Anyone have their power and speaker cables on the floor?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jeff kleinberg, Jun 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeff kleinberg

jeff kleinberg Senior Member Thread Starter

I am a big convert to power cables(RSA) and conditioners(RSA) , as well as vibration control(SRA Scuttle rack), but I cant seem to spring for cable lifters. Anyone else living on the edge?

Robert C likes this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

On the floor and loving it.

dalem5467, krisbee, crispi and 27 others like this.
  3. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

All of them. Always have and always will.

BuddhaBob and pscreed like this.
  4. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Me too.

jerol

5. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I had all my Naim gear plugged into a power conditioner with Transparent power cords. One day I replaced them with the stock Naim $30 power cables and plugged those into a standard Naim recommended power strip. The whole thing sounded better. Richer, more refined and detailed, and more open.

So that's where I am now. No fancy power cords, no power conditioner, no cable lifters.

6. buckeye1010

buckeye1010 Zephead Buckeye

Down on the ground...

7. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

In da' floor!

djost likes this.
  8. They hang and snake where they will, unless I get hum, then I start moving them about.

krisbee, seed_drill, ggjjr and 5 others like this.
  9. CaptBeyond

CaptBeyond Well-Known Member

You can always go the el cheapo route: cut the inside cylinder of toilet paper cardboard in half, then cut a v-notch on both top sides of each half and you got yourself two effective, albeit slightly unsightly, lifters.

mikeyt likes this.
  10. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Mine stay on the floor also.

11. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

That's what I've always done with my Naim gear, and will never do any differently. I can't imagine a reason why anyone would.

Josquin des Prez likes this.
  12. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Speaker cables are on the floor, but all the power cables are raised. I use very cheap unglazed flower pots from Orchard Hardware (San Jose company recently acquired by Lowes).

13. Metralla

Very nice rack - do you have a photo?

14. jeff kleinberg

Code:
    That's what I've always done with my Naim gear, and will never do any differently. I can't imagine a reason why anyone would.

Have you heard naim with RSA power equipment? There is tremendous improvement in my nac52/nap250/SC system with my Dmitry/HZ/Mongoose cables. If your ever in WH CT I'l be happy to throw on some lp's to compare. It is not subtle. I have the best naim power cables under hiline with the watt gate plugs for comparison. The RSA's are just better in every way with no loss of prat. Even naim is recommending neutral power filtering with their adept response recommendation/endorsement. I haven't heard them. I have only heard RSA and Shunyata. I didn't like the Shunyata at all with the Naim stuff.

15. jeff kleinberg

Metralla,
    Just posted a few in the post pics of your system thread

16. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

Have you ever tried a Hydra power cable? I got a reasonable quote for one from Grahams HiFi in the UK.

17. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

Based on another forum, I experimented with lifting the speaker cables using clothes pegs and also some packing foam. When lifted, the bass is generally tighter but thins out instruments and bloom as a consequence. Never tried with those expensive brands though.

18. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

I have mine snaking in a mess across my floor around the borders of my listening room. I didn't realize it was a problem.:laugh:

sunrayjack, somnar and Brother_Rael like this.
  19. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Where else?

20. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Floor.

21. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

I had my spaghetti nest dangling to and on the floor until I picked up a bucket load of old glazed ceramic telephone and power insulators for $5 at a yard sale and thought they'd work like a charm as 'lifters'. They do the job just fine and the wires look more organized but I can't really say if they do anything for the sound. I believe the theory is that wires on carpet pick up a static charge that can move along the casing and add noise so my thoughts are that the insulators wont conduct a charge as well as physically lifting the wires. Its a cheap tweak and certainly looks more organized though that may be the extent of the benefits.

22. DEG

DEG Sparks ^^^

always.

23. sgb

sgb Senior Member

+1

24. Metralla

Totally agree - looks better. I could not hear any obvious change in the sound.

Beattles likes this.
  25. David.m

David.m Forum Resident

On the floor except for a little of the right speaker cable which I have raised to separate it from some parallel running some power cables.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.