Anyone familiar with the Gold & Platinum '80s CD series on Realm Records?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Feb 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

I found an interesting used CD today. It's called Gold & Platinum Volume Two and is on Realm Records. It's an '80s compilation. Here is the tracklist:

1) I'm So Excited -- The Pointer Sisters
    2) She Bop -- Cyndi Lauper
    3) Heart And Soul -- Huey Lewis and The News
    4) Cover Me -- Bruce Springsteen
    5) Running With The Night -- Lionel Ritchie
    6) Everybody Wants To Rule The World -- Tears For Fears
    7) Run To You -- Bryan Adams
    8) Careless Whisper -- Wham!
    9) Everytime You Go Away -- Paul Young
    10) Smooth Operator -- Sade
    11) Missing You -- John Waite
    12) Voices Carry -- 'Til Tuesday
    13) Out Of Touch -- Hall & Oates
    14) Can't Fight This Feeling -- REO Speedwagon

The back insert says "(P) 1986 CBS Inc. Manufactured by Columbia House/CBS Inc./51 West 52 Street/New York, New York." The spine says "DIGITAL STEREO" and gives a catalog number of 1CD 7726.

The back cover of the booklet says "(P)1986 CBS Inc. Made in U.S.A. For Columbia House." The CD itself has a code number of "DIDY 000574". "DIDY" indicates it was sold through Columbia House.

The back cover of the booklet also says the following:

The inside of the booklet says:

Do any of you have CDs from this series? How long were they in print? Were they sold through brick-and-mortar stores or just through Columbia House? Thanks in advance.

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I have a couple volumes of that series that I picked up way back when. I believe they were only available through the record club, although I got mine used. Good selection of hits from the 80s. One volume included the only CD appearance (at that time) of Springsteen's "Janey, Don't You Lose Heart." My recollection is that they only did 5 volumes. Worth picking up if you find used copies in good condition.

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Columbia House still carries some of these compilations.

4. KeithH

Thanks for the info. guys. Much appreciated.

5. KeithH

I just pulled up the Gold & Platinum CDs available currently from Columbia House's web site. The artwork is different than on the copy I have, though the tracklists are identical. The CDs that Columbia House has state "Hits of the '80s" in the titles. My copy does not have this in the title. I guess my copy was released in the '80s, so there was no reason to put "Hits of the '80s" in the title. The discs that Columbia House has are obviously reissues.

Here is a picture of the album cover for the Volume Two CD that Columbia House has:

[​IMG]

My copy has pictures of the artists on the front cover, and the artwork has an '80s look to it.

6. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I have four of them still sealed (vinyl). I thought I was the only one.

7. KeithH

Jamie, you ought to open those LPs. I am very much liking this CD. It's a great compilation.

8. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I have Vol 2 from the Columbia House Music Club, and I don't like it. Some of the songs fade early and I don't remember them as the 45 versions. You do get the 45 remix of Cyndi Lauper's "She Bop" though.

9. FabFourFan

FabFourFan Senior Member

I have Vols 1-6 on CD. They came out from about '86 to '89.

I bought the first one because it has a McCartney track.

I don't remember them sounding especially good.

FFF so why the heck did I buy the last 5 ?? :confused:

10. KeithH

Admittedly, the sound quality of the disc I bought yesterday is just O.K. Also, several of the songs are presented in edited form. "Careless Whisper" by Wham! starts off with the sax part, as an example. Despite some obvious drawbacks, the disc is still a fun compilation and a good listen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.