Anyone here still listen to The Fugs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by elaterium, Dec 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know they have definitely dated, but I still enjoy putting on the first album every once in a while. Anyone see them live back in the 60's? Anyone have any singles or the first album on Broadside? Any thoughts at all?

Culpa likes this.
  2. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Not a frequent listen for me, but I really enjoy the first few albums. My favorite is actually Virgin Fugs, which I suppose is a bit perverse (as are the band), but I like my Fugs dirty and shambolic. I see Ed Sanders around the city every now and again, at protests and shows, and that's a nice reminder of a Greenwich Village long gone and much missed (heck, before my time), as is the Fugs' music.

3. I listen to them occasionally. I love "Wide, Wide River".

TheDailyBuzzherd likes this.
  4. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I've listened to The Fugs in the last year or so, they will always deserve respect. I particularly liked Tuli, I dug "No Deposit No Return" and he had one of the best titles ever to appear on Amazon. They should have come up in the Who Invented Punk thread since there's more punk in "Kill for Peace" than in the whole careers of some artists mentioned there.

5. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Ed's memoir from a few years ago is a splendid read.

6. elaterium

I asked him to autograph my copy.

7. elaterium

Agreed, before they got too well produced.

8. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

bluemooze, TheDailyBuzzherd and Culpa like this.
  9. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

I love the songs 'I Want To Get High' and 'River Of ****', and listen to them often,( assuming those are the correct titles).
    I've always assumed they were off the first album which I often look for but have never found.
    Recommendations are welcome.

10. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Don't mean to thread crap, but is David Peel still out and about?

11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Haven't listened to the Fugs in ages but still listen to Stampfel and Weber, AKA The Holy Modal Rounders who were melded with the Fugs for a brief but exceptionally weird period, during the time this mega group was signed to the ever bizarre ESP record label. Peter Stampel is a Facebook friend, not so hard to sign up. He has a very entertaining feed. Recently busted a leg in Ireland, had to return via Ocean liner on his back, during a wild storm at sea at that. Currently recuperating and rehabilitating, there is a second "Have Moicy" that just got birthed.

12. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I'm a big Fugs fan. It Crawled Into My Hand Honest is one of my favorite albums by anybody. Belle of Avenue A has some great moments, and the versions of Nothing and Supergirl on Golden Filth are sublime.

The first live reunion album, Refuse To Be Burnt Out, has some great stuff. The 2-disc Real Woodstock Festival is a fantastic live overview of the Fugs, with lots of primo Tuli.

And I just found a copy of No Deposit No Return at a Salvation Army for two dollars a couple months ago!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  13. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

Supergirl, from Golden Filth. Live at the Fillmore East, 1968.

linclink likes this.
  14. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

This is my favorite version of CIA Man, live from '84.

15. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

One of my all-time favorites, this is just beautiful. How Sweet I Roamed, live in 1994, from The Real Woodstock Festival.

16. elaterium

Perhaps you're thinking of 'I Couldn't Get High' and 'Wide, Wide River'? All the early albums have been reissued in expanded form on CD. Tons of vinyl copies on ebay.

17. elaterium

I was at that concert.

Culpa likes this.
  18. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

My favorite Couldn't Get High is the Golden Filth version. Wide Wide River is on It Crawled Into My Hand Honest, the live versions aren't nearly as good (especially without Ken Weaver). There's a great early version with an alternate Ken rap on the Dont Stop box set.

19. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I have 4 songs from the 2nd album on my Ipod..............."Group Grope," "Dirty Old Man." "Kill for Peace," and "Doin' All Right." They turn up when I shuffle songs quite a bit.

qm1ceveb and TheDailyBuzzherd like this.
  20. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Another Fugs fan here. Happy to say I got to see them three times from the late 80s to late 90s up in Woodstock at the Byrdcliff Barn. I can second the recommendation for Ed's memoir. I'm a bit miffed I waited too long to grab their last release and now I can't even get it as a download, let alone a CD copy. The few tracks I managed to hear seemed to indicate it was a Tuli tour-de-force. I sure miss Tuli's presence - his youtube "perverbs" were brilliant! Long live the FUGS!
    ----------Chris

TheDailyBuzzherd and Culpa like this.
  21. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Tenderness Junction has some great stuff too - Turn On Tune In Drop Out!

22. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Never Fuggin heard of em.

YES, Im here all week....do try the veal!

ModernDayWarrior likes this.
  23. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

"Swinbourne Stomp" off the 1st album ... made me what I am today!!!

24. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

My Fav:

25. elaterium

And what would that be?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.