Anyone recognize this picture?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, May 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

I use PowerDVD software that came with my DVD drive. It has a frame-capture device that puts the image into the clipboard memory. From there I paste it into Paint and manipulate it as far as flipping and stretching goes.

In this instance, the image looked squished; I assumed a 1.77:1 ratio and stretched the horizontal dimension to 177 percent leaving the vertical at 100 percent.

Harry

2. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

I thought it was upgrading. :)

3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

This is a tough one. Seeing the full Hawthorne is a huge help. My guess is it's one of those high school movies played by older actors. If you really want to know I would post that pic at the forum of Hawthorne high school in Hawthorne, CA. Someone there might know.

4. fabtrick

fabtrick New Member

I agree with the "looks like Cindy Lou Whoo" concept. But you've got me interested now, so I'll be keeping track to see if the mystery girls are identified!

"Who are the mystery girls?" David Johansen/Johnny Thunders

5. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

I wonder if the shading of the "Hawthorne" lettering indicates that the original footage might have been color...it's awfully hard to read.

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I need to put an end to Elizabeth Montgomery speculation. Number one: What's missing? The famous chin dimple. The difference is clear to me, but some people see Jesus' face on a piece of burnt toast, too.

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. HGN2001

Good point. Something like red lettering on a blue sweater would fade into each other in black & white.

For the record, the original VOYAGE pilot was shot in color and shown on TV in black & white when ABC balked at committing to an untested series in color. This particular film on the DVD (as an extra) however is a black & white print. I guess my point here is that the scrap footage may have also been in color originally.

Harry

8. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

No, the blonde doesn't look anything like EM, the brunette does.

9. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

:laugh: You're comparing the wrong girl. I don't think either of the girls in the screen cap is Elizabeth Montgomery though.

10. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

LOL

Attached Files:

11. HGN2001

12. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

Don't give up Harry, this lasted longer than I thought it would. Did you try the folks at the link I posted in post #2 yet? I'm telling you, those people know their old TV shows.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

I say the brunette is Ann Margret..?

14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I dont think so, this goes back to Veech's post in post number 3 or 4. You must have missed it. You gotta be kidding me. Someone suggested the other girl was elizbeth Montgomery? Why would you even think that?

15. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Bizarre! I thought we were talking about the brunette looking like a young Elizabeth Montgomery. The last person on earth that I would have thought the blonde looked like was Elizabeth Montgomery, but the brunette has a similar facial structure.

16. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I think the blonde is Elizabeth Montgomery and the brunette is Tuesday Weld; or the other way around if you like. Or neither, but I think that this is fascinating.

17. HGN2001

No stewee, I haven't posted it at the link you gave, not being a member there. I posted it at Home Theatre Forum in a couple of places, but those guys are all focused on Blu-Ray these days and seemingly rarely venture into their DVD sections.

Harry

18. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

For those just joining in, here's what we can surmise so far...

-This is likely a 20th Century Fox production, produced no later than mid-1964.

-The anamorphic squeeze and framing indicates this was a motion picture as opposed to a TV show.

-It is possible the original production was in color.

-The lettering on the girl's shirt likely refers to Hawthorne High School in Hawthorne, CA

-The brunette girl is not Elizabeth Montgomery.

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I remember seeing this kind of thing when watching 16MM films in school. The 9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2 would appear on screen and one frame, usually a head shot of a man, and upside down would appear. Everyone would laugh when that flickered on screen for a brief moment.

My first gut reaction to the shot of seeing two women in B&W was a Twilight Zone episode about two women who kill this guy, and David McCallum is a scientist who can control time and brings the man back to life, but I don't think its those two women in the shot.

20. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Not to get to far OT, but, in junior high, we'd always crack up big time as well. One teacher was determined to not let it happen. She said the first person who laughs will get detention. The movie started and a kid three desks away was desperately trying to hold it in, he was turning red. I thought he was going to pass out. Finally he gave in and just about fell off his chair, howling with laughter.
    The teacher didn't give him detention cause she said watching him try not to laugh was sommething she'd remember all her life.

21. tps

tps Forum Resident

A master of using stock footage. Like the shot of Hoover Dam he'd throw in as the Time Tunnel was spooling up to full power.

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I have to ask. Other than the pure fun of the quest, is there a reason you want to know where this shot came from?

23. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

p.s. I've changed my mind, doesn't look like EM at all. :D Carry on...

24. HGN2001

Pure fun and a natural curiosity. Plus I have seen both of thoses faces before.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Funny, knowing that kids in other schools reacted in the same way. it was even bigger when films were shown in assembly size groups, I could not forget the laughter when that upside down pic would flash on screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.