Anyone else that rarely listens to Roxy Music's Avalon anymore?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rose River Bear, Mar 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotebookWriter

NotebookWriter Forum Resident

I can see why devoted Roxy Music fans dismiss this album as lightweight; however, they had been moving in this direction since the second side of Manifesto. I think Avalon works better as an album than Flesh and Blood. Then again, fans of the earlier stuff might not like that one either.

Perhaps one of the reasons I like Avalon is that it was my introduction to Roxy Music. I can remember hearing Take a Chance With Me and More Than This on the radio when the album was new and thinking how fresh they sounded. I then worked my way backwards through their catalogue. I would agree that their work from 1972-1975 is probably most important, but I'm not I'm not always in the mood for Virginia Plain or Do The Strand. Avalon still has its time and place for me.

2. Mike34260

Mike34260 Forum Resident

Avalon was my introduction to the band as well, and it opened the door for a new found appreciation of them. More Than This and Especially Take A Chance With Me are phenomenal tracks in my opinion. It's a great album to just sit back with a cold one and chill out to.

NotebookWriter likes this.
  3. TokenGesture

TokenGesture Forum Resident

Sorry, no: a perfect album, for me :p

4. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I keep going back to the title track throughout my life - it was probably the first time I heard (in 1982) what I know know is a samba groove, it is melodic, sexy, spacy and everything about it seems to be in the right place. I also went back through their catalogue and there are other fine moments where they create sonic worlds, but nothing sounds like that track to me. I also really like More Than This, The Space Between Us and Take A Chance With Me. The engineering and mixing of the album is fascinating to me, so why I may not listen to it all the way through, I like most of it. I do also recommend the live DVD called THE HIGH ROAD, which features quite a few of the album tracks played with a bit more punch.

5. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Brilliant album, the ambiences (stairwells at the record plant) a great test for any system
    Superb mix (try the Clearmountain surround sometime) its the sound of a a Neve 88
    This and Brothers in Arms were huge cd sellers aound the world

6. TokenGesture

TokenGesture Forum Resident

I wanted the band to play Avalon (the track) for my wedding dance but my wife chickened out - we both regret it :rolleyes:

7. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

If I was to put a Roxy Music album on, it would be Avalon. If I had to play a single then Love Is The Drug gets the tick.

8. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

I really like Manifesto and Flesh and Blood but Avalon has never done it for me. Too slick. Very much like Ferry's solo stuff post Avalon (and I don't like much of that either). About the only song I still listen to is To Turn You On but that was originally the b-side to Jealous Guy (albeit with a different mix) so it doesn't have the same sound as the rest of the album.

9. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I still like Avalon and play it. I think it holds up well for 1982 when so much of the electronic stuff from that era just sounds thin and tinny now. Some nice sounds on it, in my view.

dkmonroe likes this.
  10. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I've always liked the the earlier ones best. Must be Eno.

sound chaser likes this.
  11. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I love Roxy Music, but I don't often reach for Avalon now. In many ways, it's an immaculate production, maybe a little too perfect. It's all ambiance with no edge. As others have noted, this was the ultimate "make out" music back in the day, so I guess that I associate it with a very specific period in my life. It's great for what it is, but I don't often go back there these days.

Ludger likes this.
  12. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Have a copy from Japan that gets regular use. Prefer side 2, scares the hell outta people>

sean

13. jjjos

jjjos Forum Resident

The 5.1 mix is fantastic. This was the first Target I found in a music store and the first Roxy I ever heard. I love "To Turn You On", the way the chorus plays with rhythm is sublime and the production enhances the otherworldly feeling. It's definitely got a slightly dated sound to it but it's pleasant rather than grating.

14. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I love that whole period of Roxy Music - Manifesto, Flesh + Blood & Avalon. I think Flesh & Blood is my favorite of the three, but Avalon is so lush and the band sounds so good; Andy and Phil in particular. Avalon is one of those albums I break out when I want to test a stereo set-up also.

15. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

I just came across this 4 year old post of mine, for some reason. I need to correct #4. It was DT's Falling into Infinity. Not Awake. The song, specifically, was "Hell's Kitchen".

Still from Jersey, still in NYC.

The city may never sleep, but the trains to Jersey stop running around 1am.

16. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Masterpiece.

pathosdrama likes this.
  17. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I think it's great. I don't like most of their other stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.