Anyone have experience w/these racks?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by McIntosh, Mar 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McIntosh

McIntosh Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

3. McIntosh

McIntosh Forum Resident Thread Starter

flexy doesn't pass the WAF........

4. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

Nice racks Mac - Gee, never thought I'd say that to a guy! I'll bet they're steep though. For some reason, all rack manufacturers feel they need to charge you as much as possible. These are nicer looking then most. Have you looked at the Salamader Designs Synergy racks (www.salamanderdesigns.com)? The nice thing about them is that you can add on or reconfigure them as needed and you can start with a basic rack and add doors, side panels and drawers when you can afford them. The also have perforated side panels and doors you can add so that even closed up your equipment can breath (they claim your remotes will work through them too). Give them a look.
    P.S. Cool Dog

5. Andy

Andy New Member

6. trhunnicutt

trhunnicutt Member

I'd try Grand Prix Audio. High WAF for someone who likes the modern, or art deco look.

Best racks I've ever used. I have the Monaco version. $1K per shelf, $1500 for the base platform. Costly, but substantial improvement in soundstage and clarity. Almost as good as upgrading a component to the next level

www.grandprixaudio.com

Tom H

7. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I'll put in a plug for PolyCrystal stands.

[​IMG]

They will certainly get a good score in the WAF test, but there is a lot to recommend them for how they help the sound. I bought a two-shelf rack with the UHD shelves. At the time I had what is now my second system: Arcam Alpha 10 integrated, Arcam Alpha 9 CDP and Paradigm MiniMonitor v.2 speakers, TAG Audio power cords, DIY braided Cat 5 cables, WireWorld interconnects.

I had a home made rack using cement blocks, chipboard shelves, Blu-Tack substitute, and changing to the PolyCrystal rack brought very positive benefits. I impressions were that this rack brough the different musical strands together to form a more cohesive presentation. Bass was slightly better (but the Paradigms don't make much low bass) and the top end smoother, but what stood out was how much more together the bands I listened to seemed.

I now have a BAT VK-50SE preamp on the lower shelf and a Sony C333ES SACD player on the top shelf.

I don't think PolyCrystal stands are expensive, certainly not compared wth the RixRack. They are easy to put together and there is quite a bit of technology in the actual shelves - a composite of non-resonant crystal "stuff". PolyCrystal is really just one guy, and he is often behind on orders, but IMHO, worth it.

For more information, check out an excellent review on SoundStage and/or visit PolyCrystal.

Standard disclaimer

Regards,
    Metralla

8. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

9. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

I love my Billy Bags CD racks - solid very well made.
    My stereo/tv is on a black Salamander Rack - I had to send it back twice - they dont pack it well when they ship so they damage easy in transit. The black paint on the piece comes off easily and shows the wood underneath. I use a black magic marker to cover. It looks good and for the price I can't complain, but am sorry I did not get the Billy Bags audio rack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.