Anyone into 'BREAKING BAD'? (part 5)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Seems doubtful. It was only available for a few weeks before Christmas before selling out, and Amazon re-sellers are charging a premium. My guess is that the issues with the packaging being broken in shipping is going to result in a redesign.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  2. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

3. DreadPikathulhu

There is, but does it contain all of the bonus content of the barrel set?

4. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

No idea, but if I had to guess I'd say the discs themselves are probably exactly the same as what was in the barrel set. This just seems to be missing the physical collectors items.

5. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Breaking Bad cartoon.jpg

Hawkeye likes this.
  6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

$208!!! that's even more expensive than the barrel was originally - the pricing makes no sense given the price of individual seasons - ok never mind I see for $135 on Amazon.ca

7. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Can't read anything in this thread since I'm still in season four, but let me just say what genius it was to have that opening sequence with The Association's "Windy" juxtaposed against the "scenes from a hooker's day." I roared with laughter. This is one sick, sick show. I don't think I've ever been more conflicted about a television series. I had to stop watching at the end season two since I felt such revulsion toward the characters. Never thought I would return to it, but after several months I started back. Looks like I'm actually going to make it to the end. :sweating::D

8. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

Strap yourself in, you're in for a ride.

manicpopthrill likes this.
  9. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

"I thought I was out, but they just keep sucking me back in!"

Good luck. Hope you can make it to the end.

10. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Such an appropriate quote!

I hope I can make it to the end too. I've invested way too much time to have to abandon it now!

11. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

You have to make it to the end. It's the greatest television series ever.

Hawkeye and rburly like this.
  12. DreadPikathulhu

I recommended it to my parents in January and they managed to watch the entire series on a little over a month. Every time there was a major plot development, I'd get an e-mail or text message raving about it.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  13. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I'm excited for those working through it for the first time, but I also hate them. ;)

14. DreadPikathulhu

I wish there were some way to un-watch the show so I could watch it again.

15. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

There's probably a lot of things I'd like to unwatch :)

16. DreadPikathulhu

There must be some way to force yourself into a fugue state.

17. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Well, her name is Wendy isn't it?

18. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

Keep going, you'll find new levels of revulsion toward the characters that you never knew existed. It's that good, IMHO ...

19. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

It's testament to the quality of the writing and acting that you can enter into this world and feel so strongly about these characters. I want to dive back in from the beginning when I have the time.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  20. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Believe it or not..... my parents recommended it to ME! I'm definitely my parents son!

21. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Okay folks: I just STARTED watching Breaking Bad on Netflix yesterday. I'm trying to keep it to two episodes a sitting.
    It's brilliant indeed, but leaves me kind of exhausted.
    Here's why (I think):
    I have pretty much ignored current television programming since the mid-90s. I gave up cable in 1999. I never had the 'premium' channel as my schedule doesn't leave a lot of time for TV. When I did watch, I found most popular TV shows to be dark, violent, full of anxious premises and generally not a lot of fun, or enlightening. AND I hated 'soap-opera' story lining. I loved "The X-Files" until it became a serialized show. Therefore, I had no idea how TV shows have evolved in the last 15-20 years. How "permissive" things have gotten! Of course I check in with stuff every now and then.

Since getting Netflix, I found myself tired of looking for interesting documentaries or goofy, dated TV shows of the 70s. The music category is getting more narrow. So I have dove into recent British comedies, tried watching "Weeds", and I wanted to find out for myself how Breaking Bad was. It is fantastic! I'm hooked for sure. But I have to get used to the timbre of current writing and characterization. It gets really dark in there. I'm just not used to it!

I imagine all of you have been used to this kind of production. It's new to me.

Bender Rodriguez and rburly like this.
  22. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Senior Member

Very interesting perspective ODP. I hope you occasionally put updates here on your thoughts as you're making your way through the series. As others have said, I wish I could watch it again for the first time. It's that good.

O Don Piano likes this.
  23. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Don't worry, the darkest stuff is often spiced with humor as well.

O Don Piano and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  24. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Right- that's what I like most about it so far. Characterization even from only 4 episodes so far is rich, inventive, and out-of-control believable.

25. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I got the blu-ray Collectors edition of the Breaking Bad barrel with all the swag. It also has a 2 hour documentary that is just superb. I'm about halfway through it right now and it brings back all those original feelings and emotions. I can see me starting watching this from Season 1 Ep 1 and going straight through again at my own pace. The documentary has so many behind the scenes information and the people that were there that gives so much insight into the making of the whole series. If the extra documentary is available wherever, I highly recommend it to anyone who loved this show as much as I did when it was on.

Hawkeye likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.