Anyone still use Minidisc, NetMD or Hi-MD???

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chris_G, May 8, 2013.

1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, I certainly could be off! Been awhile...thanks for the correction.

2. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

That Sony MDS-E12 looks like a very nice unit with XLR, Coax SPDIF and RCA Input/Outputs.
    I am curious about the HIREZ you recorded. Would you know :Is the unit really applying ATRAC encoding to the HIREZ signal? Or is the Hirez down sampled first?

[MDS-e12 manual]"A sampling rate converter is mounted in this recorder All digital input signals are converted to the sampling frequency (44.1 kHz) of an MD recorder for recording. "

3. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I did manage to get that software working so that I could upload my mini disc recordings to the laptop. Its good for having no gaps between tracks, and so on.

4. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

I recorded some 24/192 needle drops. If I recall correctly, I set the sample rate for playback to 48kHz before I recorded.

5. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

Would you have the manual for the MDS-E12?
    I had read that your Sony MD unit down samples the audio files input on the Coax SPDIF port.

6. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident

I have a Sony JA 555 ES which i am more than happy with, on Sunday visiting a relative i noticed he has a Sony JA 333 ES and mentioned my 555 to him. He told me his had not been used for 11 years as the tray refused to open and i could have it. On getting it home and having a look i noticed the tray belt was stretched so ordered one online (guessing the length!). Cost me £1 plus £1 postage. The 333 is now fixed!

[​IMG]

kyouki, innercircle, jfbar167 and 4 others like this.
  7. jfbar167

jfbar167 Forum Resident

WOW Those (especially in "Champagne") are quite literally the "Holy Grail" of MD ES decks. I was looking for one (black) on FleaBay years back, could NOT do the nearly 4 figure amount they usually wanted for them (on the RARE occasion they actually has one listed). Would have loved to have one to complete my ES collection of that era.

8. gazatthebop

Now fixed i've offered the 333 back to the original owner, there's a chance he won't want it and it goes for sale

PhilBiker likes this.
  9. jfbar167

jfbar167 Forum Resident

Tempting, but I would prefer the Black to match my other components.

10. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

I'm assembling a complete collection of the officially released soundboard recordings from Woodstock -- they're scattered on various and numerous CDs, BluRays, DVDs and laserdiscs -- and recording them to Minidisc, in the original sequence. I have the first four discs completed, up through the early-Saturday-evening performances. (I'm also including some original 1969 radio news reports from the festival.) I suspect that by the time I get it all completed, there will be a total of 12 Woodstock Minidiscs.
    For labels, I'm using slightly modified replicas of the original square tickets that were part of the three-day ticket package. I aged them a bit, so they're a little ragged and faded -- just like the people who attended the festival! -- and added the "disc numbers" for easy identification.
    The case is a special 4-disc "MD Jacket Case" that Sony sold as part of a brief promotion. It was was sold with four Prism 74-minute discs such as the ones seen here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LA2019, GMcGilli, pscreed and 3 others like this.
  11. gazatthebop

Sold!

12. Clark V Kauffman

I decided I didn't care for the replicas of the actual Woodstock tickets (see post above) and created a totally fake ticket that looks more like a real concert ticket. To maintain the correct length-width ratio on something that would fit in the allotted space, I made them all torn ticket stubs.
    Orange for Friday, red for Saturday and blue for Sunday.
    Looks better to me, anyway....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lwh1, LA2019, BuddhaBob and 3 others like this.
  13. Clark V Kauffman

I should mention that having finally run out of pre-cut Fellowes Mindisc Labels, I now use Avery Sticker Project Paper (Avery Label No. 3383), available at Office Depot, Office Max, etc. for $16 or from Amazon for $6. (Quite a price difference.) You get 15 full size 8 1/2" x 11"sheets of full-page stickers, and you can fit 16 MD labels on a single sheet.

The matte print surface produces good quality photo images and the adhesive backing is pretty forgiving, allowing you to re-position (or just change) labels with no trouble at all. (To get the old Fellowes Minidisc Labels off a disc without tearing, you have to warm them up for a minute with a hair dryer, but then they peel off perfectly.)

adriatikfan and Bhob like this.
  14. ThmsFrd

ThmsFrd Forum Resident

15. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I see from the avatar that I must have posted something a good while back but I can't remember what.
    Anyway, I have two Sony table decks which are still working fine (am I tempting fate?) and two Sharp portables and one Sony portable. I have always loved the minidisc format for many reasons, not least the editing facility.

I could never figure out how to edit on a computer but I latched on to the minidisc system very easily. I bought my first Sony in 1999 (and it's still working). I had about 50 or 60 reel to reel tapes around 15 years ago containing all sorts of recordings going back to 1968, so I borrowed a working tape machine (for about a year!) and slowly recorded everything onto minidisc and proceeded to edit out all the clicks and false starts. It kept me occupied for months on end.

Then CD-Rs became cheap so it was very easy to digitally transfer my discs. But I still held onto the minidisc recordings of the more important ones.

I think MP3 and its associates took all the fun out of recording. :cry:

Bhob likes this.
  16. Always enjoy seeing your work Clark - did you create 'outer sleeves' for this set as well?

Best Wishes,
    David

17. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

Those Sony ES machines were beautiful machines!

56GoldTop and Clark V Kauffman like this.
  18. Clark V Kauffman

Hi, David.

Since there are 10 Woodstock discs overall, I opted to house them in a pair of those Sony 5-disc boxes instead of individual jewel cases.

Then I created a fold-over slip sheet for each box, so the outer cover has the familiar (but psychedelicized!) Woodstock logo and name, and the inside lists each artist's set that appears on the individual discs. The peace signs in the lower corner of each front cover are intended to designate Box 1 (Discs 1-5) and Box 2 (Discs 6-10).

The slip sheets I created for the covert art are pictured below. The front-cover art is printed upside down as seen here because when you fold the slip sheet in half, and slide it into the case right-side-up, the inside liner notes will then read right-side-up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tullman, lwh1, PhilBiker and 3 others like this.
  19. Clark - again many thanks for taking the time to post these.

Best Wishes,
    David

20. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Mini Disc still survives here through the MZ-NH1 portable unit. I have amassed a decent number of discs, both standard and HI-MD from 2001 to 2005. Most of these were direct copies from CD's I borrowed from friends and some awesome dance music comps from vinyl. I don't have this music on any other format, so I spin these discs quite often. I'm on the 3rd gum stick, with no spares left and the power supply cord insulation is flaking.

Cheers

c0nd3stav3l and Bhob like this.
  21. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

What a blast from the past. Young people must wonder WTF is that???? Too bad, another fine format beat out by CD.

22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Nice overview of portable mini~disc players.

23. Jeremiah LaCoille

Jeremiah LaCoille New Member

I am actually looking to resurrect my use of this medium, and am in the market for a player. I miss the “tactile feeling” of putting together a mix of music. I am curious…given current operating systems, are there any MD players that would function with the use of a computer for loading music? I have Mac OS 10.12.2. If not, what sort of setup would I need? Thoughts?

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Why do tbe minidisc high end players from Sony, Denon,Tascam still cost big money. Surely they'll be some reliability problems with these older models ?

PhilBiker likes this.
  25. Clark V Kauffman

No, unfortunately, the Sony SonicStage software you could once use to transfer audio is incompatible with every operating system of the past 10 years, at least.

alexpop likes this.