Anyone Watching-Midnight Mass On Netflix?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Luvtemps, Oct 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just found it and so far it's pretty good,j ust in time for Halloween.

unclefred likes this.
  2. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

Tried. Founding the pacing too slow and the show seems to lack menace? Not holding me...

masswriter, PapaMuerte and MikeInFla like this.
  3. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

Just watched Epi 5. Don’t give up. Intense!

4. It starts slow but picks up. it will remind you of another Stephen King novel.

JKCanuck and JDeanB like this.
  5. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

It definitely picks up…I binged it last Saturday.

JDeanB likes this.
  6. This is a more religious flavored take on Stephen King’s “Salem’s Lot’

Not a surprise given that the writer-director is a King fan and also worked on a King project.

JDeanB likes this.
  7. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Lacks Menace? Are you sure you are watching the same show? Plenty of menace once you get to episode 3. It's very similar pace wise to Hill House and Bly Manor, also by Flanagan.

Aggie87, Old Mac and wayneklein like this.
  8. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

Had no idea about Director but those were both
    shows I disliked. Oh well.. not for me!

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

no, never heard of it...gonna check it out...thanks.

10. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

I binged watched it last weekend. Thought it was quite good though there was a moment in the cave where “what was that priest thinking?” crossed my mind.

JDeanB likes this.
  11. Indeed, it does pick up.

12. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

He had dementia, which had an effect on how he processed what was going on. Also note that nobody in the series ever uses the "v word." I don't think it exists in their universe

13. AC1

AC1 Forum Resident

Terrible! The dialog the characters have with each other is tediously boring (people talking about their feelings and memories in scenes longer than 10 minutes). After a while I couldn't take it any more and so I stopped watching. This has to be the worst TV show of the year. The only thing that is mildly okay is the priest, that is, when he's not giving AA meetings because then it's more uninteresting people talking about themselves.

From the creators of The Haunting of Hill House? Well, I stopped watching that second series too.

masswriter and fairaintfair like this.
  14. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

The Haunting of Hill House, was incredibly poor and this is a big improvement from the same creators.

Whilst is does start off at a slow pace, it's critique on religion keeps it at least interesting, with things ramping up from episode 3.

However the last episode can't totally live up to what came before but it's a recommended watch.

Veech, YardByrd and Old Mac like this.
  15. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Finished it last night. Liked it a LOT more than Haunting of Hill House! Anybody recommend the Bly Manor series? want to give it a go if there's any positive feedback...

Daedalus likes this.
  16. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Glad to hear it picks up because I bailed on it after the first episode. I will give it another chance as soon as I finish "Squid Game".

17. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

We just finished it this past weekend. There are some holes in the story-some things not really explained or it is left to you to decide what it is about. It is stylish and there are some moments where the scenes are quite affecting. It is worth watching for 7 episodes.

18. Mr Matchbox

Mr Matchbox Forum Resident

I'm really enjoying it (up to end of episode 5 now and loved the ending of that one). As mentioned above it's reminiscent of Stephen King's earlier novels. I like the long discussions the characters have and think the cast pull it off extremely well (so far at least). The cinematography is superb for a TV series.

Daedalus and JDeanB like this.
  19. MikeInFla

Finished Episode 4 and this thing is just moving too slow. Might have been better as a 2 hour movie? Either way I am still watching. But greatly disappointed in the ending of Episode 4, I hope something comes of it!

20. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

Finished it today and I really enjoyed it. Didn't find it too slow at all.

MikeInFla likes this.
  21. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I am a couple of episodes in and like it a lot. Good characters and atmospheric filming. Interesting island location. Mysterious.

22. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I recommend Bly Manor! Great series. Especially if you are a Henry James fan.

YardByrd likes this.
  23. MikeInFla

One episode to go and I am glad I came back to it after the first episode!

YardByrd likes this.
  24. Jimmy Disco D

Jimmy Disco D Forum Resident

I enjoyed it pretty much the whole way through, although I did find some of the lengthy philosophical discussions to be a bit much…. Some scenes just appeared too obviously scripted which disrupted my immersion in the story.

I liked it though, there were some interesting ideas there, and the script and acting were generally great. I can’t remember her name but that woman who worked in the church was really good, I genuinely disliked her character from the get go. I was a bit surprised that anyone would accept her leadership at the end though.

unclefred and BellaLuna like this.
  25. MikeInFla

There is one part of the story I figured out pretty early on - Sarah mentioned the priest always started at her. When she said that I figured out why.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.