Anyone ever buy "used" vinyl from Importcds via Amazon marketplace?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by marblesmike, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident Thread Starter

There are a couple albums I'm looking to get on Amazon. One has a used item listed in the marketplace from Importcds.

I was wondering if anyone knew if this was maybe damage stock since Importcds is a new/retail store? I'm hoping it's one of those "warehouse specials" deals like Amazon has where it's something like a torn sleeve that's bringing down the price.

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

They are customer returns.

Issues range from none to severe.

3. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

In regards to used stuff on Amazon from these big-box sellers, it's a gamble. I purchased the deluxe box set of AC/DC's Backtracks from the Amazon Warehouse Deals. It was listed as "Very Good", but it was like $40 cheaper than the other options (all of which were also "very good"). When it arrived, it was brand new and sealed, and excellently packed too (although the third CD is defective, damn! I wonder if I can contact the manufacturer and get a replacement even though I ordered the box back in August). Reading the ratings however I was one of the lucky ones.

As for ImportCDs, I've used them a few times (for new CDs, not used stuff) and most of my transactions went well except for one. I ordered a CD and they shipped it DHL, which is a cleverly disguised way of saying "I hope your great-grandchildren enjoy this if and when it finally arrives" (I'm fairly certain the name stands for "Delays? How Late?"). They gave me a tracking number but all it said was "We cannot track your package at this time". Nineteen days later I got an email from ImportCDs saying that DHL had damaged the shipping label and couldn't read my address, so it was returned to them and I was refunded. Rather than attempt to ship it again through, you know, an actual shipping company, they gave me my money back - and then relisted the CD for six dollars more. I was pretty furious about that and it really soured my impression of them. However I did buy another CD box set through them because it was ten bucks cheaper and it came via USPS in three days with no damage, so my overall opinion is mixed leaning slightly more towards positive. It would be thoroughly positive if they would sort out domestic from international orders and select their carriers accordingly.

As long as the record you're after isn't too expensive or rare, I would say give it a whirl, but make sure you can return it if it's defective (and make sure they ship it via a real goddamn carrier, not a warehouse where they play ping-pong with the crap you ordered). These big box marts are really not very good when it comes to used stuff; I wouldn't get your hopes up. But who knows, I've been surprised before.

Sorry for the rant. I hope it was at least entertaining. I'm just bewildered at the fact that a company so consistently terrible is able to remain in business.

4. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

ImportCDs is owned by AEC One Stop, BTW. Most independent record stores order everything through this company, they also do rack jobbing for most big box retailers, etc. and stock just about every hit title out there and bigger selling catalog items, but for most of the esoteric stuff, be lucky if you can even get it.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    GentleSenator likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.