Anyone using their iPhone/iPad as their source?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rockos, May 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

:confused:

Older models of iPhone/iPad had higher capacity? This must have been Apple's best kept secret. I never saw a 128GB iPhone until the 6.

2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

There isn't on iPhone till the 6, but iPod had the large capacity Classic models. Which for music duty are superior for those with large libraries. And iPod was the daddy of iPhone and of iPad. Both hobbled with too little storage. I want a 1TB iPad.

Rockos and Dennis0675 like this.
  3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I was just thinking about this as I was packing for a weekend camping trip. I had a full 160gb ipod that crashed and there is really no replacement for it from apple.

4. gloomrider

I thought the thread was about iphone/ipad, not ipod.

Streaming is the future. The only reason Apple rolled out high capacity solid state devices is so that mommies can capture more video of their babies.

Rockos likes this.
  5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Not everything is on streaming, not everywhere has fast connectivity with unlimited/generous data allowances, and not everything streaming is the quality, or version we want. Consider that. iPad/iPhone with larger storage much more useful for music and more useful in general. Which is my essential point. And makes them more useful as a source.

Robert C likes this.
  6. gloomrider

Not saying I'm embracing the streaming trend. But audiophiles wanting more mobile storage is not a target market of Apple and most probably never will be. There are contemporary examples (Pono, Sony, A&K, iBasso, HiFiMAN, Fiio, etc.) of companies that are chasing that market. And some have capacity capabilities north of 160GB.

Rockos likes this.
  7. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, everything in the cloud so the companies can sift through your data and pics of your wife.

8. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I use both. I use my iPhone via Bluetooth connection to my old late 60's Zenith stereo console and my iPad Air via stereo out to RCA in on my Marantz PM8004 IA. Sounds great to me. I'm not even in the least tempted to buy a standalone DAC. This is purely streaming and, as I don't subscribe to the various streaming services, I'm getting their free user bit rates. I have no music stored on servers.

9. TeflonScoundrel

TeflonScoundrel Forum Resident

I've been using my iPad to airplay Tidal music through an AppleTV connected to my Oppo 105 and it seems to work pretty well. I am very interested in the new Auralic Aries Mini to replace the AppleTV at least though because I'm sure it can be improved on. I'm looking forward to reading some reviews once it's available.

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  10. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Tidal is coming to the OPPO 103/105 via a firmware update.

TeflonScoundrel likes this.
  11. TeflonScoundrel

TeflonScoundrel Forum Resident

Thanks for the info, that will make things easier and save me a little money too. :righton:

12. RalphNYC

RalphNYC Well-Known Member

I've got the iFI micro DSD DAC. What does the Onkyo player do in conjunction with the iFi?

13. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Anyone got the new Oppo HA-2? Seems made for this!

14. gloomrider

The Onkyo software enables playing PCM files above 48kHz and DSD.

15. gloomrider

Yes, the HA-2 has a line level output presented as a 3.5mm TRS jack. The sound quality is quite good for the size. But where the HA-2 really shines is as a portable source. The sound quality blows anything Fiio makes out of the water.

16. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Any chance of their striking a similar deal with Spotify?

17. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Sorry, no idea.

18. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I set my pod on top an Arcan DR-Dock, for much improved sound. Two more advantages are the dock is also an automatic charging station as well you can take a digital signal direct out of the DR-Dock to an even better DAC, which I do with even better results. :agree:

19. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

I do this too. Very satisfied with the sound. A major benefit is that the iFi unit is of high enough quality to fit in my home stereo, and portable enough where I can take it with me on trips.

20. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

Over the last few days I have been reading about the HA-2 and thought this was a cool looking item. I ordered one and signed into iTunes Match to playback on.
    I received the Oppo today and it is an extremely cool looking gadget. A little cumbersome once the iPhone 5 is attached.
    But after Gain and volume were set and songs selected this thing played out very nice. Nice and open, good volume.
    Playing through AKG 240MKII headphones.
    Played back Chicago Transit Authority, Creedence Clearwater - Pendulum and Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman. All sounded great to me.

21. iPad>camera connector>Schiit Sys>Schiit Modi>Audioengine 5+
    >Schiit Magni>AKG Q701

22. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

Just got an Oppo HA-2 this week. It makes my iTouch 5th Gen and iPod Classic sound great.

This is really a nice product. It looks and feels good too.

sharedon likes this.
  23. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I'm listening, right now, to my iPad Air (jazz24.org) hooked up to a Marantz PM6004 and playing through the revamped NHT SuperOnes. Simple mini-stereo out to RCA ins. I can't believe how great it sounds. I sometimes wonder about adding a separate DAC but never enough to actually try one. I figure the set-up I use sounds so pleasing to my ears, why bother with one?

JeffMo likes this.
  24. elfary

elfary Forum Resident

When i'm away from home (basically everyday) i listen to music with an iPhone 6 + Shure SE846 in ear monitors. Very seldom my brain has been treated which such a mesmerizing sound. And there's certain beauty to the ergonomy and simplicity of the setup.

25. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

In my car.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.