Anyone heard the Musical Fidelity X-Ray V3 CD player?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KeithH, Feb 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

I was browsing in one of my local audio stores today when I came across the Musical Fidelity X-Ray V3 CD player. A salesman said it lists for $1000 and that I could get it for $925. I didn't get a chance to listen to it critically, but it looks great and is built very well. Musical Fidelity web site says that it weighs 10 lbs., but it seemed heavier. Musical Fidelity states on its web site that the player upsamples to 24/96, which is a nice bonus in a $1000 player.

Some of you may recall that I've been pondering the Rotel RCD-1072 or Arcam CD-73 as a single-disc CD player for my second system. Does anyone have experience with the Musical Fidelity player on its own or in comparison to the Rotel and/or the Arcam?

By the way, the X-Ray V3 is part of Musical Fidelity's X Series of smaller components. Note the small footprint:

[​IMG]

2. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

Personally I wouldn't bother - not that reliable and MF have an annoying knack of bringing out a better model for cheaper in a couple of months. ALL reviewers love them, which makes me suspicious.

Tim

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. Are you saying that this particular CD player has a reliability issue or Musical Fidelity products on the whole? If it is this particular player, what is the issue?

I kind of doubt that Musical Fidelity would replace the X-Ray V3 with something cheaper. It's $1000 retail here in the U.S., and that's getting cheap for Musical Fidelity these days. Of course, I could be wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.