Anyone know if David Gates (Bread) tours anymore?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kwadguy, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

I've always wanted to see David Gates of Bread live, but have never had the chance...He toured for a while with a reformed Bread, but that didn't interest me as much...

I was doing a bit of searching to see if Gates tours anymore, and couldn't even find an official website. In fact, even the Bread fansites seem to be entirely inactive...(Several members of Bread have passed away, so obviously there won't be any new Bread tours).

Anyone know if he tours at all anymore? I think the last new material he released was four new songs on the Songbook compilation from nearly a decade ago...

It's sad that a guy of his talent effectively retired so early. Though perhaps he decided he'd said all he had to say...(The last couple of albums he released were OK, but not great).

2. houston

houston Forum Resident

I don't know, but I would bet money that he does not...I saw him 10 years ago, this month, it was a rare opportunity then, I had heard David had basically retired to his ranch...he was still great, but by 2001 I heard nothing about him, and have not since...BTW, he turns 70 this year, so he's retirement age

3. kwadguy

I suspect you're right. He's always seemed like a pretty straight arrow guy with priorities nearer to home than to the stage...(He's still married to his high school sweetheart--over fifty years now!)

He's probably got enough money, so unless adulation is on the plate, I could imagine he doesn't have a lot of incentive to tour.

Too bad for us...

(On a similar note, I'm surprised that he hasn't ever been tapped to produce someone else's album, post Bread...I would think he'd be high on the list of a lot of lush popsters. Perhaps he's been asked and declined...The only thing I've seen his name on, outside of his own records, post Bread was a 45 I saw in Tower Records in the early '80s that he produced for...his brother or something? Anyway, I saw it once, never saw it again...)

4. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

He toured in the UK, at least, in early 2003. The tour coincided with the release of his 'David Gates Songbook' album.

I'm not aware of any activity after that...was ony thinking about this the other day.

5. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

I was just wondering the same thing myself the other day. What a fantastic singer, songwriter, and overall performer. I'm still hoping for the opportunity to see him perform one day.

6. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

David also did a few shows here in the US in 2006 -- namely a stint at Mohegan Sun. He even played a few Bread "rarities"...I Want You With Me, Change Of Heart.

7. David R. Modny

On a somewhat related note, and while I've mostly been immersing myself in James Griffin's music this past few months (groups, solo or otherwise), I've got to say......

I woke up on this overcast and gloomy morning and played David's "What A Change" off of "Manna." What a freakin' awesome slice of early 70s pop/rock ecstasy. Anyone who simply conjures up images of David Gates as those of rhinestone stage suits and AM love ballads really needs to hear this tune.

8. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Best Of Bread is one of my all-time favorite comps. Perfect! I have Guitar Man as well. Which is the best regular album? Thinking of spending some cash today!

9. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Then get Mana.

10. kwadguy

The first five albums are all worthwhile. You can get all of those for around $21 shipped at Amazon (through a third party seller). Look up

Bread Original Album Series

The only album you miss is the reunion album, "Lost Without Your Love", which is decent, but a step down from the others.

11. David R. Modny

I don't know, and this is just me talking, but I often think the LWYL "reunion" album gets a bad rap. In fact, I think Jimmy's contributions here were stronger overall that on the previous "Guitar Man" album -- Fly Away, She's The Only One, Change Of Heart, Today's The First Day, etc.

Where I think the album usually catches flak is that David's hits are fairly obvious retreads (albeit still good) of earlier hit singles. While there are a couple of clunkers on the album, and the sound considering the era when it came out may be a bit more dated that their earlier records, I still think it holds up well with the rest of the catalog. It's a safe record.

I'll also echo -- get the box will the first five albums indeed! You may be surprised at the consistent quality of those records. I tend to gravitate more toward the sound and style of their first three albums, but I love them all.

12. kwadguy

I will agree with you that Jimmy's contributions on Lost Without Your Love were among his strongest set to any Bread album. (I also think his first solo album post Bread is an under-appreciated gem). But as a whole, ignoring the writing credits, LWYL just doesn't hold up as well for me as the first five: The high points just aren't as high as on previous outings.

13. David R. Modny

Definitely true! :)

As noted, I think those two hit singles were simply mining the same formula as what came before. Probably intentionally. And while they are nice songs and did pay some commercial dividends (at least "Lost"), I don't think anyone would accuse them of charting any new creative territory. Pleasant, but safe. Maybe, a little tired in places. In fact, that's probably a good overall description for the album as a whole. I think it was either DG or JG who later said that they were maybe a bit too restrained and polite for those sessions -- trying not to step on each other's toes.

14. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

There was a listing that must've been removed sometime in 2010 cause I saw it I believe back in the spring where his agent was taking emails if you wanted to book him.

Just now is the first time I see that page has been removed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.