Anyone else receive their 1st VNYL subscription LPs package?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FMills, May 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FMills

FMills Member Thread Starter

I remember the first time I saw - and cringed over - the term "curate" used with regard to music: some CD compilation was "curated" by so and so, when it was obviously "compiled." I figured it was a passing anomaly. Boy, was I wrong on that count.

troggy likes this.
  2. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

More satisfied customers?

[​IMG]

The Entertainer and turnersmemo like this.
  3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I thought those were the curators from the Stereogum article, holding their "cool" old records. The caption said "Team Vnyl forever".

phish likes this.
  4. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Okay then, probably FMills' next shipment.

5. DreadPikathulhu

That copy of Jeff Beck's Wired that you can barely see at the bottom of the screen would be better than any of those three.

6. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

So they send out whatever been sitting in the shop the longest? LA hipsters.

patient_ot and DreadPikathulhu like this.
  7. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Ahem, "the world in which we live in." ;)

8. FMills

FMills Member Thread Starter

I'll offer a related perspective based on my working here in the Schoolkids Records store (Raleigh, NC) for the past 3 years, during which I've had a front row seat to the nu-vinyl explosion. I've learned to spot the newbies when they walk in; just something about how they look around at the walls, etc., as if they are stepping onto an alien landscape. And to their credit, I find them almost always a delight to talk to and wait on. I've said many times that I see my teenage self shopping here daily, and I still remember when I first went off to college and experienced my first record store stocking used LPs and imports. But anyway... many times a newbie will come in (sometimes not even owning a record player yet) and pick up some hot/hip new release to purchase, say, Father John Misty, Ryan Adams or that recent Beefheart box (kidding on that last count, but I can dream, can't I?). Then he/she will finally make it over to the 99cent bin and find something totally random SIMPLY BECAUSE HE/SHE WANTS TO HAVE SOME VINYL TO PLAY OR SHOW OFF, and it doesn't really matter yet what that piece is. To me, that's also kind of charming, if naive, because the groundwork is being laid.

And I will always see if I can guide them to something a bit, er, quality-tilting in the bargain bin if that 99cent selection is so beyond the pale lame that the kid's friends would mock him, because I genuinely feel empathy for anyone just getting into records. I remember when I first started out, buying stuff at the local 5-and-dime, later graduating to mail order out of the back of Rolling Stone or Creem, maybe even coming across a copy of Goldmine. Ya gotta start somewhere, even if it is Pablo Cruise (eek).

But VNYL seems to have seized the opportunity to exploit that naivete I mentioned, and while it's a free country, it's still a ****ty thing to do.

9. DreadPikathulhu

My take is that they looked at those records and said "hey, it's the lady that was in Xanadu, that old gay guy, and that guy my grandma likes. These will be perfect for a #nightonthetown"

Rachel, Kristeva and noyoucmon like this.
  10. DreadPikathulhu

An online review from someone that received some #danceparty selections.

11. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I wondered how long it would be until this made it to youtube.

12. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Testimonial taken from a five star review of the physical store posted at Yelp.

"I don't know a thing about Vinyls"

fitzrik, patient_ot and noyoucmon like this.
  13. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

This is more depressing and bizarre than entertaining.
    Those pics of the zombie hipsters with useless records bugs me.

Positive reviews are easy to create, all in a days work for a company who needs them.

action pact, patient_ot and noyoucmon like this.
  14. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

lpfreak1170 likes this.
  15. DreadPikathulhu

It does have lots of kewl places set up to take Instagram pictures.

There is also a five star review on Google by "Nick Alt".

noyoucmon likes this.
  16. danner

danner Forum Resident

I hope this business tanks so badly that it kills the whole concept of hashtags.

17. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Kristeva and hidden1one like this.
  18. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Ha - don't forget to pledge to help push me over the line ;)

19. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I know I'm an old guy, as this information doesn't seem important to me at all.

20. DreadPikathulhu

It is interesting that none of the reviews talk about the store's stock. It's all about the vibe and how cool it is.

noyoucmon likes this.
  21. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

They don't know a thing about Vinyls.

noyoucmon likes this.
  22. DreadPikathulhu

Well, they know that the kids seem to like it and for many of them it is an accessory that they can display in their apodment. What they're really doing is supplying overpriced decorations to people who don't know about or don't want to bother with the bins at Goodwill. This just calls into question just how sustainable the whole vinyl revival really is.

It is a good idea, but only if they're supplying new products that are matched with genres that the customer likes instead of vague hashtags.

noyoucmon and Gumboo like this.
  23. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

It's kewl man, it's Venice Beach. I'm sure they got legal there.

24. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I actually think the Instagram picture think is a pretty good marketing gimmick. Millennials tend to like having pictures of them doing things that are "cool" then they post them online. I'm generalizing, but having cool pics showing how cool you are and how interesting the stuff you do is seems to be a very cornerstone millennial characteristic. Having a pose spot by some neat memorabilia etc where you are in frame thumbing through record crates with a nice big logo of the shop strategically placed in frame is more or less a free ad generator. Every post is increased visibility for your shop at no cost.

I had never really thought about it before, but a good shop with a good stock could probably utilize an idea like this to good effect.

That said, everything else I have read on this thread about this business is no bueno to put it mildly.

turnersmemo likes this.
  25. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

By the way, I went to my local record store on my luch hour today. There was indeed a copy of this in the dollar bin.

DreadPikathulhu and KDubATX like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.