Anyone Use Ortofon Nightclub E Stylus?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jking3002, Feb 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jking3002

Jking3002 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I got a free Ortofon Nightclub S stylus on a Concorde cart when I picked up my used SL-1200 MK2 and I have to say, I don’t hate it, especially on certain records.

Does anyone have any experience with the elliptical version? How does it compare to the spherical?

PS- I know I can run the OM series styli on this body but I’m specifically curious about the Nightclub E

2. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

I used to run that cart and stylus for a long time. I really liked it. I am a fan of treble, and that cart always seemed to accentuate the highs. It tracks exceptionally.

3. Jking3002

Jking3002 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks @TheVU! Any thoughts on the elliptical vs spherical versions? I don’t know if you’ve heard them both.

I agree with your assessment about the treble. Even the spherical version I’m using now seems to have a bit of a smiley faced frequency response with emphasized treble/bass and a bit less midrange.

4. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

It’s been so long since I’ve had it, I don’t want to give misguided impressions. I did have both, but I don’t recall any wild differences. I will say that I’ve had records since I’ve owned the nightclub, and there is no sign of wear whatsoever.

At the time my ears favored a smiley face frequency response. When I made mixes, my record rips would stand next to digital songs nicely.

That was my main experience with Ortofon carts. I haven’t owned one since then, but I would buy the right one should it present itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.