Anyone have experience with Hifi360 HF-PLA Desktop Music Player?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tdgrnwld, Jun 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tdgrnwld

tdgrnwld Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm looking for a way to play FLAC, WAV, and MP3 files (importance in that order) stored on a USB hard drive through an old-fashioned analog stereo system. The Hifi360 HF-PLA

http://www.amazon.com/Hifi360-HF-PL...F8&qid=1402933514&sr=1-1&keywords=hifi+hf-pla

looks pretty good (it plays files stored on SD cards). But I've never heard of the brand. Hifi360 doesn't seem to have a webpage and few people have commented about the unit online. Anyone have any experience with it? If not, what are the best alternatives? Thanks!

2. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Native Chinese gear (as opposed to non-Chinese companies building their gear in China) is on the rise.

This particular unit uses a Cirrus Logic CS4398 chip for its DAC and even has balanced outputs. For $200 U.S., it's a pretty good deal.

The only negative thing I see is that it only plays SD cards, which makes this unit a bit of a "niche in a niche".

3. tdgrnwld

Thanks, gloomrider. Can you suggest any alternatives beside the few portable MP3 players that read FLAC?

BTW, I don't understand why playing SD is a niche within a niche - what's the alternative? I'd like to find a solution that can attach directly to my USB drive, but I haven't seen one.

4. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Just one example: The Teac NP-H750 (Amazon has it for around $400). It has a lot more ways to play digital files including USB and DLNA.

Yes, this is double the price of the Hifi360 HF-PLA.

5. tdgrnwld

Thanks for your help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.