Aphex Twin Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hedin, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Hedin

Hedin Forum Resident Thread Starter

what the title say.

R. D. James aka Aphex Twin, aka AFX and many different monikers.
    the Jimi hendrix of electronical music parhaps, or Mozart.

peace out.

2. My Home Townes

My Home Townes Forum Resident

In case people ask, who?

fenderesq likes this.
  3. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

My roommate loves Aphex Twin. I will say that I love "Inkeys", largely due to an inside joke. I like electronic music when it's not obnoxious, which pretty much means Aphex Twin is the only electronic artist I enjoy.

4. nlgbbbblth

nlgbbbblth Senior Member

Me.

Username inspired.

Bought Selected Ambient Works 85-92 in Dublin in 1992 and got hooked .

5. Hedin

Have listed SAW 2, as some of my favourite musik for good part over a decade, and I'm
    really liking he's new releases CCAI pt.2 and stuff.

Glad the guy is alive & well, creating new work still!

6. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

mmmmmashed pooootatooooes.

Trbnado likes this.
  7. Hedin

Spots from Selected a w vol 2.

8. subzro

subzro Forum Resident

An all time favorite. I have a signed copy of Surfing On Sine Waves that is priceless to me.
    My two favorite tracks are Analogue Bubblebath 1 and Quoth (Wooden Thump Mix).

Brenald79 likes this.
  9. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

SAW2 is one of the best albums of all time. :cool:

proedros, Runicen and dsky like this.
  10. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

It's hard to keep up with Richard's works, but I try. I'll readily admit that he's very much a hit or miss artist with me. I can do without the Milkman Titty songs and the ones with non-stop kids' laughter or whatever. SAW 2, Surfing, On EP, Seefeel remixes, Analogue Bubblebath EPs, Xylem Tube, Digeridoo, etc., that's the stuff.

smokeverbs likes this.
  11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

A genius indeed!

12. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

Has anyone put together interesting compilations based on the giant set of files RDJ released via Soundcloud over the last year? Any favorite tracks?

Brenald79 likes this.
  13. rabarbar

rabarbar Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Epic album :)

ghostnotes likes this.
  14. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

15. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

I mean seriously. Search function. HELLO.

16. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

New Aphex Twin EP - Cheetah - coming July 8th, 2016.

Bryan T, Hedin and mantis4tons like this.
  17. phish

phish Jack Your Body

I've got pretty much all his stuff. My favorite release is the Polygon Window, Surfing on Sine Waves, just a brilliant album.

Brenald79 likes this.
  18. Vern

Vern Forum Resident

I'm so excited about this I want to cream myself! I've loved everything he released since coming back with Syro.

Total legend. I bow down to him.

Hedin likes this.
  19. medium Rob

medium Rob Forum Resident

Drukqs is a masterpiece. Love the sequencing, and the variety of tracks

Analords and The Tuss ain't too shabby, either

20. Hedin

I like what he is doing with sounds and frequencies. Having begun appreciate music on the Solfeggio scale, I'm sensing that these things matter. Many people would probably dismiss these things as new age pseudo science. But thats an old story anyways.

from Pitchfork interview:

"I've been using my own scales for quite a long time now, since Selected Ambient Works Volume II. It's got some scales I made myself, where I just make my own tuning, basically, and compose from that. I've got a weird balance problem, as a human being, like I'm dizzy, and it's something to do with that. I'll fall over sometimes, just walk into walls, things like that. There's something wrong with my brain, it doesn't work properly! I can hear the same pitch in both ears, whereas for most people, if you listen to one pitch in one ear, it's slightly different in the other. That's how your brain works out direction. But mine's really close. I don't know what it is, something internal."

"it always sounds more right to me when it's detuned. When it's right in tune, it's like there's something slightly off. But at the end of the day, it's all about frequencies and what they do to you. That's the real core. Forget all the equipment, forget the music, it's just literally frequencies and the effects on your brain. That's what's everyone's essentially after."

"It is all about sound, but people forget that. They think, "Oh, I want to hear a nice tune." But what you're actually saying is you want to hear the combination of frequencies that make you feel a certain way. And more excitingly, it's about finding out the new ones. A lot of composers before me have been on this mission to change the world by getting off equal temperament, and I'm definitely one of those.

You're brainwashed in the West with equal temperament, so it's quite hard for people who like following rules to get outside of that and see what you can do. But for me it's easy because I don't work like that. I work intuitively. I actually prefer it if I don't know what I'm supposed to do. If you've got an equal temperament piano keyboard, then you know what you're going to get if you play certain chords. But I actually like it if you don't know where the notes are, because then you do it intuitively. You're working out a new language, basically. New rules. And when you get new rules that work, you're changing the physiology of your brain. And then your brain has to reconfigure itself in order to deal with it.

So if you hear a C-major chord with an equal temperament, you've heard it a million times before and your brain accepts it. But if you hear a chord that you've never heard before, you're like, "huh." And your brain has to change shape to accept it. And once it's changed shape, then you have changed as a person, in a tiny way. And if you have a whole combination of all these different frequencies, you're basically reconfiguring your brain. And then you've changed as a person, and you can go and do something else. It's a constant change. It could sound pretty cosmic and hippie, but that is exactly what's going on."

21. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

[​IMG]

manco and Hedin like this.
  22. Hedin

Amazingly Posh cover
    hoping we'll get another version of this gem from his soundcloud by this release

Looking forward to this release!

23. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

Any love for remixes for cash?

24. medium Rob

medium Rob Forum Resident

...sounds pretty much the same as the SC version

'remixes' is nice and listenable...

Hedin likes this.
  25. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident