Anyone still use Minidisc, NetMD or Hi-MD???

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chris_G, May 8, 2013.

1. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

I'm using a PC running Windows Vista and had a hard time getting Sonicstage to load on it. It wouldn't load on my Windows 8/10 laptop at all. I would strongly suggest getting a recorder you can record directly from a CD player to or a tabletop component. I currently have about 15-20 working portables and 3 working tabletop units. They do seem to last if not abused. I would also suggest staying away from any portable that uses the old "gumstick" battery. People tell you that you can get new batteries, but I've had problems getting even new ones to charge fully or work at all. Every one I have that uses a AA battery internally works fine. You can use external battery cases with most of the gumstick users, but it cuts portability way down.

2. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

You could always look at creating a vm and install an early compatible o/s. I have one running XP which I use to do just that (not audio related software).

3. The reason I keep an old laptop with Windows 95 on it. It's like revisiting the late 1990s! :)

Clark V Kauffman likes this.
  4. Jeremiah LaCoille

Jeremiah LaCoille New Member

Thanks (Everyone) for all of your thoughts! I have an old Dell PC that (I think) is running Windows Vista. I will have to dig it out of the closet, and see if I can get it to boot up. Let's say I were to be able to get something that can run SonicStage. Which model Sony MD portable unit should I be looking into? Which is most stable, and reliable?

5. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

I have a MZ-NE410 that is working very well. As long as it can pair with the software you should be good.

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Never used my portable minidisc player.
    Money to burn
    Money to burn.

7. Vetiver

Vetiver Forum Resident

Yeah, I stayed away from the gumstick battery models for the very same reason. Also, the mains adapter and cradle that come with those models can only be used for charging the rechargeable battery (whilst still inside the device). In other words, these models can't be operated while in their cradles and/or connected to the mains.

8. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

I just got a very nice MZ-N10, but I don't have a charger or battery case yet. Guess it'll have to sit on the shelf for awhile.

9. innercircle

innercircle Forum Resident

This is not mine, promise to take a picture soon Wish You Were Here-Pink Floyd

[​IMG]

10. innercircle

Another picture, still being not mine:

[​IMG]

DrZhivago, Bhob, BigGame and 2 others like this.
  11. innercircle

These days I am having a very good time re-recording my old and new MD I had around here, the last thing I could do is to record vinyl to my MDs. That was pretty cool! I have never done a needle drop before, the resulted sound is pretty good.

And I am doing some other comps with electronic, Jazz, Progressive stuff that after recording I am listening to my headphones, a truly nice experience.

Bhob likes this.
  12. Jeremiah LaCoille

Jeremiah LaCoille New Member

I was thinking that I might want to have the option to use this unit to record as well. Any thoughts on the MZ-N707?

13. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

MD Community Page: Sony MZ-N707

Does quite a bit.

14. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

I recently recorded the deluxe edition of the "Sgt. Pepper" 50th anniversary boxed set to Minidisc.

On five discs, I was able to include all of the audio content in the set, plus more than four hours of new audio documentaries -- two BBC programs (Sgt. Pepper Forever and How Sgt. Pepper Changed The World) and two NPR programs (an episode of Fresh Air in which Giles Martin talked about the album, and an episode of All Songs Considered in which Giles went into great detail about the 50th anniversary project and his stereo remix).

[​IMG]

15. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

So, are you taking preorders Clark? ;)

16. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

What...no lenticular?????:p Nice work there Clark.

17. Sergeant Pepper

Sergeant Pepper Forum Resident

It's great that you're still using minidiscs. I love this format too. Really a nice collection, Clark!

Are the two NPR features (Fresh Air and All Songs Considered) on Sgt. Pepper are still available on the net?

18. Clark V Kauffman

The BBC documentaries have expired on line, but a I suspect a quick Google search (with program titles and the word 'Pepper') will turn up the NPR programs.

19. Clark V Kauffman

The Minidisc version of the "Tusk" Super Deluxe Edition released a few years ago....

[​IMG]

20. Clark - do you still have your supply of Neato Labels or are you now having to be creative with other brands etc.,?

Best Wishes,
    David

21. Clark V Kauffman

Hi, David. The supply of old-stock Neato Minidisc Labels is exhausted. For a while, I tried full-sheet, Avery-brand matte finish craft labels, but the print quality wasn't very good. So now I have switched to full-sheet, Neato-brand Blank High-Gloss Water-Resistant Vinyl Labels, available from Amazon, and I have had much better print-quality. Unfortunately, they're expensive: $15 for just 10 sheets. But I can get up to 16 Minidisc labels on a single sheet, so if I only print the labels in large batches, with minimal waste, the cost isn't too bad.

Of course, since these are all printed on full-sheet labels (8 1/2 inches by 11 inches), I have to cut each Mindisc label by hand. Scissors provide the smoothest cuts, but you can't get a perfectly straightly edge using scissors. Using a ruler and blade can crinkle the edges of the labels just a bit, so I am still trying to figure out the best system...

The Fleetwood Mac "Tusk" labels pictured above are on these Neato glossy labels and they were cut to size with a blade and a ruler. They're not perfect, but they're pretty good.

Here's a link to the labels: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FKXOJOY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

22. Thanks Clark.

Best Wishes,
    David

23. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

they look freakin' great!
    if vinyl is back, cassettes are still of interest, why not the minidisc.
    I personally love the format, and still use it regularly, mainly for recording
    podcasts, one off tracks online, and interviews.

Bhob and Martyn like this.
  24. I still use mine on a regular - weekly - basis.

Particularly for editing off-air recordings - everything just works!

Best Wishes,
    David

25. .gvp

.gvp New Member

Anybody know of a fix for the dodgy button problems on the Sony MZ-NH900 ? Mine is practically unusable now.
    I've scoured the net and found mention of a solution, but can't pin down any details for it.
    I tried joining the minidisc.org forum and got redirected to the Sony forums, but they haven't/won't send me a confirmation email.

Thanks a lot.
    Garry