Anyone into 'BREAKING BAD'? (part 5)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HadgeTunes

HadgeTunes Forum Resident

Ah, see - now that's why THIS is a brilliant scene! While there was surely some truth to Walt's words to Skyler, everything he was saying was to make her look innocent, since he knew the cops would be listening. "It was all me!" and all that. Such a knockout scene for Cranston and Gunn. Just go back watch their respective faces - she's slowly realizing what he's doing and he's fighting tears and LITERAL SOBS as he's putting on this villainous "Heinsenberg" act! They both earned the hell outta their Emmys for that season. So, so good. Gotta go watch now.

JimW likes this.
  2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

He did have it planned didnt he? But something tellls me he wasnt "acting". He may have used those feelings to help her, I believe he loved her in some way; but I also think he felt that way towards her. Complicated fellow.

3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Music question:
    In the episode where Walt encounters Jesse's girlfriend's father in a bar by chance (not knowing who he is of course), what was the music playing in the background?

4. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Phoenix

According to this it's Green Grass & High Tides by The Outlaws

Purple Jim likes this.
  5. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

6. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

7. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Okay ... so I just netflixed every episode of Breaking Bad in the last two weeks ... I had not seen it before and had avoided all the spoilers.

Every night was "I really should get some sleep but I need to watch just one more episode ... two more episodes ... maybe three".

It was amusing to go back and read the Breaking Bad posts here ... and all the wildly wrong predictions ... although I also had no idea where things were going either.

Seems like I should put Better Call Saul in the queue ...

--Geoff

Gumboo, brettster808, Craig and 3 others like this.
  8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Definitely!

Hawkeye likes this.
  9. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

If you liked BB, you'll like BCS, IMHO.

10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

They're two different shows but . . . yeah.

11. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

I may be in a minority here but I actually prefer BCS, though BB was hugely enjoyable.

12. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

I agree. I enjoy "Better Call Saul" so much more than "Breaking Bad." Of course, there is no accounting for taste, but what I like so much about "Better Call Saul" is that it is more character-driven than plot-driven. And, that focus has really prompted the actors to step up their game -- I feel the acting and direction really make "Better Call Saul" the better show.

Of course, your opinions may vary (there's no "right" or "wrong" here).

13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I don't really disagree. . . but I can't tell how I would view this show had I NOT immersed myself so deeply in the Breaking Bad world for years beforehand.

14. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I think it's apparent that VG and crew honed their craft through five seasons of "Breaking Bad", so "Better Call Saul" starts out with an advantage that the creative crew now have more experience and an even greater skill set than before. And it shows.

Tim S and Hawkeye like this.
  15. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

For those of you who never saw this very good show, it is being aired on Sundance TV starting Wed, Dec. 30. Four back to back episodes each Wed.

16. rburly

[​IMG]
    This was Periscoped at an award ceremony earlier this evening in Palm Springs for actors. I was watching this and got screenshots of Bryan Cranston, Robert Downey Jr. and Matt Damon. There were many other actors there too.

This was great because the guy who was scoping the events outside gave Bryan a Los Pollos Hermanos apron and Bryan put it on and then signed it. He was really cool, as were the other big names there, in signing autographs and talking to the crowd. It was cool to watch.

17. rburly

A Huge 'Breaking Bad' Mystery Is Finally Solved

© AMC AMC

It's been about three years since the show ended, but somehow we just got a huge bit of "Breaking" news.

Yeah, your life has to be pretty messed up to make you throw pizza on the roof of your house. (That's just a wasteful, bro.) Now we finally know more about how Walter White got to that point in "Breaking Bad." Namely, show creator Vince Gilligan and co-showrunner Peter Gould filled us in on why he left his old company, Gray Matter.

In the series, we learn White co-founded Gray Matter Technologies along with his friend Elliott Schwartz. White is dating his lab assistant, Gretchen, but he suddenly leaves her while spending 4th of July weekend with her family. He sells his shares of Gray Matter to his partner for $5,000. The company is later worth billions, Elliott and Gretchen get married and White goes on to, you know, die in a meth lab. (And they all lived happily ever after.)

The real reason White left Gray Matter, which serves as part of the motivation for the character's dark turn, has remained a mystery, but while chatting with The Huffington Post about "Yo Soy Saul," an original song created for "Better Call Saul," Gilligan and Gould also finally opened up about one of the biggest unanswered questions from the series:

Here's why Walter White left Gray Matter.

"Breaking Bad" actress Jessica Hecht, who plays Gretchen, mentioned in an AMC Q&A that Walt left the company and their relationship because he felt inferior. Gilligan confirmed this was true to HuffPost, saying, "She's correct, and that's what I explained to her and to [Bryan Cranston] before they shot that big scene between the two of them where they were at the restaurant."

The scene Gilligan is referring to takes place in the Season 2 episode "Peekaboo."

"It ends with him being so nasty to her saying, 'F*** you,' and then she leaves tearfully," said Gilligan. "In my mind, the interesting thing here -- and I always kind of hate to nail it down so explicitly -- but let's put it this way, most viewers of 'Breaking Bad' assume Gretchen and Elliott are the bad guys, and they assume that Walt got ripped off by them, got ill used by them, and I never actually saw it that way."

Gilligan explained that the truth is more nuanced. It all stemmed from White's feeling of inferiority while spending time with Gretchen's family.

"I think it was kind of situation where he didn't realize the girl he was about to marry was so very wealthy and came from such a prominent family, and it kind of blew his mind and made him feel inferior and he overreacted. He just kind of checked out. I think there is that whole other side to the story, and it can be gleaned. This isn't really the CliffsNotes version so much. These facts can be gleaned if you watch some of these scenes really closely enough, and you watch them without too much of an overriding bias toward Walt and against Gretchen and Elliott," said Gilligan.

Gould added, "I think the interesting thing is not exactly what happened but the fact that Walt hasn't let it go over all these years. He has no perspective on himself. He gets to the point where all he can really do is try to justify everything that he’s done."

Gould believes Walt did finally change at the very end. "He was there for one thing: to take care of his family," he said.

"The short answer here is that I think people tend to think of Gretchen and Elliott as the villains because they're a couple of rich happy people, and they seemed to be arraigned against our hero, 'Walter White,' but the truth may be not so quite on the nose," said Gilligan.

So there you go, Walter White. The reason you left Gray Matter had to do with feeling inferior.

Admitting that is the first part of the healing process. The second part is not throwing your pizza.

Just don't do it, dude.

A Huge 'Breaking Bad' Mystery Is Finally Solved »

alexpop, JimW and Scope J like this.
  18. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Yeah, this conforms to my impression of why Walt left Gretchen and sold his interest in the company -- it was a compulsive act, borne of insecurity, and not at all attributable to any sort of scheming on the part of Gretchen and/or Elliott. I never saw it as a "mystery," but I can see why some people who didn't watch that episode closely would have wondered... The fact that Walter had only himself to blame just added to the tragic nature of the thing.

19. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

I always assumed that Walt found out that Gretchen had feelings for Elliott and just took off rather than confronting the "triangle." But this makes more sense. Pride was Walt's downfall and it's pretty commonly accepted that huge egos are often caused by over-compensating for feelings of inadequacy/insecurity. It also makes it even more understandable why he would refuse monetary help from G&E- that would just feed into his feelings of inferiority.

artfromtex likes this.
  20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Is it worth it to double dip on the recent Blu Ray box( have the first one) ie: is there more extras ?

21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Sorta demystifies it.

22. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I've said it before, but I binge watched BB over 6 week period after the show had ended. I hadn't watched any of the series before I started and purposefully avoided any spoilers or info about the series or finale before watching. Seeing it in such a concentrated period of time really made an impact on me and to be honest, the show haunted me for a couple of month afterwards. I couldn't shake Walter and his family or the path that they had travelled.

JimW, alexpop and Hawkeye like this.
  23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I felt like I was wired for a week when I marathoned this show. Great show, but I do wonder what it would have been like to have stretched it out over 5 yrs.

24. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Yeah....I recently watched the whole series in about 2 weeks. Great show. I'm still jonesin' for it.

Scope J likes this.
  25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I finally got throught the whole series, watching it with my son over the last year or so (a slow binge).
    We absolutely loved it and it's probably the best TV series I've ever seen (but I'm not a connaiseur of the various US series of the past 10 to 15 years).
    I did get a little fed up with it after a couple of seasons and I deserted it for about two or three months. Got back in, Gus arrived and it got me hooked again.
    What a blast - all the way to the bitter end. Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul were just fabulous, as were the supporting actors. First class casting, acting, writing, editing and direction.
    Now for Better Call Saul!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.