Anyone here use a Denon DL301 II?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by utahusker, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm thinking of getting one to try out the MC section of my Jasmine LP 2.0 phono stage.

From the descriptions I've read, it seems to be a good match for my SME 345 arm, and also the sound signature I like. More important, it's in the price range I want to spend.

That said, I've owned a few 103/103R variences, and liked them, but they were used on different equipment.

Please give me your impressions to help in the decision making.

2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Unhelpful banter - I've always wanted to try a Denon LOMC, especially the 103's despite their compliance being out of whack with most modern tonearms. I've never heard a Japanese moving coil I didn't like.

3. Mikay

Mikay Active Member

I have one. I think you'll be quite pleased.

utahusker likes this.
  4. utahusker

What numbers are you loading ?

5. russk

russk Forum Resident

I only have limited experience with LOMC. The list includes the Quintet Black, a Benz Gold, an AT33 and the Denon 103 (which I owned for a bit on an SL1200) and the 301mk2. I really liked the sound of the 301mk2. Very full and detailed but laid back at the sametime. It sounded very natural to me. I do remember it needing an unusually high loading. The friend who was running it used the 470 setting on his vtl phono pre and I heard at 250 and 1k as well. The 250 sounded a bit thin it really benefited from the higher loadings. I much preferred it to my 103. Very nice cartridge.

6. utahusker

The problem is my phono stage has settings 50-100-250-1000 at 70 db of gain. I'm thinking the 250 ohm setting will be nice and warm with hopefully enough upper end to balance everything.

Ive heard 300-660 works the best, so who knows. Most phono stages have 65db of gain, so my 70 db may help with the lower 250 ohm setting.

7. russk

russk Forum Resident

It sounded great at 1k just a touch warmer. I'd take it at either the 470 or 1k. Great tracker too.

8. utahusker

My experience has been the higher the ohms the thinner the sound. I could be wrong, it's been a while.

9. russk

russk Forum Resident

Everything was much more forward including the midrange

10. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

Usually true.

11. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I like all the Denon carts I've used or heard, but the 301 is my least favorite of those. It sounds a little too light in tone for my preferences. Realize that I tend to like a meatier, fuller sound, though.

12. utahusker

Me too, but the one I listened to on a completely different table sounded thick. Hmmmm, I may need to re-think this.

13. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

There are so many variables that it's difficult to generalize...in another tonearm with a different phono stage, who knows how the 301 would sound to a given listener?

EDIT: I'm confusing the 301 with the 304, I think....2 different cartridges. :(

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  14. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

I have a 301mk2, have run it through a stock 1210 tonearm and now through The Wand, via Quad 99 pre with no loading setting options. It is an excellent cartridge. Great tracker with heaps of detail but not etched in any way. I have not noticed any IGD either. Lots of nuanced bass and the mid range is very nice as well. Sounds great from Rock through to Jazz and in my opinion it is excellent for the price. Mine has got a couple of years on it now so I am wondering if it is worth re tipping or going for something else... perhaps a Nagaoka MP500 or an audio technica MC perhaps?

Would like to know peoples thoughts on the 301 vs 304 as well...

15. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

I have also heard that the 304 is a bit more delicate than the 301... which is more fuller sounding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.