Anyone gonna go see Cold Mountain?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by teaser5, Dec 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy Thread Starter

I am pretty excited about this movie. Cold Mountain was flat out one of the best books I have read in the past twenty years and the second best book I have ever read about The Civil War. This does not of course necessarily mean that the film will be good but the cast certainly looks impressive enough. The movie opens Christmas Day and I'm going. (a movie and Chinese Food are something of a Jewish Christmas Day tradition..;) )

Anyone else?

Cheers-
    Norm

2. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

You're right the book was great! The reviews I've seen so far have been pretty good so here's hoping. :)

3. ZAck Scott

ZAck Scott Senior Member

My Girlfriend is romanian and since the entire was shot in Romania, WE're seeing it. DOwsn't hurt that it has Nicole kidman in it though.

4. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Great book. We'll go see the movie. Even though I'm a little sceptical about Nicole and Renee in these roles, at least they passed up Brad Pitt for the role of Inman.

Norm, what's your first favorite book on the Civil War? Killer Angels?

5. teaser5

You got it Kenny-That's an amazing book
    Best-
    Norm

6. Ere

Ere Senior Member

I have a feeling the soundtrack for Cold Mountain is going to be good since music was so important to the story. I haven't found any details yet but it looks like T-Bone Burnett is producing it.

7. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Cold Mountain is certainly on my "to see" list. Usually spend Dec. and Jan. catching up with all the "important" Oscar contenders that the studios cram into theaters at the end of the year.

8. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I'm hoping that in seeing Cold Mountain I'll be needing a cold shower. :D

9. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Norm,
    Did you go?[​IMG] :confused: :thumbsup:

10. JohnG

I saw Cold Mountain today at the Ziegfeld Theater in NYC and its one good looking movie. This movie will easily be in the Oscar hunt come late February.

Beautifully shot and quite the story (never read the book). There is some wild stuff in this movie including a very funny orgy scene that one wouldn't expect in a War Drama.

Renee' steals the movie as Ruby, she has a good shot at an Oscar nom.

Nicole looks radiant! She truly is one gorgeous woman (what was Tom thinking!?!)

Natalie Portman also makes an appearance and is excellent in her short scene with Jude Law. I was surprised to see her in the movie.

My wife and friends loved the movie. Definitely worth seeing on a big screen.

Great music too btw!
    Scored by T Bone Burnett.

:thumbsup:

11. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Didn't he do the soundtrack to Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? And on SACD too? :)

I hope he repeats that! Love that SACD! :edthumbs:

12. teaser5

Nah, Not yet...Wife and child are going to New Mexico in two weeks and then it's movie time.
    Til then...
    Cheers-
    Norm

13. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

I'm with John G here. Go see this on the big screen, it has some beautiful scenery and three very interesting characters.

14. Cold Mountain is getting some decent reviews, just check Rotten Tomatoes, however, one of the two Time magazine film critics, Richard Schickel, gave it his worst of the year. Time Best + Worst 2003

C O L D M O U N T A I N
    "The soldier, Inman, is trying to fight his way home through the fog of (civil) war. Ada, his chaste and faithful lover, awaits him, while fending off rapacious intruders at her home place in Cold Mountain. Writer-director Anthony Mingella once again demonstrates his inability to create a satisfying dramatic arc (or characters that can hold the screen). The result is a plodding, epic-scale exercise in masochism — deep-dish movie making at its toneless worst."

The other Time film critic Richard Corliss has Cold Mountain at no. 5 in his 10 best of 2003.

"Jude Law and Nicole Kidman make a glamorous Tarheel and spinster in this pulsating, rapturous picturizing of the Charles Frazier novel. Director Anthony Minghella splendidly details a notorious Civil War battle, but his feelings about military conflict are clear from the prayer of a young woman (Natalie Portman) who has lost her soldier-husband: "If I had my way, they'd take metal altogether out of the world. Every blade. Every gun." Cold Mountain is the story of hearts stronger than cold steel, and a love that wants to conquer war."

What is up with that? :confused:

Is this film great, or is it as bad as Schickel says? I'm not sure I want to gamble with 13 or 14 dollars on a film about civil war (not one of my fave movie genres). Although not quite the same genre, I fell asleep at the theatre during Marty Scorsese's Gangs Of New York. Some period piece movies don't do it for me.

The lineup of actors in the film looks good. I do love Nicole Kidman. For me her performance in The Others should have gotten her an Oscar. I'm a fan of U.K. actors Ray Wintsone and Bredan Gleeson. Winstone handled himself nicely as the ex safe cracker in Sexy Beast and Gleeson was cast perfectly as the father, in the recent 28 Days Later.

15. Ere

Ere Senior Member

That's funny, the two critics who reviewed it for the Washington Post also split on it. Maybe it's one of those people really love or hate?

And, yes, Gary, I believe Burnett also executive produced the 'O'Brother' soundtrack...

I haven't seen the movie yet but we're planning on going this week for a matinee. Norm, if I really like it I'll go with you in two weeks for a reprise. My wife is also going out of town...

16. JohnG

no way is it one of the worst movies of 2003/4 but if you don't like period movies maybe it wouldn't be your cup of tea.

but check out the opening footage of the Battle of St. Petersburg, very well done.

plus the acting of Phillip Seymour Hoffman/ Natalie Portman/ Jack White/ Giovanni Ribisi/ Renee Zellwegger/ Jude Law/ Brendan Gleeson and of course Nicole Kidman is great.

17. mhvbear

mhvbear Senior Member

Saw 'Cold Mountain' this afternoon at the Ziegfeld in NYC. Excellent movie, beautifully shot, excellent score. I think this will be the movie to beat for best picture.
    I had been cheering for 'The Return of the King' but I can't see it beating 'Cold Mountain'.

18. JohnG

it is something to see on a big screen alright. a real movie movie.

(not that LOTR's isn't either)

19. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

My wife and I thought it was excellent. :)

20. Jymn

Jymn Formerly skysaxon

I liked it. It was slow in parts. The two leads did not inspire me in the least. Nicole Kidman is beautiful but blank. I could not empathize with her or Jude Law, despite their character's predicaments.

The supporting cast was stellar - esp. the actor playing Ruby's father.

21. ratskrad

ratskrad Senior Member

Just got home from seeing it. I really did like it. I really enjoy it when major stars can play small supporting parts. I was expecting more emotion from the movie then what came across. Now I just have to find Lost in Translation showing in Utah.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.