Anyone into 'BREAKING BAD'?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by spice9, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

Jesse touched a lot of stuff in this episode aside from the stuff he wiped off! Door knob on the way in, the kids bedroom door knob, the sledgehammer, the inner workings and the sides of the ATM, the plate with food for the kid, et al.

I believe some ATMs have a battery operate camera in them that in the event of a power failure, they can't be looted without record of it. Was Jesse caught on tape?

Walt isn't out of his lie about his friends paying for his cancer. That's gonna come back to haunt him.

2. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru

I just watched Season 1 via Netflix, but haven't tried to see any of the new season--I'm content to wait to get it all at once rather than having to remember to tape it each week.

No, I do NOT have a DVR or TiVo. :D

JcS

3. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

Cable carriers (Comcast for sure) are carrying this season "On Demand". I've just checked it out and it's FREE! Choose TV Entertainment, then AMC on the Comcast menu system. There are lots of extras I may return to, but right now it only has Episodes 203 - 206 (reg. or HD). The description I read of 203 is definitely not the season opener.

You might be able to watch the earlier shows online.

Now, since you've just watched season 1, you can help us out with a summary of the relationship between Walt and Elliot & Gretchen. Was this a love triangle? Was Gretchen a fellow researcher alongside Walt & Elliot? Add if you will anything else to explain that backstory.

4. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

From AMC:

Meanwhile, Walt and Skyler attend a birthday party for Elliott, Walt's graduate school buddy and former business partner. Walt congratulates Elliott for securing a patent, and he and Skyler greet Elliott's wife, Gretchen. Gretchen is the woman who was Walt's lab partner when he was studying the composition of the human body as a young man in the flashback in episode 3.

In Elliott's wood-paneled library, Walt views a framed Scientific American cover story titled "Gray Matters." Later, Elliott introduces Walt as a "master of crystallography" who made major contributions to the discoveries that led to Elliott's successful technology company, Gray Matter. Walt's "the 'White' in Gray Matter."

Walt and Skyler cringe as Elliott begins to open his presents in front of the guests, nervous that the gift they brought will not compete with those of the party's well-heeled guests. One present is a Stratocaster guitar autographed to him by Eric Clapton. Walt and Skyler's gift is a package of ramen. "I love it," Elliott says, recalling how he and Walt survived on this exact brand of ramen as struggling grad students.

Later, while reminiscing about old times, Elliott offers Walt a job. When Walt declines, Elliott assures him the company has excellent health insurance.

Walt slams the door as he and Skyler leave the party. "You told him about the cancer, didn't you?" he asks Skyler, accusing her of putting Elliott up to paying for Walt's treatments. Over breakfast the next morning, Walt and Skyler glare at each other. No one speaks.

In the treatment-clinic's reception room, Skyler tells Walt she' can pay by credit card. "Elliott will send a check, right?" "I will take care of it," Walt replies.

As Walt parks his car later that day, his cell phone rings. By the phone number Walt presumes it's Elliott, but it's Gretchen, who tells him he has to accept the money, that it's half his. "Even the name of our company, it's half yours," she says, before asking, "Walt, is this about you and me?" Walt says he appreciates the offer, but his insurance has come through after all.

5. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

This show constantly reminds me of how good TV can be, when done right.:righton:

This, Saving Grace, The Closer , Fringe & Rescue Me are about all that's edgy & fresh any more

6. Tom in Houston

sberger,
    Thanks for posting that!

Now can you tell me where I've seen the actress playing Gretchen? What has she been in before? Her face is so familiar.

EDIT: Wait, I remember now - she played Ross' lesbian wife's new lover in Friends

7. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0372961/

8. Tom in Houston

Wow, I've seen her all over. I hope she has banked the paychecks from all that work. She should be set for life. Maybe that was her own dark blue Bentley coupe.:laugh:

9. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

Was anyone else knocked out by the opening of last night's installment? I'm glad they had subtitles for it.

The whole Turtle thing was pretty wild, too. :eek:

10. Tom in Houston

Great show last night! Big positive plot turns for our heroes!

I loved the music video "Negro y Azul" by Los Cuates de Sinaloa (norte, correct?)
    And by the end of the program we understood that both Heisenberg and Jesse were larger than life, their legends spreading on the wind.

Walt's coughing is getting worse, obviously by the writer's direction. Were they just keeping us grounded?

11. Tom in Houston

I forgot about the turtle thing! First they show us murder by ATM, now this.
    I may have to take note of the writers names if this stuff continues. Move over Tarrantino!

12. mr.schneider

I liked the end shot, wrapping the episode on an upturn instead of a typical dark one, with the potential of a love interest for punk-***, biatch Jesse. New plot lines and twists to open up with this situation. Skyler, too. She looked at the family photo a few times after talking/flirting with her new/old boss. I bet the cellphone in the school-room, drop-ceiling comes back into play as well.
    *Ring-ring!* Yo, Heisenberg!?

13. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Loved the narcocorrido, best show intro in ages!

14. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

After the intro, I looked at my wife and said, "That was different, and exactly the reason why I love this show." Quite a different episode than what we've seen lately. Interesting turns for Jesse (will the girl give him a reason to get out of the business and clean up?) and Hank (no longer the big fish in the little pond). Skylar seems to realize the importance of family again and Walt sounds like he's not doing to well with that cough.

15. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

In the first season, I found myself able relate to Walt and I had a fairly low opinion of Jesse. After the Skank/Spooge/ATM episode, I'm finding some respect for Jesse. His concern for the little boy really got to me and showed me that despite his many shortcomings, there could be a quality human being lurking just below the surface.

16. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I rented the first disc of the first season of Breaking Bad from Netflix. I only watched the first episode and it's good stuff. But *this* program is on AMC??! With F-bombs, nudity and violence? To the best of my knowledge, AMC edits their films for adult content so I'm surprised to see a show like this on their channel. Then again, I'm totally out of the loop as to what's permissable on television these days.

17. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

NUDITY?

wow..did I miss something?

18. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

You missed a shot of Walt's bare backside a few episodes back. Don't worry. Not too hot.

I missed the last episode. Just switched to Uverse and I can't find it on their version of "on demand". Hopefully, I just didn't look that well.

19. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

There's a full on boobs shot in the first episode.

20. Tom in Houston

Visit a friend with Comcast. Tell him you want to compare picture quality. This last episode is too good to miss!

21. Tom in Houston

Jesse shacks up with the occasional ho. Walt and Skyler have I'm-glad-to-still-be-alive sex on screen. Other than that the sexual content dies down.

The language stays the same.

The violence quotient goes way up as the season progresses - they are mixing with violent men.

The kids can't sit next you and watch this series. It's a made for cable series like Dexter or something off HBO. It's assumed the parents in a household are exercising control. I understand your surprise that it runs on AMC, but I'm glad they've taken this chance!

22. mr.schneider

You know what's funny about that... I watched that same episode on On Demand, because I enjoyed it so much, and there was a series of different edits- the woman was partially clothed! I thought that was unusual to air 2 different versions of the same show.

23. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Great episode again last night. Anybody else watch?

24. Tom in Houston

Yes! I finally found out why the writers kept calling out Walt's cough in the last few episodes.

I wonder if Saul will be a longterm character or if he'll be in and out like Tuco and several others, important one minute, blown away the next. Saul was already calling out the names of those who might want to do him in.

Loved Walt flying around the scene of the bust in his grey Aztec!

They didn't show him at the money well in the baby's room but I had the feeling he is pretty much tapped out after this week. One step up; two steps back.

25. Tom in Houston

Comcast cut my connection while fixing other customers' problems Sunday. I was reconnected today. I watched Breaking Bad #409 On Demand today. I log on here and no one has posted a thing!

I understand; it was intentionally slow and bleak this week. My guess is that they were trying to set us up for Walt's good news in the end.

I wonder if Skinny(?) is still driving desert roads looking for them.

I wonder if the drive back to town was different without front brakes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.