Anyone own Musical Fidelity M5si Amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vinyl Fan 1973, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad" Thread Starter

Sorry I misread your message, my ground wire most definitely has a spade at the end, and that is what I’m using on the MF. I’ve never seen or used a banana plug for the ground.

I thought you were talking about the speaker cables, those are banana plugs.

The MF was great out of the box, but it was impressive to hear the subtle changes once the hours wore on. Also the manual states that the amp needs two hours approx to really warm up before each listening session, and I have to say I found this to be true. Even after the amp is burned in, the 3rd hour of listening is really sweet, especially vinyl.

Ever since I got this amp I’m no longer obsessing about my sound, it’s like the amp got out of the way and disappeared into the background, if that makes any sense. I love that the amp is very neutral and doesn’t colour the sound.

2. Bruce Timm

Bruce Timm Well-Known Member

Reading your experience tipped the scale. Ordered the M5si yesterday morning.

3. Vinyl Fan 1973

Wow, really looking forward to your thoughts. Congrats and enjoy! What do you have now for an amp?

Bruce Timm likes this.
  4. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Slightly off topic - Anyone looking to get into a Musical Fidelity product at a rock bottom price, now is the time. The M2si is being blown out at Upscale Audio at 40% Off!

Regular $999, blow out price $599!

Musical Fidelity M2si Integrated Amplifier

M2si - Specifications
    • Power output: 76 Watts per channel into 8 Ohms (19dBW)
    • THD(+ noise): <0.014 % typical, 20Hz to 20 kHz
    • Signal to Noise Ratio: >96dB ‘A’-weighted
    • Frequency Response: +0, –0.1dB, 10Hz to 20 kHz
    • 6x Line Level RCA (1x includes Home Theatre Passthrough Option)
    • Preamp Out
    • Tape Out
    • Remote Control Included

5. schizzzo

schizzzo Forum Resident

M2si is the same as the M3i, just another name for North America. Good amp and a bargain for this price.

6. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Looks that way!

...And while it looks a lot like its more expensive sibling, the M3si, the M2si saves you money by leaving off the M3si's USB input and DAC and built-in phono stage.

M2si - 76 watts/channel
    M3i - 76 watts/channel
    M3si - 85 watts/channel, adds USB input and PHONO input

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  7. Bruce Timm

The M5si is replacing my vintage Marantz 2265b receiver, in mint condition... and hope to sell it locally.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  8. Bruce Timm

I would like to connect my MacBook with the M5si for internet FM and iTunes. Given the amp has a USB-type B and the MacBook USB-C, clearly
    it is not a simple 'plug and play' connection, and a path I have never traveled...

Any guidance in accomplishing this will be appreciated.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  9. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Swann36 likes this.
  10. Vinyl Fan 1973

You never reported back on your new amp? Just curious how it’s going and if you are enjoying it.

11. Kenn

Kenn New Member

Is the m3si based in dual mono block design like the m5si and m6si?

12. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

MF makes no mention of it being dual mono, so I think it's safe to say it's not.

13. Kenn

Kenn New Member

Ok thanks. So it’s only the m5si and m6si that has the dual mono design?

14. Vinyl Fan 1973

“The M3si is a dual mono amplifier, the only shared element is the toroidal mains transformer, the power supplies and amplifiers for the left and right channel are completely separate”.

From..

Musical Fidelity M3si | The Ear

Swann36 likes this.
  15. Kenn

Kenn New Member

Thanks. So the only difference between the m3si and m5si is the power?

16. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Odd, the MF site makes no mention of it being dual mono.

17. Kenn

Kenn New Member

Maybe a phone call to MF :)

18. Vinyl Fan 1973

I found that odd as well, and that was the first place I looked.

19. Kenn

Kenn New Member

My room is 13.5’X11’ will the m5si and m6si be overkill ? Driving b&w 684 speakers. Or the m3si will do?

20. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Go big or go home. :cool:

macster and timind like this.
  21. Vinyl Fan 1973

M5si overkill? No way, it’s a sublime amp that will drive those speakers with ease.

22. Kenn

Kenn New Member

Haha thanks guys. Now the next question is m5si vs m6si... am I missing out a lot by not going to m6si?

Also reviews are saying the m5si and m6si integrated amps are like separate pre amp and power amp? Due to the way it’s setup... what do you think?

23. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

For the older units, like my A5 Int, it is proudly/boldly printed on the cover of the owner's manual as "Dual Mono".

For the M3si it's worded a bit different and not mentioned until you get to the installation section of the owner's manual on page 5.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  24. Vinyl Fan 1973

At that point I think it comes down to how much you want to spend, and how much power do you need. I think the M5si would be perfect for your situation. Also, many of the write ups and reviews states that the M5si gets you very close to the sound of the M6si.

25. Kenn

Kenn New Member

Ok thanks guys. But with the m3si and m5si in my situation will there be a noticible difference? I ask because should I just get the m3si or save up until I have the cash for the m5si?