Anyone using an integrated amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cody @ TARA, Jan 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JOnny Cox

JOnny Cox Forum Resident

Marantz PM66 Ken Ishiwata Sig. Sounds great, although it's only decent amp I've heard. Could anyone compare it to anything else you have or has been mentioned. As I like metal (about 60% my listening) looking at Rotel 1062, Exposure, Leema, Abrahamsen. Use with Rega RP3 and Monitor Audio RX1. Thanks.

2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Unison Research Unico, modded by Chris Johnson (of Sonic Frontiers and the Parts Connexion).

It's a sweet amp, and with gonads after the modification. :)

timind likes this.
  3. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

I did not. Was considering a 6300 though for awhile.

4. noladaoh

noladaoh Retired

Yep. Line Magnetic 211 with ATC speakers. Amazing. Very powerful little amp. Drives the ATCs effortlessly.

Walter Koehler likes this.
  5. Jason limitone

Jason limitone New Member

Ive never been part of forums haha..I joined this just to pick your brain on all three of these amps! Ive got the 1010..Ive searched just about all that is searchable on them, and a personal account would be great and surely would be helpful towards what direction im heading! Would it be possible to direct message or email?!

Fiddlefye likes this.
  6. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

Just send me a message through the forum, promise to respond. The system is currently running the Accuphase e-202 that I had a complete rebuild on and it sounds lovely. B&W DM-14 speakers.
    [​IMG]

I really love the Yamahas as well, but the rebuilt E-202 turned out to be the sweetest match with the B&Ws. The pairing never sounds like it is working hard no matter whether the level is at a late night low before bed or more cranked up in the daytime. The CA-1000 has ended up in my wife's art studio and the CA-1010 is paired with a CT-1010 and NS-690 speakers in a system in my shop, both somewhat overkill for their locations, but they sound great!

Humbuster, BigGame and shadowlord like this.
  7. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

I am using the Devialet D200.

It includes amplificaiton, preamplification, ADC, DAC and SAM.

I collapsed the stack into an integrated unit because I have little kids that I didn't want touching hot tubes. I love having everything in one place and in one unit but I think that I am going back to tubes/separates because I like the aesthetics of glowing glass.

8. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Helpful hint, remove the stuff off the speakers when in use.

9. Buddy>Elvis

Buddy>Elvis Senior Member

I've always had integrated amps. Recently upgraded from a Cambridge 640A which I'd used for a decade to a Sugden A21SE. Very happy with it.

bluemooze and WHitese like this.
  10. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

I've noticed an interesting terminology difference: to me (and to anyone I've ever talked to) 'separates' means the broader concept of individual HiFi components i.e. CD player, speakers, tuner vs an all-in-one system whilst in North America it seems to be specific to amplifiers i.e. pre-amp/power-amps vs integrated.

In any case, I've only ever owned integrated amps partly for budget reasons but partly for space reasons. My current integrated is one of these, purchased last month:

[​IMG]

11. Jason limitone

12. Jason limitone

I guess i have many questions about the ca 1000 and e 202.. Aside from speaker differences you and i have, these could be the most empirical answers ill ever get short of spending the money to get the e202 and ca1000 and service them haha

First question would be about the order you rank them. Im assuming you have e202 first, so whats next? Also how much better is it than the runner up? My restored 1010 was dirt cheap. It was a friends unit and he owed me sonwe worked it out over the 1010 for 150 bucks.. and I love everyhing about the ca1010, except its much more power than i need most of the time and thats even while im in class a..but if its only a little worse sounding than the e202, its probably worth keeping for now as much as i wish i could say "damn the cost" haha..

that being said, ive learned both the ca 1000 and e202 would be somewhat more accommodating in terms of volume to tone: ca1000 is lower wattage, which is most important, but also has variable loudness which helps even more.. Some people say its a higher quality model. Dont know if they mean the build or the sound. E202, ive also read its sonically effective at any volume.

Ultimately, and again im just assuming you prefer the e202 more.. is it so much better sounding to you that its worth the "trouble"? Or is it other features that makes it number one?
    Also how do the rest stand and why? Im hoping youve tried all three units on at least one of your speaker pairs.

Fiddlefye likes this.
  13. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

I have used many integrated over the years...But just recently as a conscious effort towards simplicity.

Currently I have a BVaudio A300...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before that:

Yba Integra DT
    Revox B150
    Revox B750
    Woodside
    McIntosh MA 230
    Luxkit A300
    Dayens Audio Ampino (upgraded caps)
    British Fidelity B200
    Fisher X-202
    Pilot SA 240, 245, 264
    Scott 222

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  14. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

Yes, I've tried all three units on a number of speaker pairs, including the Reference 3a mm de Capos I run in my tube system. The choice of the E-202 where it resides came down to it pairing best with the B&W DM-14s, which suit the room and which also look good in the space. The CA-1010 is a great amp as well. I wouldn't have kept it for the past 20 years or more if it were not and the rebuild brought it to a higher level than it had ever been in the time I've owned it. The CA-1000 is a bit warmer than the CA-1010, not dissimilar to the E-202 in tonal balance IMO. Where the Accuphase has a bit of an advantage is actually when the volume levels are very low, like when we are listening to a CD when drifting off to sleep. Somehow it manages to give the impression that the full spectrum is completely represented, even without the tone controls being touched.

Jason limitone likes this.
  15. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

1987 Sansui AU-X901 'Vintage'.

Nice amp.

Erik Tracy likes this.
  16. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I tried one of these, and I'm so glad I did!

[​IMG]

[​IMG] :targettiphat:

17. Jason limitone

Very nice! That helps. How long ago did you get the rebuild? also who? How do you feel it was improved?

Fiddlefye likes this.
  18. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

Both the E-202 and CA-1010 were done about 2 years ago. The CA-1010 was finally showing its age and huge hours. The E-202 wasn't having any real problems, but given it was made sometime between '73 and '78 it was definitely time. The Yamaha just sounds much smoother and has a more solid bottom end and the E-202 went from sounding good to being really open and effortless. Both took a few hours to show their colours after the rebuilds, but well worth doing. Now I can have another 30 years out of them problem-free. The Accuphase had a couple of transistors replaced that apparently always get iffy and were not the best to begin with, plus slightly larger caps in the power supply.

19. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Yes, I am. Rega Brio-R.

I don't see the logic in separates.

Extra cables, extra power, extra ... What's the point, really?

One vendor cannot do it right?

20. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

"I don't see the logic in separates."

I do.

There is an opportunity to better design the power amp and preamp to each of their own particular needs with separate enclosures without having to make compromises.

For example I can't imagine my Adcom GFP-565 preamp being stuffed into the same chassis as my GFA-555II poweramp without the preamp suffering, especially in susceptibility to hum and noise and the excess heat a poweramp cranks out. I have a few nice integrated amps but I much prefer the separates I have.

21. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

SN2 Excellent integrated amplifier with some silly redundant DIN inputs

22. Memphisflash

Memphisflash Forum Resident

Wow! That CD player looks like a tank! That must be some piece of heavy equipment ... (ehm, that sounded a bit strange when reading it back)

23. Although I've had separates and receivers, I've mostly used Integrated Amps. Some of the brands I've owned thru the years: Pioneer, Kenwood, Yamaha, PSAudio, McIntosh, Adcom and Marantz. I'm old, so I might be forgetting some. I would love to try a Pass Labs, VAC, Simaudio and Luxman one day, but I'm afraid those are a bit too expensive for my budget.

Luckily I'm extremely happy with my current Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl.

24. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Speaking of VAC, I'll weigh in here with their KT88 masterpiece, the Phi Beta 110i, which I've been using for several years. Love it. The only reason I'd use separates is if I had less sensitive speakers and needed tons of power.

[​IMG]

25. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

[​IMG]
    Ouch....not a very good photo...an Arcam Delta 290 integrated coupled with an Arcam Delta 290P power amp.....long in the tooth,but sounds pretty good to these old ears!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.