Anyone have recommendations for any decent horror films on Netflix or Amazon Prime?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RickH, Mar 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts Thread Starter

Seems like so much on these two streaming services are either B-level, found footage type crap or subtitled (I prefer to not have to read my movies whenever possible). Just wondering if there are any thriller/suspense/horror gems I need to check out? Currently, I have playing “The Changeling”, the 1980 George C. Scott classic ghost story. Thanks in advance for any recommendations of quality thrillers to be found in these streaming options.

2. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Not a movie, but the Netflix series The Haunting of Hill House was good for a few thrills and chills. I thought it was very well done.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    MikeInFla and RickH like this.
  3. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Guillaume P and RickH like this.
  4. Emergency Whiskey

Emergency Whiskey Forum Resident

If you like the 70's Hammer/Amicus style, Horror Express, The House That Dripped Blood, and Asylum are all good watches on Amazon right now.

They also have a number of 70's Italian horrors in and out of rotation, but quality can vary quite a bit on those.

Shawn, RickH and eric777 like this.
  5. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

They are some really good ones Amazon Prime but you have to dig. Off the top of my head I can think of “Monster”, and “The Witch”. “Hereditary” is also on there. Plenty of the older Italian horror films such as “Suspiria” and “Torso” are also available.

There are also horror films that show up free for a limited amount of time so you have to just keep checking back.

RickH and Tim S like this.
  6. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

The horror selection on UK Netflix is shockingly poor.

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  7. David Egan

David Egan Forum Resident

Housewife is an odd title for a horror movie, I'm not even sure why they called it that but it is a clever riff on Lovecraft. Sex & violence.

The selection of vintage films on Netflix will only get worse. Many of the more obscure items on Amazon have poor PQ like they are ripped from an off brand DVD. It's like they want you to buy the Blu-ray. But Living Dead In The Manchester Morgue looks good if you are into a color zombie gore fest that predates Dawn Of The Dead.

8. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

Hereditary

Amazon Prime

Macman likes this.
  9. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Amazon had about anything you might want, if you are willing to pay a rental charge. So, I've limited my list here to films available free on amazon prime. If I haven't actually seen a film, I will simply say it has a good reputation.

Angel Heart
    Burn Witch Burn
    Dark Water - very good rep
    Dog Soldiers
    Ginger Snaps - outstanding
    Halloween at Aunt Ethel's - good rep
    Hereditary - outstanding
    Jacob's ladder
    Les Diaboliques - outstanding
    Nosferatu
    Nosferatu the vampire
    Shutter Island - good rep
    The company of wolves - outstanding
    The fall of the house of usher
    The girl with all the gifts - good rep
    The loved ones
    The raven
    The return of the living dead - outstanding (comedy and horror mixed perfectly)
    The ruins
    Witchhammer - good rep

Most of these have a trailer available.

I highly recommend The company of wolves - a film that I don't think has been offered streaming in a long, long time. If you are in the mood for a dark, gothic, fairy tale with werewolves that has a bit of an arthouse touch, it's very good.

10. Raf

Raf Senior Member

11. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts Thread Starter

Raf likes this.
  12. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

ANNIHILATION - Amazon Prime

vegafleet and Old Mac like this.
  13. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Gerald's Game on Netflix was pretty good, I thought. Not awesome, but good. There is one particular scene definitely not for the squeamish.

Mr. H likes this.
  14. Ty D. Tatman

Ty D. Tatman Forum Resident

I recently ran across All The Boys Love Mandy Lane and was taken aback by how much I enjoyed it. I hope this thread stays open a while. I find the selection on Amazon and Netflix to be kinda weak in the horror genre and I often go back to my tried and true classics.

RickH likes this.
  15. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

The Witch, just masterful filmmaking. Worth watching even if you are not looking for a horror movie.

I am always looking for something different, that I have not seen before. This was it.

There is a scene where a father and his teenage daughter get into a screaming fight, I thought that was the best acting I have seen in a long time.

16. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

There really isn't another film quite like this one. All the acting is excellent - I thought Harvey Scrimshaw as the older son was fantastic.

17. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

18. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

From that list, apart from the obvious classics like Silence of the Lambs, I would really recommend Green Room and Train to Busan. Green Room is non-supernatural, more of a horror/thriller but an excellent film and Train To Busan, although it's subtitled, is one of the best Zombie flicks I have seen in a long time.

Both I think transcend the horror genre as they are so good.

If you like Green Room check out the directors previous film, Blue Ruin, just as good, although his latest (Hold The Dark) is not as good.

19. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I second this recommendation.

RickH likes this.
  20. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Another vote for Hereditary on Netflix. It was my favourite film of 2018.

21. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Don't do it. The last two episodes (especially the final) totally ruin what is quite a good run until then. The wife and I were so dumbfounded and disappointed with the ending.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  22. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

From viewing the trailer this one looks like another slasher flick with the obligatory twist ending.

Is the twist that she is luring victims in for murder and she is part of the whole thing all along?

23. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I disagree that they totally ruin it. The last two episodes do a good job of tying together the various story threads. As with most Netflix productions the ending can feel unsatisfactory or anti-climactic. I would say the ending drops my rating of the series from an 8.5 overall to 7.5. Still, very worth the investment, especially the brilliant episode 5.

24. Ty D. Tatman

Ty D. Tatman Forum Resident

Maybe it's because I teach high school, but I saw a scathing under layer of social commentary in this film. That, and it's from that era between 2000 and 2010 where there were lots of good nods to (and bad remakes of) gritty 70s movies and decent originals...

Veech likes this.
  25. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I agree with all the Hereditary recommendations. If you’re into that particular kind of horror, I would recommend The Witch, It Comes At Night, and The Killing of the Sacred Deer, all of which are on either Netflix or Prime IIRC.

Edit: Green Room is also a very good recommendation.

Tim S, mr. steak and RickH like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.