links, saw a ton of artists I love as well, like Spiritualized, Beach House, and LCD Soundsystem, along with plenty of others! Hope you dig these great records by Lionel Richie, Michael Quatro, and a sweet ’70s hits compilation while you spend time with someone special.'

turnersmemo, SwollenGoat, PBo and 3 others like this.
  12. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

Are these new pressings or used?

hutchguv likes this.
  13. Arkay_East

Evidently used. As in picked up at Goodwill for 50cents each.

hidden1one likes this.
  14. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

This is a joke or how to prize $36K from a bunch of mugs.

JNTEX and john lennonist like this.
  15. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

oh this is a colossal dud?

go figure!

hidden1one likes this.
  16. Arkay_East

I took a peek in your house and saw a ton of high end tableware I love as well, like Waterford, Wedgewood and Royal Copenhagen along with plenty of others! Hope you dig this dirty frisbee and red AND green Solo cups while you spend time with someone special!

Telemark, Dudley Morris, Jrr and 20 others like this.
  17. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

Here's another classic, lol:

If you looked at my Discogs and thought that Jefferson Airplane, Dan Fogelberg, and ENGLAND DAN AND JOHN FORD COLEY were albums I would like, you need to re-assess your business, dude, because it’s not working. I’m not giving those records to anyone, I’m sending them back to you and I don’t even give a **** if you give me my money back. Go pawn that **** off on someone else.

18. lpfreak1170

lpfreak1170 Senior Member

Ouch.

hidden1one likes this.
  19. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

It was a lot harder to rip people off before the Internet came along.
    Thanks Internet! And thanks Kickstarter for offering no legal recourse!!

-=Rudy=-, wayneklein, Scotbot and 2 others like this.
  20. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Wow that is no bueno at all :( I would be super irritated if I waited and waited and got crap in the box.

21. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

He's not running a business. He's running a SCAM.

And a very successful one at that. Incredibly rare that you can swindle people to the tune of $36K (plus money from any future suckers) and not violate a single law.

bluemooze, -=Rudy=-, BuzzMan and 5 others like this.
  22. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

reading through the numerous responses from "Nick Alt," I have no doubt the guy is a con man

23. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Not even worth doing the ol' switch-a-roo with a Lionel Richie album, geesh :laugh:

24. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

I often wonder how people have the balls to do things like this - I guess it might have something to do with being a sociopath

25. phish

phish Jack Your Body

there are tons of ways to extract money from suckers that are completely legal. it's a shame, but that is the country we live in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.