Anyone own a Paramour?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sckott, Mar 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only. Thread Starter

Would love to hear your thoughts on it. Especially if you've owned any vintage tube gear, in comparison to. Much thanks!

2. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Well, I think its well known in the forum that I have a pair of Paramours, but I don't have much experience with vintage tube gear to compare them to. I will say that I never tire of listening to them. I also listen to should mention that I listen to CD's because I haven't had a turntable for years.

I also mentioned in one of the other forums that I've been listening to my music "flat" (no eq) since I've had the Paramours. There's a few CD's where thats a difficult thing to deal with but not with my DCC cd's.

Sckott, you seem to have been screwing around with tubes for longer than I have. I'm glad I bought my first as a kit but from here on out its going to be a completely "build it from scratch" attitude from me.

I received a Magnequest push-pull output transformer today for my PP 2A3 amp I'm building. Unfortunately the other one is backordered 2 weeks.

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only. Thread Starter

Yeah, dem trannys can be a pain. My experience with tubes has, so far proved to me that well....people don't know how to take care of good stuff. I felt like I revived a dying spider plant or something. The work I've done on the Dynaco's have been progressively less time per benching, because I ended up replacing all of the bad wiring and worked on the chrome a bit.

Tube amps love being loved. Much like having a pet. Tubes aren't very furry though.

The reason I asked, is because the kits are fairly low in cost, I just might just continue rebulding dead Dynies. They seem to like me. I liked the circut design of the paramours, but true, there are better amps as well. Was curious on how they stood up to playing flat, like your's.

My basement playback chain is Foreplay (CD, PC, Tuner, RTR) Dynaco ST70, Speeks. If I want color, I go upstairs. I rarely do though.

4. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Well, the way we each set our tone control's or eq's is a subjective kind of thing, but the way I used to set mine I thought I was getting more separation between the instruments. But when I put the Paramours in I realized I was getting more separation than anything I ever owned before and that was with no eq of any kind.

I always preferred music with good instrumentation as opposed to vocals. But noticed I enjoy vocal performances a lot more and acoustic guitar with the Paramours. The tone is perfect and the texture is quite lush.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.