Anyone familiar with Spectrum's "Skinny Bundle?" (Spectrum Stream)?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ty D. Tatman, May 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ty D. Tatman

Ty D. Tatman Forum Resident Thread Starter

In my search for a reliable streaming service, as discussed here, DirectTV Now and Sling are very popular, but I've heard tell via Facebook that Spectrum INTERNET ONLY subscribers are often solicited via mail for a chance to stream the Spectrum app with your local affiliates plus your choice of 10 ala carte channels, sans sports and premiums for $20. I see no sign of this on their website but again was told this a quiet hush hush deal they only offer internet subsrcibers and if I have their cable they won't even mention it on the retention line. Anyone?

2. PhilJol

PhilJol Forum Resident

sounds too good to be true, but I hope you are right.

3. Ty D. Tatman

I chatted with them and if you'd like, I can give you whole transcript. They denied they had it until I said I was ghost. Then they offered a $29 streaming only package with locals + A&E, AMC, Animal Planet, Bravo, Comedy Central, CNN, Discovery, E!, Food Network, FreeForm, FX, FX Movie Channel, FXX, Hallmark, Hallmark Movies & Mysteries, HGTV, History, Lifetime Movie, Oxygen, Spectrum News, Paramount Network, TBS, TLC, TNT, USA. However, in the meantime, my FB friends provided the mailer and it was an entirely different list for only $21.99. My next step is to cancel cable and keep internet, wait a month or so, and then call the number from flyer. Either way, I'm done with their traditional cable. I will keep you posted.

Vidiot likes this.
  4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

If they're lying to you, why are you even considering given them money? I don't patronize companies who outright lie to me.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  5. Ty D. Tatman

GOod point, but they have a monopoly on internet here AND they'd be the only streaming option with all of the local affiliates.

rburly likes this.
  6. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Because it's hard to be connected without dealing with a company that doesn't lie. People generally don't have a lot of choices and, depending where you live, might be less than two.

A.T.T. has refined fraud to a business model. There is a serious implication here. Everyone knows they lie and rip off their customers, yet neither Congress or the SEC or the FCC do anything to a company that should be charged with racketeering and exponential violations of the RICO Act. Everyday.

AT&T and DirecTV face thousands of complaints linked to overcharging, promotions

BeatleJWOL and Vidiot like this.
  7. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Interesting, but Wrecktum has already f'd me enough, so once I finish my proof of concept of internet only + Roku + DirecTV now with the family, I'm calling Wrecktum and tell them to unbundle me and go to internet only.

I am dreaming of when I can collect up all their devices and dump them at their local office.

8. Ty D. Tatman

This. We have a local mom and pop. Horizon if anyone likes looking into that stuff. I'd love to support them. Local workers. Unionized. But, trouble is, they are down to about 3,000 subscribers. I have to pay them more to get less channels than I do with Spectrum and their fastest internet speeed is slower than Spectrums cheapest. I just can't, as a husband and father, send them $200 a month for that quality.

9. Ty D. Tatman

I know it varies from market to market, but can you tell me how DirectTVNOW is with your locals?? That's my big reason for wanting Spectrum's skinny bundle. I need local football and news in the fall and winter.

10. Erik Tracy

The only local station I don't get is CBS, but that's because CBS is playing hardball for streaming; gotta buy CBS all access (~$5/month?).

Plus, I don't get live PBS; that's another $5/month to be a Passport member.

Still, if I did pay CBS and PBS, the total monthly cost is WAY lower than my packaged deal with Wrecktum; now almost $200/month.

I've rigged up a cheapy antenna to see what I can pull in OTA and can get ALL the local stations, but I'd need to set up a distribution wiring config to get OTA to all the rooms with TV. But, that can come later.

11. Ty D. Tatman

Thanks! I think DirectTVNow looks like the best one out there. If I have to bone up $5 per month for the duration of the NFL season, I'm ok with that.
    PBS? Hmm, I'm an English and History teacher so I have a soft spot for them and was considering a "membership" anyway.
    I'm cancelling Spectrum this month and using my summer break to use the free trials from DTN, Sling, Philo, YouTube, etc and see which one my wife likes the most. I mean, who are we kidding, the tv is going to be the wife's decision!!! I posted the same stuff on FB. I don't personally know any DTNow users but You Tube TV and Philo were getting mad props and a lot of people were subscribing to both and still spending about $100 less than they were for cable. If I loved closer to the city, this wouldn't even be a debate. That's the kicker. Just about 10 miles too far out for anything "free."

12. Erik Tracy

Supposedly, DirecTV Now also has the best delivery for sports events; no jutter.

13. Ty D. Tatman

If they work something out with Sunday Ticket, they'll own the streaming market.

14. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

So my Spectrum questions:
    - No DVR function, so exactly how much "on demand" stuff is there really? I'm tending to watch old episodes of Perry Mason, X-Files, Death In Paradise, Sammy Hagar's Rock & Roll Road Trip, The Big Interview with Dan Rather...I could maybe live without that stuff or find it some other way. I plan to move stuff around and getting rid of the cable box would be nice.
    - Can I sign up for something that doesn't expire in 12 months?!?!?!
    - How does this work? Is there an app for my SmartTV (Vizio M60-C3)? I need a Roku box again?

As for DIRECTV, they jumped me up to about $100/month with DVR, too much. My wife could care less about the DVR, she just wants ease of use and the Cooking,* Travel, maybe History channels. And the Spanish channels, though those are local.
    *not Food Network, she doesn't watch that oddly enough

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Now, that's funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.