Aphex Twin Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hedin, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

Very disappointed that 2X202-ST5 isn't on the vinyl. Damn you Warp! This track is just so bangin'

2. pdovore

pdovore Forum Resident

Still one of my favourite electronica albums.
    If you can, try and listen to the Japan 1st issue SRCS7349 (CD made by Sony) which is very good at resolving fine details. By comparison, the 1st Euro edition AMB3922 (CD made by DADC Austria) sounds considerably less precise.
    Of course, in my humble opinion.
    Cheers

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  3. medium Rob

medium Rob Forum Resident

Any love for The Tuss?

4. medium Rob

those two tracks took a minute to grow on me and they've become favorites as well. 4 bit and shrymoming mix (tracks 4 + 8) are the other longstanding favorites, along with XMAS_EVET10 (epic)

so much to chew on in s950tx16wasr10.. many twists and turns. it feels like one of the meatier tracks of the album

5. Remote Control Triangle

The Tuss EP's contain some of his best work ever. I have Rushup Edge on vinyl and it just melts my face off. Synthacon 9 is a masterpiece.

Maurice likes this.
  6. medium Rob

Likewise, it's one of the few albums I have in both formats. I used to listen to over and over in the car, when visiting my parents. Confederation Trough is a worthwhile little ep as well... a lot of nice homemade touches to his music. Fredugolon 6 is all-time

7. Hedin

Hedin Forum Resident Thread Starter

Listening to some Soundcloud aphex on youtube. present favourites Pretend Analog Extmix 2b, 28 organ, (HAB un23), 36 natalie,jane,me,hawke (imperial ring), 18SsbA
    there was SO much good released on the Soundcloud "dump". Going to take a while to appreciate all, which I appreciate, and I have a feeling I'll be making new discoveries again and again here.
    SoundcloudD is a Big Fish.

Been getting curious about Melodies From Mars. Reading about him having reworked the album over the years, and that it was planned for release. Haven't really listened so much to the "demo",
    but a proper release sounds like could get pretty interesting to me. that, and the thought that it is an idea/sketch that has been abound since 1995...

8. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

9. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Really enjoying it too. This and Syro are really good releases. He is expected to re-invent the wheel every time he releases something new but I am happy he is just releasing music again and it is of a consistently very high standard.

10. drfindley

drfindley Well-Known Member

I've listened to Cheetah at 33 and now I'm listening at at 45 and I honestly can't be convinced both aren't the correct speeds.

phish and fitzrik like this.
  11. earlofallsorts

earlofallsorts Member

Just got ICBYD vinyl today the warp repress sounds incredible.

12. Hedin

speaking of sound quality, personally thinking of the vinyl, and of the newer releases, Analord up to Cheetah, and since we are on the SH forums, aren't these quite good sounding releases?
    all those analog synthesizer equipment... And heres a little quote from the syrobonkers interview: "none of the tracks on Syro were multi tracked into the computer , they were all recorded live to 2 track, which is kinda insane but the way i like it."

13. earlofallsorts

earlofallsorts Member

ICBYD has some proper nightmare inducing stuff on it

14. Remote Control Triangle

I know. It's just incredible. The fact that he uses a hardware sequencer for Syro is just totally mind boggling. Love the analog purist approach, that's how it's done. I think Richard is actually an audiophile as well.

Hedin likes this.
  15. Remote Control Triangle

BTW, ICBYD is 100% analogue as well according to Luke Vibert.

Hedin likes this.
  16. medium Rob

another legendary track.. i'd love to hear it on a thousand dollar setup

17. medium Rob

"Yeah, it's written for my wife. When I first did that, I did this installation-y art thing at the Barbican with a remote orchestra. [The song] was made on my Disklavier [controlled piano], which was swung from the roof at that gig, and there was this massive Doppler effect. It is pretty mental. There's a bad cameraphone version of it on YouTube, but in the flesh it's ****ing amazing. To listen to this piano swinging, you almost see all the notes stretching out, so it'll hit you at different times. I never knew if it was going to work or not, and everyone was like, “What the **** is he swinging a piano for?” But when we actually got it going, we were just like, “****ing hell.” It was so extreme. My friends were like, “Are the strings stretching?” The pitch deviation is that big, it sounds like the actual frame is contorting. Maybe it is, I don't know!" - Richard D. James

It's Felix and Hedin like this.
  18. Hedin

Stellar ambient work from the soundcloud dump. To one day see a new full ambient album released is a wet dream indeed.

Brenald79 likes this.
  19. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Polygon Window and Druqks are my favorite. Had nearly everything he's done on an IPod at one point.

phish likes this.
  20. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Full set from the Day for Night festival in Houston last month - there are other videos in circulation, but this is the highest-quality one I've run across:

Slack Babbath, Hedin and phish like this.
  21. rabarbar

rabarbar Forum Resident

It's impossible to get Analords digital version these days. Once Rephlex records offered these in mp3 format,but their site has been down for ages.

22. greenoort

greenoort Forum Resident

Druqks is an absolute masterpiece and I can't get enough of it. It blows me away every time, god bless you Richard.

23. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I managed to get a copy of the new 12" featuring "3 GERALD REMIX" and "24 TSIM 2" from the Technical Equipment Supply label shop, as a friend lives close enough to pick one up. Both tracks are fantastic and were part the Soundcloud dump, I believe. It would be ideal if he compiled a full album of the best of the Soundcloud tracks, but I sorta doubt that will happen.

24. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Seriously considering the 9-hour round trip drive to Ypsilanti so I can buy that thing!

In case you couldn't tell from my username... I'm a fan. LOL

25. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

You might just want to grab one off of Discogs. It would save you a considerable chunk of time and probably money, too.