Anyone know anything about 6KZ8 tubes?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Erocka2000, Jul 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've tried looking up information on the 6KZ8 tube, but information is a bit scarce. Anyone know anything about different brands (NOS or new) with regard to their sonic signature, i.e. warmth, detail, etc.?

I just received a demo unit Line Magnetic 515 CD Player and want to know what my options are for tube rolling. My initial thoughts on the 515 are good, vocals are to die for, but I can't help but feel it needs a little more warmth and bloom.

2. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

I've never seen the 6KZ8 used in audio before, so it's unlikely you'll find much info on it's sonic sig. LM must be using the triode section as a buffer in the output stage. The good news is they are cheap, and there is probably a huge supply stashed away, as they were originally used in televisions. I see them on the dollar list at Summer Dollar Days - Vacuum Tube Sale - $1.00 Vacuum Tubes

jeff

3. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

@Erocka2000 — where’d you wind up on the question of 6KZ8s? I notice LM’s relatively new preamp, the 512ca, also uses a pair of them (Mullards).

4. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I wound up settling on some Sylvania 6KZ8s. They added the warmth and heft I was after. Also tried some GEs and some RCAs (one of these tubes was DOA, so I couldn't really hear how they sounded).

JMAC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.