Anyone else that rarely listens to Roxy Music's Avalon anymore?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rose River Bear, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Love the poster except it looks like Andy doesn't have a neck. Whatever came of the supposed reunion or comeback album? I thought that after their last tour things were fine in Roxy Music Land and we were going to see one last hurrah.

2. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Yes, Andy does look a bit 'hunkered down' doesn't he? Maybe it's the hair.
    There are some dates for concerts at this site:

http://www.vivaroxymusic.com/

I don't listen to live music myself but you might find them helpful.

Bryan to release new album in Sept. according to Roxyrama, but not the band.

3. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

I love Avalon!

4. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

I like Avalon a lot. My favourite Roxy album is Flesh & Blood but this is a very close second. I can see why a lot of people think its slick, but at the same time its such a beautiful mood piece. I always think of it as being a great chill-out record. Late night, summer warmth in the evening air, perhaps a glass of good wine and this on the stereo... awesome! :)

Steve

5. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Steve,

I came to RM late in the game. Although I like Love Is the Drug and see Mother of Pearl as a masterpiece now, it wasn't always the case. For a long time Roxy Music was a just a little too 'out there' for me. It was Flesh + Blood that made me sit up and take notice of their music-my brother was a fan too, so that didn't hurt.

(My cassette of F+B was a hit with my buddy in the seminary dorm. When he walked in and asked to listen to 'the cassette with the blonde spear chuckers on it', I knew exactly what he meant.)

I see Flesh + Blood as a halfway point between the old Roxy Music and the newer slicker RM that appeared in Avalon. As an effort it sure has some powerful songs on it ie: Running Wild, Oh Yeah.

6. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

No, I still pull this one out reasonably often. It's 'Manifesto' and 'Flesh + Blood' that sit on the shelf collecting dust - 'Avalon' still seems like a return to form after a temporary rocky patch.

And I usually play it back-to-back with King Crimson's 'Beat'; they just seem like a comfortable matched set.

7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I still love it. I think a different producer would have made some of the faster songs like Take a Chance and Space Between louder and raunchier. But you're right, as it stands now, the whole lp has a veneer of a slow lazy Sunday morning.

For some reason, I often play Brothers in Arms and Avalon back to back.

But there's a lot of hate on here for this album. As you'd expect, most people fall into either the early or later Roxy camps. I don't see a lot of folks who adore both periods equally.

8. Jon Busey-Hunt

Jon Busey-Hunt Forum Resident

I adore "Avalon." I love early Roxy Music just about equally, but I have to say I reach for "Avalon" the most.

9. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

By far the least played Roxy CD in my collection. I think I've played it maybe three times since I bought it, and the vinyl maybe three times before that. Just not a favorite.

10. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member Thread Starter

All sax players have short necks. It comes from playing the sax for a long period of time.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

11. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Well I suppose at a certain point he started taking his manufactured persona too seriously. (lol... thinking of the photos in the Taxi CD booklet). But I think he's more guilty of this in his solo output since Bete Noire.

12. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Brian's Image

"Well I suppose at a certain point he started taking his manufactured persona too seriously. (lol... thinking of the photos in the Taxi CD booklet). But I think he's more guilty of this in his solo output since Bete Noire."

+++++++++++++++++++++

Even on BF's early 70's solo albums he had the suave image on display. He had carefully cut hair, neckties and tuxedos in stark contrast to other rock acts at the same time.

See this link for one of his old solo albums, look at the cover shot!

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:0ifoxqy5ldhe

Scott

13. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

I would get behind that! :righton:

14. markaudio

markaudio Forum Resident

One of my favorite albums ever! Great lovemaking music.

15. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member Thread Starter

Once again exactly the point I am trying to make. You listen to it for a few minutes and then you forget about it while doing other things..nudge nudge

16. RipItUp&StrtAgan

RipItUp&StrtAgan New Member

I just listened to it for the first time last week after finding it at a thrift shop, second time last night after seeing this thread. It's the first Roxy Music album I've heard. It's OK, I really like the first track on side 2. Sounds interesting enough to explore them more.

17. Vocalpoint

Vocalpoint Forum Resident

I like this album so much that I actually bought an SACD of it this past week from right here on the SHForums....

Cheers!

VP

18. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

It's only 37 minutes long!:laugh:

Please tell me that you at least put it on auto-repeat. :winkgrin:

19. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

+1 Well said! :righton:

20. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

For some of us, Side 1 might be more than enough !

21. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

I still like it quite a bit. Perhaps my favorite 5.1 mix.

22. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I only bought the album two and a half years ago. I can see how some early fans view it as a sellout but I hear a relaxing album with a great track sequence.

23. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I play it more than every other Roxy CD. Still a desert Island disc for me and easily one of my top 20 cds period.
    Yea, I'm one of the 'late period' Roxy people, can't get into the early stuff, though I don't hate it the way many do.

24. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

Recently got the new SHM SACD, which is not light years away from the boxed set version, but very nice. The album never gets old. But I still don't understand why the single mix of More Than This is so much better than the album version.

25. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Great album, I don't play as much as the earlier RM records but i still love it. I don't consider it lounge music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.