Anyone recognize this picture?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, May 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I have seriously studied these photographs, and I agree with you.

2. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

It's the lighting, angle and the expression on her face that makes her chin appear longer. The hair is what confirms it for me but the eyebrows and nose are a perfect match too.

Attached Files:

3. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I disagree.

4. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

2 and 3 are the same girl, no doubt.

5. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I'm glad someone sees what I see. :thumbsup: It's a very unique hairstyle (pics 2 & 3) and that was what convinced me beyond a doubt. The 1st pic is the same woman, but decades later.

6. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

My favorite thread in SHF history is BACK!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

As the Original Poster, I'm going to weigh in on the Cheryl Holdridge thing. While I think that the hairdo is certainly identical as evidenced in the #2 and #3 pictures (good job!), I still don't think that the blond in the original picture is Cheryl Holdridge, and here's my reasoning:

- I'm familiar with Cheryl Holdridge's appearance from her work as a Mouseketeer and LEAVE IT TO BEAVER plus other work.
    - I'm also familiar with the blond's face in the original picture, but I still don't know from where.

As a result of those two things, I'm fairly certain in my mind that the two are not the same. But I reserve the right to be wrong and change my mind, should further evidence prove otherwise. Cheryl Holdridge's facial features have a more rounded appearance to me, while the unknown young lady's facial features are more "flat" - and it's not just the lighting.

I like the thinking, and the evidence is amazing - but I'm not convinced.

Harry

8. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Failed Archie pilot? (1964)
    Betty & Veronica
    Cheryl Holdridge/Mikki Jamison :confused:

9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

No, I was in love with Sheryl Holdridge from the Mickey Mouse club. That woman in the still is NOT her. Girl in the still has too long of a chin and her eyes are set further apart.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

Yeah, I kinda agree there.
    Her lips were MUCH fuller than the girl in the still. (hairstyle aside)

11. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

12. HGN2001

It's unlikely that it would be from a TV pilot because of the aspect ratio. The frames that are used on the start of that VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA print are anamorphically squeezed. I unsqueezed it for presentation here.

Television programs of the era were never shot in widescreen, so it almost HAS to be from a movie.

Harry

13. drmark7

drmark7 Forum Resident

GIRLS ON FILM

This is indeed an great thread. But I'm sure no one has yet guessed the actual actresses. I'm a HARDCORE oldies TV watcher. I'm sure I have seen both actresses before. Surely someones girlfriend on LEAVE IT TO BEAVER or BACHELOR FATHER or some such 50s-60s sitcom. Definitely NOT Elizabeth Montgomery or Cheryl Holdridge. Nor is it the girls from I SAW WHAT YOU DID. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that the "brunette" looks a bit like Yvonne Craig! (Batgirl) But it's not her. And I'll add another thought... I recall there is a c.2000s short film out there somewhere... featuring shots of many models that appeared on countdown leader shots. Maybe its called GIRLS ON FILM(?) I even have some 8mm home movie reels that were sold in the 60s-70s-80s that have these "countdown girls" on them. Keep on keeping on... The answer is out there.

14. drmark7

drmark7 Forum Resident

GIRLS ON FILM- links to the short and pics of the girls

Here's some links to to the "countdown girls" I mentioned in my last post:

An amazing collection of countdown girls aka. "china girls:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.northwestchicagofilmsociety.org/projects/leaderladies

GIRLS ON FILM (short on youtube)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    GIRLS ON FILM is an experimental film that captures the fleeting images
    from countdown leaders of old film prints:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea-zdydsnZA

And the link at IMDB for "Girls On Film" (2006):
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1387509

Hope this helps lead to an answer to this thread!

15. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Well, the girl in the movie frame has her lips drawn in. I still find the unique hairstyle is just too damned close in that one pic of Cheryl Holdridge to not be the same girl as in the movie frame, although I do have the 2.35:1 aspect ratio against me, since Holdridge was primarily a TV actress. Show me a pic of another girl with that exact same hair and I'll be willing to possibly change my mind! :D

16. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Although close, the girl in the frame appears (to me at least) to be a bit too old to have been Cheryl Holdridge given the time frame we're looking at, especially when compared to known images of Miss Holder from that period.

17. HGN2001

That GIRLS ON FILM thing on YouTube is fascinating since that is essentially what we're trying to track down. And if ANYONE looks like Elizabeth Montgomery, it's neither of the two I posted, but one of the ladies on that film looks amazingly like E.M.

Attached Files:

18. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I don't agree. 2 and 3 look similar, but not the same.

If anyone has high-res pictures of both, I will happilly study them on my 32 inch hd tv.

19. Jake!

Jake! Active Member

I don't know who they are but I love the brunette's quiet confidence. She's a babe!

20. HGN2001

This is the highest rez I have of the original frame:

[​IMG]

21. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Thanks to the higher definition image, I was able to adjust the width a bit (your capture still appeared to be squeezed a bit) and fix the washed-out image a bit by adjusting the contrast and gamma settings. I know some people say it's not the lighting but lighting can really change one's appearance. I still say this is Cheryl in both instances below...show me a pic of someone else with that exact hair style (and length and colour) who looks that similar and I'll believe that it isn't Cheryl (maybe)! Yes, I know I'm stubborn! :nyah:

Attached Files:

22. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

The girls look more natural to me with the dimensions more like this:

Attached Files:

23. HGN2001

[​IMG]

To me, the left picture shows a longer chin and higher forehead. It's harder to tell, but I think her nose is flatter as well, whereas Cheryl Holdridge's nose is more upturned.

Harry

24. Jake!

Jake! Active Member

But here she is holding a telephone! What further proof could you need? :D

[​IMG]

fr in sc likes this.
  25. HGN2001

This is the frame as it appeared on the VOYAGE pilot film on the DVD (Season 2, Volume 2). All I've done is flip it since it was upside down.

To me, the proper unsqueeze factor seems to be 1.78 to 1.

Fullsize version here

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.