Anyone into 'BREAKING BAD'?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by spice9, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Yo. . . I noticed that too. Part of what made the first episodes seem a step down from the excellence of last season for me.

2. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Although it's only been a year in "real time," Jesse is growing up and he's been through a TON of humbling ... stuff. Remember that it's only been a few weeks (at most) since Brock almost died -- Jesse's in a somber place, as he was for awhile after Jane died.

When he gets fired up, though, he still sounds like the "old" Jesse, as in, "Yeah, B*TCH! Magnets!!"

3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

On the AMC podcast, Vince mentioned that someone at Comic-Con showed him that "Where's Walt's Money" pie-chart. Very funny, in that, Vince said he really wasn't taking how much money he actually had very seriously.
    Here's the link to the podcast; they do one after every show!
    http://www.amctv.com/shows/breaking-bad/insider-podcast-season-5

4. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

BTW, the jazzy rendition of "On a Clear Day You Can See Forever" that plays over the laboratory montage is the 1968 version by The Peddlers.

5. blue.monk

blue.monk Forum Resident

Another inspired choice by the production team. The montage music for this show is always surprising yet appropriate.

6. Steve in Omaha

Steve in Omaha Never kissed a bear, never kissed a goon

I agree, but I'll take it a few steps further...

Things are now similar to the way they were with Gus once Jesse proved he could cook on his own: Walt lived as long as Jesse remained loyal to him. What would put Walt in real jeopardy (not to mention emasculate him) would be if Jesse began siding with Mike on the reg.

My thinking is that Walt realizes there's another way to handle this power struggle. And that's WWGD? (What Would Gus Do?) The answer, of course, would be to kill Jesse. Walt's and Mike's uneasy partnership would continue, given Mike's ongoing need for massive cash flow, and the pie would be bigger too.

IMO, Walt's Icarus speech was designed to remind Jesse that Walt is the New Gus In Town, and to put him on notice that he's now expendable without further warning should he again choose to back the wrong partner.

7. mwv121

mwv121 Forum Resident

Here's a like to a short Rolling Stone interview with Anna Gunn. It's pretty decent, and she addresses some of the dislike that people have shown for Skyler. RS website

8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I think that's how Jesse took the speech as well.

I was really disappointed that Jesse broke up with Andrea after Walt planted the seed.

9. Sean Murdock

But why would Walt kill Jesse, and continue splitting the money 11 ways (Walt, Mike, and Mike's 9 guys), when he could kill Mike and go back to splitting everything TWO ways? (I know I'm leaving out the exterminators, Saul, etc. -- but you know what I'm getting at.) Your scenario wouldn't make sense to Walt, who is mightily chafed at Mike's demand that his guys be an "ongoing expense."

He doesn't need to threaten Jesse when he can manipulate him so easily. Indeed, Jesse started to confess that Walt's most recent manipulation worked perfectly (he broke up with Andrea) when Walt cut him off to complain about the money split. It was MIKE who was burning Walt's biscuits in that scene -- any problem Jesse poses was the furthest thing from Walt's mind...

10. BigAlsBro

BigAlsBro Active Member

Because Mike knows 9 people that will only listen to 'Mike'...

11. Sean Murdock

Yes, but none of Mike's guys know anything about WALT -- they only know Mike and his end of Gus' business. If Walt killed Mike, those 9 guys would be a lot less dangerous to Walt -- it's their ability to flip on MIKE that puts Walt in hot water...

12. BigAlsBro

BigAlsBro Active Member

None ? I think not.

13. Sean Murdock

It's possible that a couple of them might have seen Walt briefly at some point, but really none of them know him -- just as Walt didn't know about these 9 (formerly 11) guys. But they REALLY know Mike, and there's plenty they could tell authorities about HIM, and that is where the threat to Walt lays.

14. McRich

McRich Forum Resident

I'm not digging season five so far. I hope it improves. I wished the series ended in season four. Season four was incredible. I was not a huge fan of season one, but I knew it had to set up some things down the road. Everything in season one through three was paid off in season four.

We shall see if season five is great.

15. Steve in Omaha

Steve in Omaha Never kissed a bear, never kissed a goon

Walt needs Mike for his muscle, savvy, connections, etc. There's no way Walt and Jesse alone (even toss in Badger and Skinny Pete) would be moving product and filling a table with bundles of cash in a day or two. Walt's just unhappy with Mike's attitude, his lack of deference, the Hazard Pay revelation for which Mike wants to spread the cost and, of course, Jesse undermining him right when he was in the process of asserting who the dominant partner would be. (Walt no doubt feels he should be the highest paid partner too.)

This operation doesn't need two cooks, and everyone involved knows it. Mike tolerates Walt because of Jesse, and Jesse remains loyal to Walt. The question is how Heisenberg feels about Jesse.

In short:
    - Walt and/or Jesse need Mike to handle the dirty end of the business.
    - Walt and Jesse together can "control" democracy-inclined Mike.
    - Jesse and Mike together don't need Walt.
    - Mike without Jesse needs Walt.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think Jesse and Walt still need Mike, because Mike is the connection to the cartel. Mike knows distribution on a vast scale, while Jesse is just a street punk who could sell through a half-dozen associates. That's not the same thing as selling a couple of hundred pounds of stuff South of the border.

17. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

For the time being. I'm sure if Walt could find a cheaper way to effectively distribute the product he wouldn't think twice about taking Mike out of the picture.

18. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

Walt also needs Mike for his methylamine connection. However, if Lydia and Walt hooked up (and I don't think they're aware of one another's existence at this stage), I'm sure they could find a mutually beneficial solution to this problem.

19. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I loved Skylar's "SHUT UP!" bit -- I immediately thought of the old Monty Python sketch with that whole bit in it. I'm waiting for Howard Stern to put this on a loop and start playing it to phone callers that drive him crazy.

21. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Skyler really seems to be going off the deep end now that Walt's back in the house for good--and naturally, Walt couldn't care less. That scene where they were watching Scarface was a little on the nose, but I loved the part where Walt handled Marie, twisting things around to both explain Skyler's behavior and make himself look more sympathetic. That man has become the master manipulator this season.

It was great to see the guys cooking again! Walt's idea to use the extermination company as a front was pretty brilliant--and that sequence with the Peddlers' song was masterful--but it's easy to see the potential for complications if one of their new partners gets into trouble with the law and feels compelled to make a deal.

Actuarybrad likes this.
  22. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I think it would make a wonderful ringtone!

23. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

does Stern talk about BB?

I like the mobile lab/pest control house angle. Many angles/stories that come out of that will almost write themselves. They need Mike, but Walt is too meglo now and will do something stupid (or, would it be smart, depending how you look at it?).

Something tells me the last shot we get in the finale will be Walt in the hat and sunglasses again, riding out on top. The "Tuco cube" has to reappear first though

24. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

No comments on the 8/5 episode? What kind of car did Walt buy?

25. BigAlsBro

BigAlsBro Active Member

Chrysler 300

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.