Anyone watch the FX series The Americans

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

The excellence continues.

bopdd and Kubricker like this.
  2. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Excellent indeed. We jump right in. Spoilered for now-unless it's okay not to. Actually not much revealed here, but I'm just playing it safe.
    Stan Beeman-hypocrite of the first order. And why does Stan's girlfriend care what his ex-wife does or who she sees?
    If I have to look at close ups of Paige's sad face all year I think I'm gonna lose it.
    Martha, poor Martha. She goes from "Don't touch me", to "We need to decide things together". I predict full turnage by the end of the season (although the preview for upcoming episodes looks extremely interesting).
    So Nina really has a husband.
    Little Phil did not play well with others.
    Nobody does smarmy better than Dylan Baker.

3. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Agree with your spoiler.Paige:doh:

4. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Paige Paige Paige

The actress (Holly?) has those big sad eyes anyway. But when she was standing outside the classroom, not sure whether she should go in or not, it made me :cry:. Then we have her realizing Pastor Tim is a loose cannon and trying to control him. I am very curious to see where that goes.

Plus, how great was that bit with Elizabeth telling her that sources were all about convincing people to trust you? Everything Elizabeth does with Paige backfires, and I think this one will, too. You've basically just told her that what you do is trick people into thinking you're both on the same side.

5. Scopitone

Dylan Baker made me feel sympathy for a freaking child rapist.

The guy's got some skills. I am always happy to see him on my screen.

6. Mr Wensleydale

Mr Wensleydale Forum Resident

This is a truly great show. Am hoping a UK broadcaster picks up Season 4. Season 3 was buried on ITV Encore or something and I missed the first couple of episodes.

Sounds like the high standard is being maintained

7. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

8. Scopitone

[​IMG]

Paige and Martha??!!

We cannot get those two together. So much dangerous! :laugh:

9. Scopitone

10. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Picture reminded me that I read Keri is pregnant and they had to hide her in coats and things for much of the shooting, and then do an occasional CGI shot to flatten our her tummy when needed. This picture certainly fits that bill!

Scopitone likes this.
  11. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Just started season 3 trying to catch up to season 4. Love this show

12. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

If you're just starting 3, you have some fabulous episodes ahead!

Sean Murdock and Scopitone like this.
  13. guidedbyvoices

Can't wait! The first two seasons so far are the only things I thought are as good as breaking bad and better call Saul

My only complaint is how the hell does Martha not know that's a terrible wig!!

14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I've still never seen this show but would like to. Anyone know if it's available without having to buy on DVD?

15. guidedbyvoices

Seasons 1-3 stream on Amazon prime. It doesn't stream on Netflix but seasons 1-3 are on disc if you do DVD monthly. iTunes had a deal for seasons 1-3 for $20 for all of it, but I think that deal expired

Note that only season 1 had Blu Ray, 2&3 were DVD only so streaming or iTunes is the only way to get hi def

chacha likes this.
  16. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Thanks

17. Scopitone

What a ride season 3 is! Can't wait to hear what you think when you've seen it.

mrjinks likes this.
  18. Lonson

Two more seasons after this one.

Break out the vodka: FX has renewed The Americans for two more seasons »

The 13-episode fifth season will air in 2017, with the sixth and final season rolling out in 2018 with only 10 episodes. In the press release, Eric Schrier, FX’s co-president of original programming, boasted about the show’s critical acclaim (we’d argue some caught on later than others): “Through its first four seasons, critics have lauded The Americans as one of the best shows on television and, remarkably, a series that keeps getting better every year.” He also said he had no doubt “this two-season order will allow Joe and Joel to tell this story to its perfect conclusion.”

[​IMG]
    Headsup thanks to progrocker70

Encuentro likes this.
  19. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm surprised they've renewed it for two more years -- aside from the ratings not being great, it already feels like it's heading toward an ending, if not this season then certainly the season after.

20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I'm guessing that the series will end with the collapse of the Soviet Union. They will have to jump ahead in the timeline a bit to make that happen as this season takes place in '83.

21. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

I'm happy that The Americans has a chance to go out with (hopefully) a satisfying conclusion. It will be very interesting to see how the storylines play out- Will Stan learn Phillip and Elizabeth's real identities? If so, will it come with a cost? Heck, will Henry find out about his parents? Does Paige wind up in Directorate S?

Man, I can't wait!

22. Squealy

Do they have to call him "Pastor Tim" all the time? It's getting on my nerves!

23. Lonson

Well, that rings true for me. My Dad, who was a far more conventional "pastor," was called "Reverend Armstrong" by everyone who wasn't part of his family. And during the 27 years he was pastor in the small town of Burton, Ohio I thought my first name might have been "Comma," as I was always "Reverend Armstrong's son, Lon."

24. Squealy

I wasn't really aware people use "Pastor" in the same way as "Father" or "Reverend"... and don't they usually use those with people's last names? I don't spend a lot of time around churches.

I could see Paige calling him that all the time as he's an elder/authority figure to her but I thought it was funny to hear Elizabeth repeatedly doing it too. (There was a lot of Pastor Tim this week.)

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    GodShifter likes this.
  25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Keri Russell is obviously pregnant during this season. They're covering it up with her wearing heavy jackets and dark clothing but you can see it in her face.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.