Anyone Try A Cleartv Antenna?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by tonyc, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

We have satellite, but watch the main 3 channels through Freeview UHF, due to them being HD over the air as opposed to low bitrate SD on Satellite. It just uses our Arial on the roof, well the little UHF one at least, the VHF one's are useless in NZ now.

We currently get 24 channels free over the air (not counting the 4 or so radio station audio only channels). Only the first three, TVONE & TV2 (TVNZ) and TV3 (Mediaworks NZ) are HD. The other two main channels FOUR (Mediaworks NZ) and PRIME (SKY TV NZ) are still SD :( Four of those 24 channels are also just SD 1-hour timeshifts of 1 2 3 and 4.

2. beatlesfan68

beatlesfan68 Forum Resident

Another happy Leaf antenna user for more than 3 years now.

3. Bill

Bill Senior Member

You may be surprised at the quality of the picture a cheap antenna can draw over the air. Although a rooftop antenna is best, it may not be necessary. Drag a portable up to the attic and try an antenna up there. It may be all you need, and the programming is absolutely free. Multicast channels too, often with vintage programming.

4. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

I got a Mohu Leaf antenna, too. Upstairs bedroom, it gets everything available in my area, unamplified. That includes VHF channels 2.1, 4.1, and the easier 9.1 and its sub channels. I'm 25 miles from most towers. Downstairs, not as good.

I haven't cut the cable entirely. But they went completely digital and now require a box on every TV @ $7.00 a month each. We hardly ever use the bedroom TVs, so I tried the Leaf. Good enough. Even get MeTV, Movie TV, and other odd ones.

5. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

I get 30+ channels. Bith UHF and VHF

6. EdgardV

EdgardV ®

I currently have a basic TERK brand UHF/VHF flat antenna, and I get probably 30 to 40 channels. However, of the 30 to 40, I only consider watching a little over 20 of them. Of the 20 or so, I only watch about 12 of them on a regular basis, plus two weather channels for a total of 14.

7. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I'm 30 miles northeast of Burlington, and I have to have cable. No antenna works here.

8. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

If you're in Jeffersonville, you're 5 miles from the antennas on top of the mountain. That's crazy that it doesn't work, but Burlington TV is a black hole for OTA HDTV

9. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

I mentioned yesterday that the antenna on my roof doesn't pick up any channels. Someone suggested that maybe the issue is that it's an analog antenna..But I just read that there's no difference between and analog and digital antenna.

10. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

That's true. I have a set of cheap rabbit ears that works quite well at pulling in HD channels. Does your telly have a digital tuner?

11. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

I only see an option 'analog fine tune'..
    I selected antenna for the signal and then 'add digital channels' starts a search which yields nothing..

12. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Before buying an antenna, check this website out, you can get an idea of the kind of antenna power that you need from here:
    http://www.antennaweb.org/

Atari265278 likes this.
  13. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

I connected a Mohu Leaf today and am mostly satisfied so far. My biggest gripe is that I'm not getting Fox in full high definition, but maybe that isn't in issue with the antenna.

Atari265278 likes this.
  14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'd consider that a plus! :)

sunspot42 likes this.
  15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I bought two of the ClearTV antennas (along with the stand, the extender cable, and the amplifier for both). It was easy to set up and I'm very happy with the number of channels it can pull in (especially with the amplifier). :righton:

So yes, I'd recommend it if you're looking for an antenna but make sure you buy the stand (unless you plan to attach it to a wall or window) and amplifier too so you get the most channels and best reception.

I bought the antennas on Amazon and all the accessories via the ClearTV.com website. I wish the stand had been included in the box with the antenna but it's only sold separately.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

A followup comment if I may. :)

If you buy the ClearTV antenna make sure you buy the amplifier to go with it. Or, if you buy another antenna brand make sure it comes with an amplifier or that you buy one separately.

They are very inexpensive (about $20 or less) but depending on how far away you are from your broadcast stations they can help you to pull in channels you otherwise wouldn't get with just the antenna alone.

EdgardV likes this.
  17. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Snake oil salesmen are snake oil salemen.
    The oil pretty much remains the same.
    Only the ailments that it cures change from era to era.

Vidiot likes this.
  18. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

They're selling it as what it is- an indoor antenna. :shrug:

19. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

Speaking from experience, the comparison between local signals off DIRECTV and OTA are very noticeable(at least in my area). When I flip to the antenna signal on my tv, my wife has even commented about how much better the picture is.

If not for the DVR section, I'd watch locals on antenna all the time versus through my DIRECTV receiver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.