Anyone using an integrated amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cody @ TARA, Jan 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

2. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

I've got one room of my own, and have never had cash for the top gear, but I enjoy my Wharfedale 9.1's amped by the small but perfectly formed Denon250SE.

3. Gene Zucker

Gene Zucker Forum Resident

I see some easy tweaks... You might want to replace that fuse with a ceramic equivalent. (not expensive) At the least, test the OEM fuse you have for directionality. One direction may sound better. Also, if you have not tried DeOxit before, treat every spade lug that can be unplugged... and also the fuse. I do that, and after treating with DeOxit, I use Silclear on the contacts. SilClear gets the connection the closest you can get to a hardwire connection without having to use solder. The DeOxit and SilClear could really improve what you hear. Finding the fuse's right direction will also help. Silclear Silver-Bearing Contact Enhancer-shop.mapleshadestore.com »

noahjld likes this.
  4. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Also got this:

[​IMG]

and two these: [​IMG]

Manimal, basie-fan, 2point1 and 6 others like this.
  5. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I ran a NAD C320BEE for a dozen of years, and was happy with it. I recently upgraded to Cambridge Audio Azur 851A - very happy with it, as well. The one I also considered, and it gets great reviews, is a the Rogue Audio Sphinx - a hybrid tube/solid state amp that is simple and clean-looking, and has a very decent (if one is to believe the reviewers) on board MM phono stage, which saves you the necessity (and the expense) of an outboard one.

black sheriff likes this.
  6. ds58

ds58 Forum Resident

Luxman R-117

Sonos Connect --> Wyred 4 Sound Remedy --> Oppo BDP-105D --> Luxman R-117 --> KEF LS50 speakers

Manimal likes this.
  7. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Wouldn't that be a receiver rather than an integrated amp?

8. ds58

ds58 Forum Resident

DOH! Yes, of course... I ask forgiveness since I have never once used the tuner, so I guess I thought of it as an integrated amp...

In the words of Roseann Rosannadanna: "Nevermind!"

Manimal, noahjld and Bubbamike like this.
  9. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

The smaller picture is a NAD 3120,no tone controls etc. Still sounds now

10. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

I do indeed, my Nad 3020

[​IMG]

11. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

Nice... I have an NAD from that era in storage right now... Not as nice as yours though... Different model.

12. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

Wow... Ain't nuthin' but an NAD parrrrty.

13. Gibson67

My previous amp was a C320 and I really enjoyed, it served me well!

jdjones likes this.
  14. Gibson67

GuildX700 that Pioneer Elite A-91D should be behind bars! It's a monster, love it

GuildX700 likes this.
  15. Gibson67

Very surprised a Pioneer A400 hasn't joined the thread, punched well above it weight by all accounts.

16. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

After reading most of this I was intrigued at how long it took Rogue Sphinx to pop up. I have one and dig it a lot, more than when I ran separates (Yamaha M/4 and C/4). Cleaner, richer, less clunky, easier...what's not to like? I even like the phono section fine for a 2m bronze, or actually better than fine. My speakers (Pendragons) are super efficient and they pair beautifully with the Sphinx. I have heard it running Tritons and Maggies and was much less impressed by the pairing. Interesting, in the early 70s it was "How many watts RMS?" Not a lot more thought on amp selection. Now pairing components is like being the equivalent of a sommelier. I am glad to have stumbled, at least to my ears, into the sonic equivalent of putting a Ken Wright Pinot with a rack of lamb! Maybe not the quintessential pairing but hard to quibble with it. And an integrated at the heart of it!

Michael Culhane and Thouston like this.
  17. Mike34260

Mike34260 Forum Resident

Is that a nice recapped 3020? :)

18. LH5

LH5 Well-Known Member

Sorry for the bad cell phone picture but this Yamaha A-S1100 showed up today. Even cold out the box I am impressed on how awesome it sounds! It's phono section is not that far behind my MS Nova II.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

It literally takes 2 people to safely move it, near 70 pounds and a lot of that weight is on the left side where the 2 massive power transformers are. Pioneer took the transformers from their 200 WPC Elite M91 power amp and put them in this 120 WPC integrated.

I've actually put this in another system recently, an office one and I'm always amazed at how clean, natural and airy it sounds, effortless at any volume, it is impossible to overtax this amp.

20. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

The fuse doesn't have a direction. Furthermore it's receiving AC current, which by definition alternates direction. Leave your fuse alone this is audiophilia nonsense.

21. Gene Zucker

Here we go again.... Each fuse has markings on its cap ends. It allows you to determine which end is heading in what direction. If you can't hear it? Let someone else find out.

22. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

Lol. Then make sure your speaker wires are pointed in the same "direction" too. :shrug:

23. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Trying this out now just for kicks with Harbeth 7ES3. Peachtree Nova 220SE integrated.

[​IMG]

24. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

Very nice! But no tone controls is a deal-breaker (for me). I find that old recordings often need some tweaking to sound decent.

Manimal and theron d like this.
  25. Gene Zucker

You must think I am a jerk for being able to hear these differences. Correct?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.