Anyone purchase Star Trek Voyager on DVD?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by btomarra, Feb 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile Thread Starter

This came out today (Feb. 24). Anybody bought this set and can give reviews?
    Personally I think the price for this (it's only 5 DVDs) is awfully high. Best Buy had it reduced from around $120 down to $100. I bought my Star Trek TNG season sets for less than that and they were 7 discs each (season two was 6 discs).

Brian

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Too much $$.

If they had all 7 seasons for a reasonable price, yes. But if I have to wait like 5 years for the series, at 100$ a pop, forget it..

3. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Star Trek: Next Gen sets sell more reasonably as used copies. I just checked the Voyager first season, and someone on Amazon is selling a used set for $79.99. Compared to what other multi-disc sets sell for, though, I still think that's still a little too pricey.

4. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I had one in my hands, then I thought "Am I actually going to sit down and watch these?", and I decided to save the $100 for something I might actually use!

5. vibes

vibes Forum Resident

I plan on picking it up today. I have all of the TNG and DS9 sets, and have enjoyed them quite a bit. All of the Star Trek sets seem overpriced when compared to DVD sets from other TV shows, but I'm a big fan and get all of them at a discount price, so I don't feel it as much.

6. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Not to threadcrap, but scout out used copies of the ST: DEEP SPACE NINE collections. Far from perfect, but at its best, some of these stand up to ST: TNG, let alone what came later.

My sister loves VOYAGER, but, like me, balks at the high list. Used sets wil turn up soon, they always do.....

But sorry, I was never a Janeway and Chakotay kinda lad....never clicked for me, can't even explain why....

ED :ed:

7. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Just rented the bonus disc, be sure to check out the legendary surviving footage of Genevieve Bujold's day as Captain Elizabeth Janeway. Her makeup artist and stylist should have been sacked too! Interesting how the people involved tiptoe around her "departure."

8. Ed, I wasn't much of a fan either. I enjoyed DS9 much better, especially the final season. A much more lively bunch of characters...Gul Dukat, Gul Damar, Weyoun, Martok, Quark, Rom, Garak, Leeta :love: , etc.

Andrew, excelllent avatar!

9. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I too liked that 7th season of DS9. That was the only season that I bought of that one. As for TNG, I got all 7! That's about it. Have to deal with my wife, ya'know! :D

10. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile Thread Starter

Agreed Steve! I bought the Classic Trek on DVD and TNG (which were cheaper).

Plus, the cast never clicked for me either. I noticed that there were definite continuity problems created on Voyager that contradicted the plot establishments from Classic Trek & TNG.

Brian

11. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

When Voyager first came on, we were heavily into watching ST:TNG (in syndication) and a little bit of ST:DS9...Voyager just never clicked with me, period. The story line seemed a stretch, and I couldn't warm to anyone in the cast. I only watched maybe the first three or four episodes. And I can't really put my finger on why I didn't care for it. I think one attractive part to DS9 was the occasional tie-in with the Next Gen crew.

12. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Yeah, the initial price--even with discount--is ridiculous....after the first box, I told my sister to wait, they'll turn up used and in fine shape...and the other 6 did, too...and that's how I bought the DS9 and BABYLON 5 boxes as well....Paid anywhere from $50-70 each, far more reasonable.

And although they did remix the sound to what seems to me like true 5.1 multi-channel(on TV they were just Dolby Surround), otherwise there aren't a lot of extras....

ED :ed:

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I didn't buy this set - don't have to! ;) - but I did see it. Here's my review:

http://www.dvdmg.com/voyagerseason1.shtml

(BTW, hate to sound like a shill, but if anyone wants to buy my copy from me, PM me - I'll sell it for half of retail plus shipping...)

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Well, I doubt you will have to wait 5 years, as Paramount managed to put out all seven seasons of Deep Space Nine over a 10 month span last year, but the prices will almost certainly be a bit steep compared to other TV series.

Regards,

15. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

And they also accomplished the same feat with all seven seasons of THE NEXT GENERATION the year before.

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It took Paramount two and a half years to put out "TOS" on DVD, but "TNG" and "DS9" both pumped out all seven seasons in less than ten months each. "Voyager" will do the same - all seven years will be out on DVD by the end of 2004. Some series DO come out at a snail's pace - "The Simpsons", "Get a Life" - but not the post-"TOS" "Trek"! The prices are pretty steep, though...

17. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

What were we we supposed to do? Wrestle her to the ground and force her to wear makeup? She refused to wear it. Be careful who you blame. The source of the problem was Genvieve. She was the only one that needed to be "sacked." By the way, she wasn't "sacked." It was a mutual agreement between production and her that she should leave. That footage never should have been released. I have never tiptoed around her "departure." Nothing to tiptoe around.

SinnerSaint likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.