Anyone using an integrated amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cody @ TARA, Jan 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

For a one box solution why would you need a preamp? But yes, if you use headphones you'd need a headphone amp and for records a phone stage. But it will sound great with the Naim. Oh and you left out a DAC as well. Still, I was using a phono pre and DAC with my Bryston separates as well. This is about the same size as my BP-25 pre.

Oh and if we wanted a true one box solution we'd own a CDciver or what ever they call them.

2. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Absolutely beautiful! i love Luxman gear.

levi and cat9 like this.
  3. socalcm

socalcm Forum Resident

Same here. My integrated is an Audio Research DSi200.

4. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Would be interested to see a good review of the DSi200. Looks just like an ARC preamp with 200w hiding in the innards!

5. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

I have been eyeing the Pass INT-150. Did you compare it to anything else before deciding?

(Hoping this is not a thread-hijack, as the answer to my question may be of help to the OP as well) :hide: :)

6. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Which Harbeths do you have?

You prefer the way the Mac sounds with your Harbeth to the way the Pass sounded with them?

7. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

I'm really curious what benefit the KI Pearl editions give you over the Reference Series. I mean in terms of audible benefit.

8. I think the KI Pearl is "unofficially" part of the Reference series anyway, but simply a limited edition version (500 units worldwide) celebrating the 30 years Ken Ishawata has been with Marantz. There are probably some differences in features, but not in terms of having a different sound benefit...IMHO. I auditioned both when they were first released and couldn't detect a difference in sound.

9. Linus Vendeen

Linus Vendeen Forum Resident

I was talking about the external power supply; on the naim it powers the pre-amp section. I also have it powering the phono stage rather than take power from the Nait. These are extra options but they do improve the sound. I must admit though I do find the fact that I needed a separate headphone amp annoying as I don't listen through cans often. The fact it also needs a separate power supply is bit ridiculous too. But I think Naim have woken up to this as they seem to have added a headphone socket on to the latest Nait.

Mostly however it was a joke - a joke about having an integrated and still needing extra boxes.

Bubbamike likes this.
  10. Liquid Len

Liquid Len Forum Resident

Another Arcam A85 advocate, along with Graham Slee phono amp, though I understand Arcam phono modules are also pretty good.

11. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I have the KI Pearl SACD player and the writeup says that Ken Ishikawa had a 'hand' in 'hand selecting' some of the components that went into the limited edition int amp and sacd player.

I guess that might mean that higher grade but equivalent valued components were used?

And I think that the construction of each chassis was a bit different, too.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  12. I read that as well, and I should have referred to it, my bad. BTW....we both spelled his name wrong! :hide: It's Ken Ishiwata.

13. Django

Django Forum Resident

A Marantz PM5004.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  14. MedozK

MedozK Forum Resident

How do you like yours? I am in the market for a new amp, and this one is on my short list with the Cambridge Audio Topaz AM10.

15. Django

Django Forum Resident

I'm no expert. It's the first amp I've owned.I have a Rega RP1 & a Marantz CD6004 going through it & 4 bookshelf speakers connected.
    It sounds good to me.

16. bleachershane

bleachershane Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I have overhauled many of these (and own three) and they've never failed to impress me. One of the best 'budget' integrated amplifiers ever made I reckon, and boy do they sing when they receive some much needed TLC!

17. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Harbeth C7es3. And it was the Pass Labs INT-30A, not the INT-150 you are considering. The INT-150 probably would have been a better match with the increased power. I tried a used unit from my dealer, so I didn't have the opportunity to try the INT-150.

I loved everything about the Pass except how it sounded on some rock music. I think it was running out of power on my in-efficient Harbeths. I knew it would be close when I tried it out. That said, on some music, like bluegrass, the Pass was hands-down the best amp I have ever heard. The imaging was insane, all the detail and texture in the bass was amazing... All sorts of individual parameters of performance were the best I have ever heard. But with my speakers some music sounded like a bunch of these individual elements, but had trouble coming together to create a coherent, balanced presentation. That's where the McIntosh MA-6300 stepped in. And from the first moment, everything was perfectly balanced and coherent. It doesn't draw attention to any particular part of the sound. It just sounds right. A very nice match with my speakers.

The Pass Labs amp retails for about twice the cost of the McIntosh. And it feels like it too. Much better built. About twice as heavy. Better remote. But less features (less inputs, no headphone out or MM phono stage). I was fine with that though. The Pass does offer two XLR inputs though, which is nice. I was tempted to keep the Pass Labs amp and then start searching for new speakers. That's how amazing the Pass sounded on some stuff. But I couldn't afford to do that. Not right now. So I am happy with the match with the McIntosh and Harbeths, and don't really feel I am missing anything. I just listen and everything sounds excellent.

18. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

Thanks a lot for taking the time to explain. I listen mainly to old-time country, folk, bluegrass, and, since of late, traditional jazz. So, judging by what you're saying, the Pass may do the job well for me.

tricka and IanL like this.
  19. IanL

IanL Senior Member

Another thing about the Pass Labs amp... Every note had such a beautiful and lengthy decay, it really was mesmerizing.

Kkfan likes this.
  20. EricT

EricT Forum Resident

I just made the switch over to a Rogue Pharaoh. It has been about 6 weeks. Happy with the one box solution.

loudwizard and bhazen like this.
  21. tricka

tricka Member

I usually use integrated amps, mainly because of the limited space I have available to house components. I owned quite a few, and not many have disappointed me. I have enjoyed trying different combinations of gear. Great fun.

I think in the USA there is something of a prejudice against integrated amps, whereas perhaps in the UK (and certainly Australia) they are better accepted.

22. hesson11

hesson11 Forum Resident

As a matter of fact, I have the phono module in my A85 as well as a PS Audio GCPH. To my ears, they are, indeed, very close. The GCPH seems to be a bit smoother in the highs, with greater dynamics and sense of space, but the Arcam isn't far behind in all these areas.
    -Bob

23. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

Arcam Alpha 9. Bought in 1997 and rarely turned off.

24. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

Do you use an integrated amplifier???
    Yeh, about 80 percent of the forum , the original query is made to sound as if having an integrated amplifier is a deviant question.
    I am using one right now to listen to Bix Beiderbecke.
    Y'know, if I used a pre / power amp combo I may have been listening to Buddy Bolden !!!

25. inperson

inperson Senior Member

[​IMG]

I use this sometimes. So sinfully simple and sounds pretty good.

Johnny Vinyl, Robert C and bluemooze like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.