Anyone find vinyl wasn’t for them?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Phil Thien, Apr 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident Thread Starter

I’ve been contemplating adding a turntable to my system.

But reading the threads about ultrasonic cleaners has be wondering if I’d be happy like I was forty years ago with just a simple Discwasher D2.

I guess I also wonder if I’m so accustomed to digital (no noise, a single rip to a server, etc.) that I will just have an ignored turntable.

Has that happened to anyone else, or if you’ve added vinyl capabilities have you been happy and not looked back?

DiabloG, The FRiNgE and tmtomh like this.
  2. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Unless you're after music or content that's not available digitally, or have a pre-existing vinyl collection that needs playing, why would you want to try vinyl again?

DiabloG, david1111, BruceS and 26 others like this.
  3. Phil Thien

That is a good question.

jusbe and audiomixer like this.
  4. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Also my suggestion is think about the reasons why you're considering this. There's an investment in time and money, and are you planning on just playing back old LP's you have or are you going to spend money on new releases / reissues as well? And to your point, there is surface noise and whether that will bother you or not.

I re-introduced myself to vinyl again after twenty years absent, btw. It was a mix of LP's that never saw a digital version (at the time) plus a search for sound improvement with overly loud modern CD releases.

5. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

It must happen sometimes. Folks get excited because other folks are excited about a thing, so they try it out and can't seem to understand what the big deal is. On the plus side, you can get an okay turntable for not much money, so if it does fall flat for you, you can sell it and move on.

6. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Forum Resident

I realize that this is a "snarky" response, but I mean it with some sincerity:

"If you have to ask, you'll never know."

Spinning a record is so dissimilar to hearing a file (in whatever format), but that difference is (arguably) subjective.

I like music on vinyl more than other formats. I am 44 and have been hearing and playing vinyl records since I was still wet behind the years. For me, no other format approaches the experience. It just feels better (to me) to hear it on wax.

7. Helom

Helom Forum member

Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have gotten into vinyl. It's my favorite medium in the sense of dynamic realism, but it can be a real PITA.
    I grew up in the digital age and began buying LPs only a few years ago. Most of what I own are newer pressings. Problem is, I find many new pressings are absolute garbage. As a result, I've begun limiting my purchases to expensive audiophile pressings (RTI, Mo-Fi, some Analog Productions etc.), with the exception of some pressed by Pallas. Otherwise, most newer reissues come with unacceptable defects: off-center holes, no-fill, large scratches, dimples, warps...).

As for cleaning, I find a modified Spinclean regimen, including some hand brushing, is as effective as any other method. I'll probably be selling my vacuum machine in the near future. The Spinclean is just too convenient, effective, and efficient to bother with anything else.

If you you're only seeking a warmer, more natural presentation to your music, look into a NOS, filterless DAC.

8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

quite the opposite for me. four years in to a full on vinyl reunion i find my musical tastes veering into late 50s and 60s jazz that passed me by as a youth. blue note and other label vinyl reissues and box sets are a Godsend to me. digital does not do justice for these works of art IMHO. I'm having the time of my life......

9. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Forum Resident

I never understand all the complaints about pressing quality. I buy dozens of records a year and rarely encounter a real problem. It seems like neophytes just expect a digital experience from an analog format.

Stencil, Hawklord, willboy and 13 others like this.
  10. timind

timind phorum rezident

Tempted to throw in the popcorn emoji as we all know where this can lead, but I'll give a serious answer instead.

I sold most of my albums 15+ years ago and got rid of my Technics SL1500 turntable. Because of this website though, (made me feel I was missing something) I got back into records. In fact I've kind of done it several times.
    The first time was a few years ago when I bought a turntable, record cleaner and a bunch of accessories. Then I listened to records a couple times a week for a couple months. They sounded fine to me and the noise associated with vinyl wasn't didn't bother me. I think because I grew up listening to records, I'm able to hear past the noises and just hear the music. After a while I tired of the records. I wasn't going to invest a lot of money in content, so I sold the turntable.
    What I discovered with the first return was, I enjoy tinkering with turntables. I now have a couple of rescued turntables bought as parts/repair units which are now functioning up to spec. I rarely put a record on them.
    If I want to listen to music, I don't want to fuss with getting a record out and going through the required motions. I love my digital setup. It sounds wonderful to me and is just so hassle free. Sit down, push a few buttons and sonic bliss.

11. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

OP is at least thinking along those lines. Even quiet pressings, of which I have many, will have a low level of surface noise so it's up to the individual to decide if they have a tolerance for that or not.

12. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I recently purchased the Kate Bush "Remastered Part 1" 7 CD set. Her first seven albums. I also have them on original mint vinyl, and to my ears, on my system, in my listening room, I strongly prefer the sound of the LPs. YMMV. If you are claiming that across the board CDs sound better than LPs, I think that's ridiculous. If you are coming from the convenience/effort point of view I agree. :)

xfilian and jusbe like this.
  13. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

I think the mastering/version is probably more important than the digital/ analogue thing.Yes i have records that sound better than their digital counterparts ...but i also have digital that sounds better than the analogue versions.

BZync, Jujigatame, giumag and 14 others like this.
  14. Phil Thien

I was listening to Citizen (Steely Dan) today and when I got up to the Aja part (Black Cow, technically) I decided it was too bright, and went back to my MCA CD (old) of Aja, which sounds the most like my old vinyl did.

I also listened for a while to Crime of the Century and thought it wasn't as good as my old vinyl was.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of digital I like a lot, and maybe I'm just feeling nostalgic, but I did like the way my old vinyl sounded.

15. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I do both.

Mostly I listen to streaming digital as I have no issues with the sound quality vs. CD's.

Vinyl is excellent, as @Helom says, but it is excellent when you have excellent vinyl.

It is only excellent with excellent with excellent vinyl when you have a lot of money invested in your TT, preamp and cartridge.

16. Phil Thien

My impressions were formed forty years ago with a Pioneer PL-200 with a Nagaoka cart. and an older Kenwood model receiver.

I wonder if I'd still be happy with that.

david1111 likes this.
  17. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Did you ever live through the 60’s & especially the 70’s? Quality sucked!

BZync, Martyn, McLover and 1 other person like this.
  18. Glmoneydawg

Crime of the century ...i have the half speed mastered version....cant be touched by any digital version I've heard.Dire Straights album with sultans of swing is also best listened to on analogue ...i could go on :)

Jack/UK likes this.
  19. Glmoneydawg

I do both also....and yep streaming has changed has changed this old boys life.

displayname and SandAndGlass like this.
  20. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Before I read your post, I thought you were going to share your personal experience as to why vinyl wasn't for you.
    Without that, this is a great potential for yet another vinyl vs digital thread.

Regards

david1111, Kyhl and macster like this.
  21. stanley00

stanley00 Forum Resident

I tried vinyl. For less than a $1000 spent, it was pretty underwhelming. Unless you have money to burn, I wouldn’t bother.

22. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting!

Been there..done that!...do i miss the ritual of cleaning a record, checking the setup of the turntable etc....No!...and then there’s the current price point of new vinyl releases...$$

23. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I grew up on vinyl too.

But my stereo today is nothing like what you and I had, back in the day.

No, I don't believe that you would be happy with vinyl today as compared to how excellent digital sounds in comparison to average vinyl.

I say this as someone who used to have a positive hatred for digital.

24. alanb

alanb Senior Member

yeah i don't know why anyone drives old cars or motorbikes or watch B&W films.....

all those old ****ty analogue tape recordings too.....

25. Glmoneydawg

Similar experience here...had an Oracle delphi/fidelity research /Benz setup for decades and loved it....sold it off....i did return to vinyl,but only for the benefit of a select few records that i couldn't duplicate digitally.

david1111 and SandAndGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.