Anyone else receive their 1st VNYL subscription LPs package?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FMills, May 13, 2015.

1. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

When did it become fashionable to toss this word around? I see it all the time now. I don't remember seeing it at all just a couple of years ago.

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Forum Resident

Curating comments on the web, it appears that this is a relatively modern phenomenon.

troggy likes this.
  3. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Yeah, this ought to be obvious but maybe it's not. I'm a vinyl lover. I've dug through thousands and thousands of albums and 45s at flea markets, thrift shops and antique malls, not to mention record stores and conventions. In my experience, the vast majority of vinyl is not worthwhile. Only a tiny percentage is desirable.

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Forum Resident

Those who are clueless about vinyl but have an interest in vinyl usually assume the releases from certain superstar acts are desirable, e.g. Beatles, Stones, Led Zep, etc. They do not believe that any release by anyone is desirable.

For example, the release by Leon and Mary Russel that someone got is probably considered desirable by exactly 0 people in the world. I'm sure there are a few Leon Russel fans who like it. But they also know it's common as dirt. The Johnny-come-latelys to the vinyl world couldn't be bothered.

5. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

Not to mention that everything is artisanal these days. Spin some vintage artisanal hand-curated wax, bro!

6. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

Once new collectors learn this, the better off they will be. When I was a little kid I fantasized about owning every album ever made. Now I wouldn't take 10 out of every 100 I see.

geo50000 likes this.
  7. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

VNYL strikes me as a bunch of kids playing house, only instead of "house" it's "record store."

Gumboo likes this.
  8. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

His store's in Venice, California. Rent will drive him out before anything else.

Brudy likes this.
  9. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

Oh, some do. I see them every weekend at my local record stores.

10. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

You may be right.

I still can't stop laughing at the thought of someone signing up for this and winding up with a Pablo Cruise album. That's almost the perfect swindle.

Michael Ries, Gumboo, Brudy and 4 others like this.
  11. noyoucmon

noyoucmon Forum Resident

Yeah, all I had to read was Pablo Cruise and I knew this whole thing was rooted in complete cluelessness. Pablo Cruise is practically synonymous with bargain bin.

12. Cerebus

Cerebus Forum Resident

I'm considering a "CmpctDsc" startup, where i'll hand-curate "cool" selections from my vast library (and the dollar bin at Half-Price Books), based on my assessment of your hashtags and personal style.

There is no reason us Gen-X'ers can't take advantage of the "sharing" economy as well.

Chip Z, StephenDedalus and hidden1one like this.
  13. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

You'll need to figure out the CD equivalent of a Pablo Cruise album.

14. Cerebus

Cerebus Forum Resident

REM's Monster.

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Forum Resident

I expect he'd be sending out a lot of copies of REM's Monster.

KDubATX likes this.
  16. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I thought about that one but at least REM is a well respected band.

Larry Loves LPs likes this.
  17. Cerebus

Cerebus Forum Resident

Chumbawumba's Tubthumper.

18. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

This actually could've been a fun concept if it were cheaper, and more honest.
    You could join the "Spin-Some-S#!t Record Club".
    For, say, $6 per month you would receive 3 thrift store specials at random.
    Over the course of a year you might receive 10 out of 36 records that you actually might like, (or at least enjoy making fun of) and it's a wash.

turnersmemo and Louise Boat like this.
  19. danner

danner Forum Resident

I think it's funny that now whenever I pull up Facebook there's a big VNYL ad on the side. #vibe indeed!

20. kwadguy

kwadguy Forum Resident

The problem is that it would cost over $4 to ship three records, including packaging.

The records they're shipping aren't even worth 3/$4.

geo50000 likes this.
  21. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

Kinda like this:
    [​IMG]

Kristeva and geo50000 like this.
  22. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

True, but if the seller bought in bulk (which VNYL probably did) , they probably only paid maybe .25 cents each.

23. Cerebus

Cerebus Forum Resident

It's the same model that Amazon sellers use when they sell a CD for $.01 plus $3.99 shipping.

24. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

It's the age-old birthday present dilemma. If somebody tries to buy something you actually want, 90% of the time they're either going to be spectacularly wrong or will choose something you already have. If anybody is determined to buy me music, the best results come from me telling them: "don't try to please me; try to surprise me."

The thing that's so hilarious about the VNYL scam is that every batch of 'hand-curated' records we've seen so far has included at least one (and up to three) absolutely notorious bargain-bin barrel-scrapers - the kind of thing anybody who's spent more than a couple of hours in a record store will have passed over with a shudder multiple times. If he knows anything at all about music, there's no way the guy behind this scam doesn't know exactly what he's doing: offloading unsaleable trash to rubes for a premium. I'm kind of fascinated to see whether they can come up with a 'perfect storm' triptych of 50c bin awfulness: what, in your opinion, would be the quintessential VNYL three-disc selection (don't worry about conforming to any genre, as they clearly don't). Similarly, maybe somebody actually did randomly receive three genuinely fantastic, unfairly overlooked albums.

In good news, I'm a proud Numero Group subscriber, and their model is hard to fault. They have a very diverse catalogue (soul, folk, lounge, prog, salsa, funk, punk, ambient, hardcore, rock, metal, soft rock, hip hop, indie rock - and that's just what I can recall from the last year), but it's extremely intelligently curated (they compile archival collections base on artists, labels, genres and regions) and every release is various shades of intriguing, so I'm happy to just go with the flow. But you can also calibrate what they send you by format (e.g. vinyl only) and you're informed in advance about every release and can decline any or all of them.

25. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Let me take this one step further. I have over the course of my lifetime put together a rather sizable record collection. I've spent decades digging, cadging, begging, and (to borrow a thought from my hero R. Crumb) stealing to get to that point. I think I know something about records. Yet over the last couple of years, at almost every house/garage sale/thrift store where I've inquired about records, I get to hear from the "I decorate at Pottery Barn" crowd (and I apologize in advance for that comment) about how vinyl is coming back, and sure I have a few, and yes, I really DO want $10 apiece for them. The first hundred times or so I tried to educate a little. I've now given up. I smile and get the hell out of there. They are the smartest guys in the room and it doesn't pay to try and change that. So yes, those people are out there. In droves. Maybe our Kickstarter manipulator is one of them.