Anyone still use Minidisc, NetMD or Hi-MD???

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chris_G, May 8, 2013.

1. Martyn

Martyn Forum Resident

I still use my Minidiscs, but I mainly use it for downloading podcasts, use it daily. I usually download the podcast Coast2coast with it, I have 3, MZH-10's. I do listen to music as well and it sounds great, but I don't do that very regular, due to CD's being prevalent.

2. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

I have acquired many portable players and recorders (seems every collection becomes an obsession). I have a MZ-1 that I use several times a week for playback. It still records just fine, but I don't need it to since I have a MDS-JE520 that does the job very nicely. A 320 and a 330 are in backup mode. I use one of my portables in rotation daily when I walk. I missed the minidisc technology the first time around, and now that it's much more affordable, I've embraced the tech in a big way.

kyouki likes this.
  3. Adamski777

Adamski777 Forum Resident

Damn these are so cool!

4. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

My eBay account pays off! A few years ago I set up my eBay account to notify me by email whenever someone listed a product for sale that included the words "Minidisc" and "labels." Finally, this week I got a notification and was able to snag a full set of original Fellowes Minidisc labels (from 1999!) for 10 bucks. This package has enough labels for 80 Minidiscs.

[​IMG]

5. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

So, you're gonna make us all jealous about 80 more times! ;)

6. Looking forward to your next projects!

Best Wishes,
    David

PhilBiker likes this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

True dat. :)

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Lordy the motherlode.

PhilBiker likes this.
  9. Clark V Kauffman

This "boxed set" includes BBC Radio's landmark 10-hour documentary on John Lennon, "In My Life," produced in 1990 and rebroadcast a few years ago. It also includes the two-hour BBC Radio documentary, "Lennon's Legacy." (The programs are in stereo, recorded in LP2 mode (160 minutes per disc.)

[​IMG]

D960, Simon A, Adamski777 and 3 others like this.
  10. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

As I type this I'm listening to (and capturing to computer for digital manipulation and mastering) raw audio from Gary Numan's concert at 930 in Washington DC from Saturday night. I use MiniDisc (Sony MZ-R30 / F-99EX microphone) to record practically every concert I attend. Results are wildly variable. Some of my audience recordings come out excellent - some not so much. This one sounds like it may be OK. It will need a lot of mastering/post-production help. I switched mic locations from one pocket to the other for the encore so that came out a lot better.

kyouki, LA2019, Bhob and 1 other person like this.
  11. Clark V Kauffman

My needle-drop of the 40th anniversary 180-gram vinyl reissue of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's "Will The Circle Be Unbroken."

[​IMG]

12. Rachael Bee

Here you are taunting us again Clark! ;) That looks like a good use for 74 minute discs. Would it fit on a pair of 60's? I wish I'd of bought beaucoups more of the 60's back when they still sold 'em. They're so good for the length of albums before CD's. I'm still doing an occasional vinyl.... :righton:

13. Clark V Kauffman

Yeah, the 3-LP set actually would fit snugly onto two 60-minute discs (with one track from Side 4 placed at the end of Minidisc 1, instead of at the start of Minidisc 2), but I am fresh out of 60-minute discs. They do come in handy for LP transfers.

Simon A likes this.
  14. Rachael Bee

I bought, I think, 150 60's when they were closing them out. I wish I'd bought 500!

PhilBiker likes this.
  15. PhilBiker

lol I remember 60s being super cheap for a few months in the late 90s. I think I got about 30 - 40.

16. Which font are you using for the text here Clark?

Looks really good, especially the 'Disc One' and 'Disk Two' identifiers.

Best Wishes,
    David

17. Rachael Bee

Minidisco, remember them? They closed out the 60's sometime in the early 2000's. I was digitizing vinyl, I should of bought more of 'em. You didn't see 60's in physical locations by then.

LA2019 and PhilBiker like this.
  18. Clark V Kauffman

Finally got around to transferring two radio specials from 1996 to Minidisc. Both are productions of The Album Network and were tied to The Beatles' "Anthology" releases of that year...

[​IMG]

kyouki, LA2019, JeffMo and 5 others like this.
  19. As good as ever Clark - thanks for sharing.

Best Wishes,
    David

20. StuJM84

StuJM84 Forum Resident

I've just moved houses and found that i've got 6 of those little boxes that MiniDiscs are kept in, each full of Minidiscs. My Wife is intent on just dumping a load of stuff, these included. But can anyone tell me if they're resellable? Its all stuff i've recorded onto them, and so can be wiped and reused. I dont know the type of disc they are though but i gather there is different types (similar to Cassette tapes).

Martyn likes this.
  21. Martyn

Martyn Forum Resident

I would buy them for a reasonable price, yes very sell-able.

22. You have a PM from me.

Best Wishes,
    David

23. Gie663

Gie663 Forum Resident

I guess they can be sold for € 0,5 to € 1 a piece. That’s the price being asked on second hand on line shops here in Belgium.

24. PhilBiker

I still use my portable to record concerts I attend if the artist allows it.

[​IMG]

kyouki, pscreed, c0nd3stav3l and 4 others like this.
  25. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I never bought one but my brother did. I thought it was a pretty cool format and my brother had a portable that’s he used to make some pretty decent live audience recordings.

I can only invest in so many formats at one time. CDs and LPs keep me busy enough.