Anyone here read comics?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Beatlelennon65, Mar 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member Thread Starter

I dont mean to dork out the forum, but does anyone here read comics? With all the Superhero movies coming out there have got to be some people picking up the books they are based on. A couple of books that are really good right now are The Incredible Hulk, Batman, and Ultimate Spiderman.

2. Reader

Reader Forum Resident

I do! Sometimes I'll go for a while and not read many then go overboard for a while. (I read lots of different things also. Currently reading lots of Charles Dickens.) I don't keep up with any regular series but just get whatever catches my eye. My all time favorite is probably Dr. Strange or other Ditko comics. I tend to pick up reissues of older material more than new comics because so many of the new series seem generic to me. This may be some age bias creeping in, don't know. What are some of your favorites?

3. Reader

Reader Forum Resident

Oh yeah! Don't worry about dorking anybody out. Comics are as legit as anything else. It's all got it's place.

4. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Only BUFFY, ANGEL, WITCHBLADE and CEREBUS these days, but back when I was a kid I was a rabid comics hound, when they were only 10 or 12 cents a copy(those were the days! $3 and more now...)

Nah, nothing dorky about them. All the big Marvel titles(FF, Spidey, Submariner, Iron Man, Daredevil, X-Men, Cap America, Nick Fury, Avengers, Mighty Thor, you name it)and some DC's(Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, The Flash, Justice League, Teen Titans).

Comics must matter if no less eminences as Paulie and Donovan have made mention of them in their songs.

Cool thread, BL. Let's see who else 'fesses up...

ED:cool:

5. Beatlelennon65

That Alan Moore League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen is pretty cool. We shall see if the movie is worth a damn though. Bruce Jones has been writing The Hulk for about 12 or 15 issues (maybe more) now and it is great. Kinda reminds me of the TV show, with Bruce on the run. The Hulk doesnt even show up for several issues, and it is great. The covers are pretty cool too, going from cartoon like to that guy who I cant remember his name but he drew the wonderful paintings of classic Americana- Coke, Santa Claus etc. What was his name? Astro City is finally out again, supposedly on a every other month basis.

6. Beatlelennon65

Also, remember that scene in Help! where Paul has the Superman or Jimmy Olsen comics on the piano. I never took the time to try to look at the cover and figure out what issue it was.
    Ya, the old FF was pretty good. Mark Waid is writing it now and it is pretty good. Batman is good too. Thor has had a great story lately. It takes into account his godhood, kinda cool.
    Daredevil has been good if a bit slow.
    Amazing Spiderman has been great. Great writing and great art. The pacing has been a little drawn out, but that is ok when the writing is this good.
    Rising Stars is good when it comes out.
    For some reason it seems like Grant would be into this stuff as well, we will see if he chimes in.

7. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I read the Saturday funnies.... does that count?

My classic comics went loooong ago. Too bad.... I had the very first edition of Abbot and Costello, too.

8. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

I was a big Marvel nut and owned issues #1- 50 of so many titles that I could cry thinking about it now. My Spiderman collection started at #2 though, but I had all of them up to 100. FF started at issue 5 and also went straight through til 100. Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, Jim Steranko, Gene Colon, and many more were all my heroes.

9. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Forum Resident

Norman Rockwell?

Haven't really bought any comics since the early 90s. I used to be a pretty big collector. Still have them all. My favorites for curiosity's sake are two take-offs of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Adolescent Radioactive Blackbelt Hamsters and Pre-Teen Dirty Jean Kung-Fu Kangaroos! All-time favorite is SpiderMan. Always liked Marvel better than DC. The BatMan is cool, though. Hello, dorkness.

10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

OK, I'm fessing up in the hopes that someone will take some of my books off my hands :)

Really, I got heavy into Marvel/DC/etc. from mid 80's till about '92. Haven't ready them in several years. I finally gave up on comics when they started to get too much into "Special Silver/Gold/Platinum Limited Edition Cover" It was more than I could handle and getting way expensive.

11. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Haden Sunblum (sp?) is the artist BL65 is thinking of.

12. Ed Bishop

Jim Steranko!! A genius! Didn't hang around in comics too long, IIRC, but long enough to do all the early Nick Fury Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D's back in '68 or '69. Ditko's Spideys are amazing; I still have a handful of early ones. Kirby was....incredible, and strange. His early FF style was very crude, but as time went along, he slowly became more stylized until...one day--as if he'd dropped acid and found the Comic Artist's God--he turned so flamboyant and gloriously over-the-top it was as if he went from "Love Me Do" to "A Day In The Life" in a matter of months. Eventually he beat that style to death, but for the great vintage FF's, still not to be beat. Again, just scattered copies here and there. Also a fan of Neal Adams, who did many great X-Men issues.

Scariest thing, I remember a guy who used to sell comics(maybe still does), Howard Rogofsky I think his name was. Back in 1970, the first list he sent had a decent copy of FF #1 for $20.00:eek: :sigh: .

To quote you, Robert....I could cry thinking about it now:( . Not for what it's worth today- that's mindboggling enough--but just to hold history in my hands so far down the road. Had my chance, but $20 back then went toward 45's, not one comic book.

13. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Ed, they put out all of the Steranko SHIELD issues from Strange Tales in a trade paperback that has quickly gone out of print twice. Pick it up on ebay, as it is worth it. I love the Steranko stuff, but my favorite work on Nick Fury were the two issues done by John Severin (of EC comics and Cracked fame).

Ed, I'll tell ya what happened to Jack Kirby... Joe Sinnott. Joe Sinnott's inks took Kirby's work to a place never equalled. Sure Jack was way over the top, but hey, it's only a comic book! ;)

14. Ed Bishop

Thanks for the info, Robert. Have put that paperback on the 'must track down' list. I have scattered issues of ST and SHIELD my brother found many years ago. I know from experience those volumes have the 'pure color' look, as opposed to the faded original comics(kind of a comic 'digital remaster' you might say;) . And I agree on Severin: fine artist, underrated as hell. CRACKED never appealed to me at all, but his work at Marvel was far more inspired. I can't say I've ever seen his Fury work, but my memory on those comics is a bit patchy, and I haven't pulled those Marvel boxes in so many years(too much of everything else to do--like being here:) )

Joe Sinnott...a name that brings back memories. Inker extraordinaire. And being 'over the top' was what I loved about their partnership: it got so ridiculous it was as impressive as it was funny(and many artists--George Perez and who knows how many others who came later--copied Kirby's inflated drawings while the company made sure to locate inkers who would do the Sinnott thing to finish the job).

Wow....grown men waxing rhapsodic about comics. And why not? When I was a kid, the great escape was twofold: reading a comic while listening to my favorite music, still finding time to watch some TV before being forced to bed(and then sneaking back out to watch TV again if I could get away with it). As posted above, I still buy a few, just to keep in touch.

And some of those comics--most of all the Marvel's--had some great moral and philosophical points to make that have probably stayed with me without my knowing it(thanks, Stan Lee).

Never did get my "No-Prize" certificate. Kind of like the SH decoder ring and washroom key. Just got lost in the mail, I guess:D

15. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Here they are for you to see. Also, here's the Steranko SHIELD books-- in the middle of the page. I bet half.com carries them.

16. RDK

RDK Active Member

I've been reading and collecting comics for nearly 30 years now (not counting all those Archies and Richie Riches I read when I was even younger). But though i follow the industry quite closely for my work, i really don't read much anymore.

But don't worry about "dorking out" the forum - I'm with you man! ;)

'Nuff said,

Ray

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Tell me one kid from the 30's to the 60's that did not read or collect comics! My Mom enjoyed telling me how she had Superman #1 and all the originals from the 30's and 40's...both Parents enjoyed Comics as Kids...Shame they didn't save 'em...

18. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

I was way into Steranko too. Kirby was the first to use whole pages as panels, but Steranko took it to another level. When I was a kid, I wanted to become a comic book artist, but I got discouraged when I found out my poor heroes were working like dogs and making peanuts.

19. Grant

Grant A Musical Free-Spirit

I read Archie, and all of it's offshoots, Sad Sack, beetle Bailey, Dennis The Menace, Richie Rich, Mad, cracked, and Peanuts. In the papers I read Doonsbury, Cathy, Hagar, and a few others I can't recall now. I never cared for super-hero-type stuff. (as Grant hurries out the door before he gets pounded).

20. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

speaking of Archie, remember they use to have a thicker (cost a quarter instead of 12 cents) comic called "Little Archie"? It was the adventures of Archie when he was in grammar school. It always had a book length story.

21. Grant

Grant A Musical Free-Spirit

Yeah, I have lots of Little Archie too.

One thing that always bugged me, why do you only see females buying and Archie comics? The boys had the records. Hmmmm...

22. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street

Grew up sneaking comics, they were not allowed. One of two poor financial decisions made on my behalf by my parents. [Should have been helping me collect them and preserving them!]. Not investing and collecting compound interest from my birth being the major financial error.

I still read graphic novels, one major storyline collected from several issues. Some great stories, some great graphics. Almost exclusively Marvel and DC. A noteable exception being Strangers in Paradise, just exceptional stuff.

23. Reader

Reader Forum Resident

Haddon Sundblom did the Coca Cola/ Christmas paintings mentioned by BL65. There are a couple books available that show some of his work. Beautiful, nostalgic stuff. Anybody ever read Enemy Ace? This was a unique book that started in the 60's. Very moody work that broke new ground in both the visual and literary form of comic books.

24. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Count me in as a reader/collector. Been buying them for about 30 years, now. Don't buy many nowadays, as ED said, way too expensive. Marvel has undergone something of a creative renaissance since Quesada took over. Amazing Spider-Man is a great read nowadays. Batman is good right now too, with Loeb and Lee(Jim Lee, that is)doing career-defining work. As for the old stuff, I was incredibly lucky in that I got the sixties Marvel bug in the seventies, when you could buy the old stuff for cheap. Howabout Fantastic Four #1 for $85?!! X-Men #1 for $20! I picked up the entire Silver Surfer 18-issue run for #100! Issue #1 goes for $400 in mint condition now! Amazing Spider-Man #1 is one of those MIA in my collection, and I'll never be able to get it now, since it goes for $30,000 in mint. DC was cool too, but I was never as big a fan of them as I was of Marvel. The entire run of EC comics was reprinted last decade, and I picked them up. Have a dozen or so originals that were my father's. Boy, they really printed them on toilet paper back then. BUT, the artists were the best! John Severin, BTW ED, worked for them originally.

Comics are an original American art form, just like Jazz.

25. Beatlelennon65

Joe Sinnott is my favorite inker of all time. Neal Adams did some great work on Batman and Green Lantern/Green Arrow back in the late 60's early 70's. The 2 GL/GA TPB collections are pretty cool. Cant say enough about Jack Kirby. Walt Simonson had a great run on Thor several years ago. I think he wrote and drew that one.
    Two people I have never been able to tolerate are John Byrne and Chris Claremont. These guys are soooo overrated. When Chris took over FF a few years ago, I gave it 3 issues and dropped the book. I know FF hasnt been good in forever (at least until Mark Waid took over), but the Claremont issues were terrible.
    I never read the Steranko Shield but I have seen the TPB and it looks really cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.