Anyone with a Japanese first pressing of Billy Joel *52nd Street* on CD (CBS label)?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Mar 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Interesting. My copy says "35DP-1 11 1" for matrix code. My made-in-Japan Piano Man also has a matrix code that begins with "35DP-1."

FWIW, I just took a closer look at the Turnstiles CD I like so well. It seems to be made in the USA, though nothing anywhere specifies country of manufacture aside from the note on the back cover that says the CD is manufactured by Columbia Records, and then gives the company's NYC address. This CD was released after the first wave of BJ releases on CD, and by that time it could well have been made in the USA. I can't tell from the CD, though--I'd have expected something like the DADC logo on the inner plastic ring or something, unless the CD came out later than 1985 or so. (No dates on the CD, either, aside from the original LP release copyright.)

2. chrischross

chrischross New Member

I'm baffled then -- the catalog number for the first Billy Joel Japan release would then be different than CK 35609. For instance, I have a really old Bruno Walter CBS disc from 1983 that was made for Japanese release (catalog number 35DC 88). The price guide is probably incorrect about the usage of CK 35609 then for the first Japan release.

I have both a 52nd Street and Nylon Curtain that do not have the solid black label, but say "Made In Japan" in every other respect. Maybe these were the Japanese pressings made for first US release??

The price guide indicates that 52nd Street was the first CD commercially released on October 1st, 1982, and the US release followed in March 1983.

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

Chris, I noticed that in the price guide earlier this evening. I am quite sure that the price guide is incorrect with respect to the Japanese version of 52nd Street released in the US (CBS CK 35609). Was the CK 35609 disc the first CD released in the US?

I lied earlier in this thread when I said I had no Sony black-label CDs pressed in Japan. I have such a copy of Boston Don't Look Back. Amazingly, I found a sealed copy on eBay cheap about three years ago. I opened it. The catalog number is 35BP-7, and the disc is in a smooth-edge jewel case. My old US copy was pressed in Japan, and the disc looks similar to my Japanese pressing of 52nd Street.

4. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I guess I'm in the minority when I say I prefer the new Joel discs to the older ones. I have all of Joel's CDs, both new and old. The new discs are cleaner, more natural and open sounding and generally have less grunge between you and the music. The soundstage is wider and the fidelity is better. Don't know why they get poo poo'd around here so much. After listening to the remasters for the last couple of years I put in the old CDs today. Screechy, unnecessarily noisy and veiled. It's like watching a used 16mm print of a movie instead of a nice 35mm print.

5. chrischross

chrischross New Member

The price guide is "correct" in the sense that CK 35609 is the Japan pressed, US release. The notation underneath "1st commercial CD, manufactured in Japan, Black label on disc" is true as well, just not for this catalog number (CK 35609).

The price guide is not clear as to whether or not 52nd Street was the first available US release. Page 57 does nothing to clear up the confusion:

"On October 1, 1982, the first CD was finally introduced to the consumer market in Japan. Billy Joel's 52nd Street got the honors. CDs, however, were not introduced to the United Status until March 1983."

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

Chris said:

Yes, exactly.

Chris also said:

I read this last night, hence my question. ;) It's also funny that the copy of 52nd Street shown in the book is not the 1st commercial CD nor the Japanese pressing released in the US. I'm very surprised that the book does not show a copy of the first commercial CD. Is it that difficult to find? There are a lot of other rare discs shown.

7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Actually my copy of Aqualung has the 1984 remastering copyright date but when I turn up the volume, I can hear the last 6 quiet seconds of music so I can assume it's the 1988 remaster.

8. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

FWIW, I completely agree. But when I post here saying "hey, these new CDs sound pretty damn good" I feel like I just passed gas at a party.

While I don't doubt that the original 52nd Street sounds good (it was, after all, the FIRST commercial CD issued to kick off revolutionary technology. They weren't gonna screw this one up), the other originals I've owned aren't so good. "Piano Man" is a murky pile of mush, "Songs in the Attic" and "Nylon Curtain" sound edgy and give me a headache. The remasters, IMHO, are noticeably better.

And I'll say it again, I think the remastered CD of "Turnstiles" even improves on the original LP.

Dan C

9. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

Jamie, Dan: no worries. I'm fully prepared to believe that remasters CAN sound better ... it's just that they usually don't. But success stories to my ears include Yes remasters, the remaster of Toys in the Attic, and others. My original Japanese Songs in the Attic has a bit of clatter and edge to it, so I'm hopeful a remaster got it right. And if the remaster of Turnstiles is as good as you say, huzzah! I haven't heard any of the BJ remasters ... but y'all's opinions carry a lot of weight with me!

10. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

That is exactly right. The Japan for JAPAN releases have the 35-BP# catalog #s & had OBI strips. I have a West Side Story ST like this. I feel these original Billy Joel discs are HORRIBLE. Their use of pre-emphasis seems to play havoc with some players that don't decode it so well, so your mileage may vary, but I find them to be fuzzy & weak. Anyway, the SACD kills all comers, so this is all moot.

11. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

I really like the BJ remasters (and SACDs) as well. They sound full and detailed without being squished and lifeless.

Ryan

12. jroyen

jroyen Forum Resident

There are only a few handfuls of recordings that you could call definitive. And while maybe the latest Billy Joel remasters aren't definitive, they certainly stay true to the Billy Joel sound. And I can't fault any remastering engineer who decides to update a recording, while still keeping it consistent with the originals.

I think Ted Jensen did a marvelous job, both times. I'm with Ryan and Jamie on this one.

Josh

13. Dob

Dob New Member

Your opinions are welcome, but please refrain from thread crapping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.